Help: New Stock for Savage Model 16FSS

PDA

Random Discharge
December 22, 2008, 04:40 PM
I've a Savage 16FSS in 308 Winchester that I'm thinking about putting a new stock on. I'd like to increase the 6.5 lb weight of the rifle (~7 lb with its 2-7 32mm scope I would guess) a bit to tame its recoil.

It's a hunting rifle. I wouldn't want to lose accuracy, but neither am I out to make it be all it can be at any price. Laminate is where I'm thinking now. Any suggestions? Specific companies or brands would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help: New Stock for Savage Model 16FSS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jerry D
December 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
stockade gun stocks I believe is a place. You can get a cheaper in price but not in quality unfinished stock from them, or have them do the finishing work for an extra 100 or so...

35Rem
December 22, 2008, 05:58 PM
Boyds gunstocks. Near complete stocks available.
2 shades of laminate are standard.
Best to call first to verify fit and finish for your rifle.
(I have NOT bought from them)
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Classic-Replacement-Stocks-Savage-s/35.htm

browningguy
December 22, 2008, 09:58 PM
sharpshootersupply.com also makes pretty decent stocks. I used their LVT on my model 12FV.

Random Discharge
December 23, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I forgot to mention I'm a southpaw-the 16FSS is really a 16FLSS.

Boyd's looked promising, except it looks like the sporter has the cheek peice on the "wrong side." Their thumbhole stock is LH, but I'm not interested in a thumbhole stock. Sharpshooter supply's Monte Carlo looks good, but a pricey at $279.

Perhaps I need to reconsider the laminate thing and go for a Belle-Carlson Carbellite or DuraMax. I'll probably miss the goal of increasing weight though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help: New Stock for Savage Model 16FSS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!