Anyone else have problems with......

PDA

iluvG.R.I.T.S
September 23, 2003, 11:55 PM
a ffl transfer? Talked to three different gunshops and the whole bunch of them came off as a-holes.One shop wanted 35.00 to do the transfer and chewed me out because I didn't bring in a stamp and envolope. Then if that isn't bad enough I cant get the guy im buying the gun from to answer my emails or phone calls.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else have problems with......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
September 23, 2003, 11:59 PM
It takes a little searching to find the good ones. I have a guy that will do my transfers for $20 including background check etc. That's fair.

Dealers hate the internet because not only can you usually find a cheaper price you don't have to pay sales tax. On expensive items this adds up. Most dealers seem to be asking for outrageous transfer fees in order to make their prices suddenly look compareable.

Go to Auction Arms and do a search for transfer FFLs and start calling to see who is the cheapest.

Chris

Daedalus
September 24, 2003, 12:16 AM
My local transfer dealer does transfers for 25$ including call up. I also have to sit down and listen to him pitch his latest acquisitions to me for 30 minutes and nod politely, but when you have a reliable transfer FFL you'll jump through a lot of hoops to keep the collection growing :o

P95Carry
September 24, 2003, 12:22 AM
My local regular guy is great ..... usually $20 all in.

But then .... He probably is always cognisant of the fact that for every gun I get him to FFL ..... I buy another direct from him!! Fair is fair I reckon .... and he is very honorable ..... I am fortunate.

Matter of fact .. this is how good he is ...... last June, wife and I did a long trip ..... the ''excuse'' that kicked the vacation off was a gun show at Market hall, Dallas ..... hardly the local neighborhood!:D I didn't know what I would find and want to buy so ..... asked my FFL for a copy or two of his licence.

He obligingly did four signed copies.

I came back having only bought a long arm and ammo and bitz so still had them. I offered them back but he said keep em. (He knows me!!).

I have now used three outa the four (check with him each time to ask and mention something coming thru) ....... now if that ain't good customer/dealer relations, I don't know what is!!!:) :)

cordex
September 24, 2003, 12:23 AM
I've got a great dealer (Tom Horner) who handles transfers for $10. There's a range (Coyote Creek) that does the deed for $10, and they're not too much further away, but I like doing business with Mr. Horner.

Another dealer nearby charges 10% of the gun's value. No thanks.

jsalcedo
September 24, 2003, 12:36 AM
I asked a gunshop to order me an enfield before I got my C&R

The gun was in shotgun news for $89

The shop charged me $15 to order it + shipping then state sales tax

The $89 turned into $121.06

I'm not sure if the sales tax was justified but I figured it went into his inventory and he logged it so I didn't complain.

P95Carry
September 24, 2003, 12:38 AM
Another dealer nearby charges 10% of the gun's value.

INCREDIBLE!!!! So .... someone wants to get thru something costing $500 .... and is asked to pay $50 ........ holy cow!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rip-off city.

jsalcedo
September 24, 2003, 12:46 AM
Another dealer nearby charges 10% of the gun's value

That would be a bargain for me because I routinely buy guns that cost less than a hundred dollars and are worth considerably less :neener:

cordex
September 24, 2003, 12:49 AM
*shrug*

That's the way he does business. So I go elsewhere.

When I bought an ancient bolt-action .22 for about $50 online, I still took it to Mr. Horner out of principle.

That said, I still buy stuff from the unnamed shop. They are really nice people and have a good selection of guns and reloading supplies, but I won't do a transfer through them even if it means saving money.

JohnKSa
September 24, 2003, 12:58 AM
$35 isn't unreasonable. I wouldn't complain. Agree that they can be found for less.

Sales Tax:

Warranted when the seller is in or has an office/outlet in your state. Sometimes this can be a surprise. I ordered a part directly from Glock once and had to pay sales tax. Evidently they have an office/offices in the state that qualify under the TX sales tax laws.

Warranted when the shop orders the gun using their nickel. In that case, they're the owners and are technically reselling the gun to you which means they must collect sales tax on the transaction.

Not warranted when there is no in state representative of the seller and you purchase/order the gun yourself using your credit card/check/money order/whatever and the FFL is merely the shipping recipient and handles the paperwork. The gun is already yours when it hits the door, the FFL isn't reselling it so there is no sales transaction and no sales tax.

LiquidTension
September 24, 2003, 01:46 AM
The guy I go through is a gunsmith and doesn't have a retail store or anything. He charges $25 per yellow form which is totally acceptable to me. He gives me signed copies of his FFL which I send to the seller with my money. No sales tax, just shipping and the $25 transfer. He doesn't mind, because he makes $25 for just logging in the gun and calling NICS (which he doesn