SHTF/Home Defense Rifles

PDA

Dynasty
December 22, 2008, 08:25 PM
What other rifles are the "go-to" rifles when a SHTF/home defense situation? Something that can handle close encounters as well as 100-200 yard threats? From what I've found out searching through the forums...

-AR15
-AK47
-SKS
-Mini 14

Those seem to be the most popular. What other rifles would do well?

If you enjoyed reading about "SHTF/Home Defense Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
monkyboy1975
December 22, 2008, 08:28 PM
An appalacian assault rifle, aka winnie 94 or marlin 336.

Redneck with a 40
December 22, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have an SKS for this purpose.:D

Macmac
December 22, 2008, 08:35 PM
To me no rifle is a good inside the house SD weapon.. A shot gun does this job better than anything.

Most any real rifle will shoot thru a bad giy and then a few more walls.

I suppose if you live alone it might not matter.

For outdoors a folder can be about no more than a big pistol..

I was never sold with Rugers mini 14 in any caliber.. They seem to be very fussy guns.

QuietEarp
December 22, 2008, 08:47 PM
I was gonna add the lever guns that monkyboy1975 mentioned. I think I would grab an SKS. If they got too close that scary bayonet might come in handy. One of the shorter barreled ones would be best.

alaskanativeson
December 22, 2008, 08:54 PM
Nothing says "safe home security is practiced here" better than the cycling of a 12 gauge shotgun.

woof
December 22, 2008, 09:27 PM
I don't consider anything 200 yards away (or even 100 yards) to be a "threat." That said, mine is a Marlin 1894c .357.

T191032
December 22, 2008, 09:31 PM
"An appalacian assault rifle, aka winnie 94 or marlin 336."

Agree. Either in pistol calibers .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 "long" Colt or rifle calibers .30-30, .35 Remington, .38-55.
No "Assault Rifle" stigma, more "grandpas or grandma's old deer rifle"

"What other rifles are the "go-to" rifles when a SHTF/home defense situation? Something that can handle close encounters as well as 100-200 yard threats? From what I've found out searching through the forums...

-AR15
-AK47
-SKS
-Mini 14

Those seem to be the most popular. What other rifles would do well?"

May face the "Assault Rifle" stigma unless a good defense Attorney effectively points out the "good guy" (police) use of said rifles by example.

Big Bill
December 22, 2008, 09:50 PM
Has anyone tried one of these Hi-Point carbines in 9mm or .40?

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/images/guns/4095b_carbine.gif

Barrel length: 17.5"

Overall length: 32.5 "

Weight: 7 lbs.

Stock: All-weather polymer

Finishes offered: Black, Camo

Capacity: 10-shot magazine standard

Sights: Fully-adjustable

All Hi-Point carbines feature:
Scope mounts
Sling and swivels
Grip mounted clip release
Quick on-off thumb safety
Operations safety sheet
Free trigger lock
Lifetime warranty
100% American-made, parts and assembly

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/40carbine/40_carbine.html

Bigfoot
December 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
Pistol caliber carbines especially .40 and .45.

M1 Carbine

Kel-Tec SU-16

M1A

Cetme .308

FAL

Honestly even 100 yards is long for self-defense (that's why I included the Carbines)for most situations but who am I to argue against something a person whats to do.

TexasRifleman
December 22, 2008, 10:18 PM
To me no rifle is a good inside the house SD weapon.. A shot gun does this job better than anything.

Most any real rifle will shoot thru a bad giy and then a few more walls.

Well, pretty much all the testing and real life disagree with that.

It's all about ammo choices, not what fires the ammo.

I can find shotgun loadings that will go through walls all day long, and I can find rifle rounds that will not.

Ammo is what matters, not the delivery system.

mljdeckard
December 22, 2008, 11:23 PM
My primary is my 870, but my backup (and my wife's primary) is an M-1 carbine.

DarkCharisma
December 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
I'd personally take my AR-15 out of any of those rifles. Damn good accuracy, unmistakable "evil gun" look, and the .223's ballistics make over penetration a minor concern, especially with hollow point 55gr. rounds.

Doc_Jude
December 23, 2008, 12:01 AM
My primary is my 870, but my backup (and my wife's primary) is an M-1 carbine.

That's a great combination. Even though the M-1 carbine isn't a 30-06, it's an outstanding short-range urban weapon design.

A little data comparing the .357mag to the .30 Carbine, courtesy of Chuck Hawks:

(for the .357 mag) Factory ballistics tables call for a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps for the 125 grain JHP with 583 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. For the 140 grain JHP the MV is 1360 fps and the ME is 575 ft. lbs. For the 158 grain JHP the MV is 1235 fps and the ME is 535 ft. lbs. These figures are all for a 4" revolver barrel.

From a carbine length rifle barrel .30 Carbine factory loads drive 110 grain RN bullets at a muzzle velocity of 1,990 fps. Muzzle energy is 977 ft. lbs. At 100 yards the little bullet is traveling at 1,567 fps and still has 600 ft. lbs. of energy. It is a self-defense and small predator cartridge when expanding bullets are used, and a great plinker with FMJ bullets.

SHvar
December 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
I have both the AR and the Mini-14, unless you had no other option, or you had a perfect shot that you knew the bullet would stop safely, I wouldnt use either in the house, thats what my Glock 22 is for.
A 12 gauge shotgun would be a good choice, people dive for the dirt when you rack a round into a 12 gauge.

Paladin_Hammer
December 23, 2008, 12:27 AM
12-gauge. No man alive could resist breaking out into a cold sweet if all of a sudden you hear a 12-gauge pump cycle and don't see it. It's a sign from the universe that bad things are about to happen.

monkyboy1975
December 23, 2008, 12:43 AM
But I thought this was a rifle thread:confused:

ccsniper
December 23, 2008, 12:52 AM
im an anti, i use harsh words and a big stick :)

goon
December 23, 2008, 01:57 AM
A Marlin 30-30 works for my needs but it's a bit more of a utilitarian rifle than a home defense rifle.
Shotguns are effective for HD but too limited in their use to justify my keeping one around.

Ignition Override
December 23, 2008, 02:38 AM
When these topics emerge, it always puzzles me to imagine people in cities, suburbs, semi-rural housing developments or in their cars (being well-aware of "uncivil unrest" where they need to be driving), who can identify the likely need for self-defense at a range of more than 50 yards, maximum 100 or so, unless people are running amok on sidewalks or through streets and breaking things.

What criminals display a weapon from much more than 20-40 feet, much less use it? Maybe my impressions from reading the news are totally mistaken.

People in the Katrina, South Central LA race riot aftermath might describe these longer-range situations, i.e. standing on your shop's roof with a rifle in your hand. Other than with a possible riot, certain trouble might be hard to categorize.
Feel quite free to contradict my skeptic view. Real world scenarios are always educational.

armoredman
December 23, 2008, 02:41 AM
Rifle, this one, vZ-58. Fantastic lightweight easy shooting accurate rifle, short and fast handling. Not exactly my first choice for home defense, usually a pistol.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vZ-58table1.jpg

Macmac
December 23, 2008, 10:12 AM
TexasRifleman, Can you buy frangible rounds in Texas? I can't in NH, as they are illegal to common joe civilian. I can buy Mil surplus in fmj and hunting loads only, and so far as I know all of these are way to hot for indoors use.

woof
December 23, 2008, 10:39 AM
You'll have a bad day in court when you try to justify having shot someone at 100 yards as self-defense.

matai
December 23, 2008, 11:09 AM
Anybody shot a Saiga .308?? I'm considering a 7.62 because the local shop has em for $379.99. But a .308 would be cool, just not sure if it'd work that well.

Dope
December 23, 2008, 11:21 AM
TexasRifleman, Can you buy frangible rounds in Texas? I can't in NH, as they are illegal to common joe civilian. I can buy Mil surplus in fmj and hunting loads only, and so far as I know all of these are way to hot for indoors use.

Really? The only state I know of that is close is NJ with their quasi-hollowpoint ban. Do you have any reference for that ban in NH? It's definitely not the case here in MA.

Dope

.38 Special
December 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
All you critics just don't understand. It's "SHTF, dude!!!". That means anything goes, and the cooler your gun, the more chicks you'll bag after you've personally stopped the S from HTF. Grandad's old lever action thutty-thutty might technically work just fine, but it doesn't exactly go with the ninja outfit and night vision goggles. I mean, don't you guys read Soldier of Fortune?

Personally, I think what this place really needs is SHTF/tacticool/ninja/gamer/no one over 25 allowed forum where the grownups won't be whining about "reality" and "lawsuits" and other boring old fogey type stuff.

HTH!

benEzra
December 23, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have both the AR and the Mini-14, unless you had no other option, or you had a perfect shot that you knew the bullet would stop safely, I wouldnt use either in the house, thats what my Glock 22 is for.
55-grain .223 JHP's tend to penetrate somewhat less in building materials than most .40 S&W JHP's, and when they exit, they retain less wounding potential than typical handgun JHP's.

There is no rule requiring you to use FMJ in a defensive carbine, any more than for a defensive pistol.

You'll have a bad day in court when you try to justify having shot someone at 100 yards as self-defense.
Choice of a HD carbine is not generally about shooting attackers at 100 yards, any more than a HD 12-gauge is about shooting attackers flying overhead in V-shaped flocks.

Small-caliber centerfire carbines shooting moderate-weight JHP's (not FMJ) have some advantages over handguns at inside-the-house distances, not just at 100 yards. Whether those advantages offset the lack of portability compared to handguns, or the slightly lower per-round lethality compared to shotguns, depends on your own preferences and proficiencies.

Art Eatman
December 23, 2008, 12:08 PM
The consensus from about thirty or forty of these threads is that if one is to use a rifle, quick handling is important. Most people prefer medium-ower cartridges over pistol-cartridge-chambered carbines.

Few expect home defense to be needed at distances beyond maybe twenty to forty yards.

Subject to the user's skill, most believe that hits to 100 and 200 yards are reliably possible from almost any platform.

And so, another SHTF thread ends.

If you enjoyed reading about "SHTF/Home Defense Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!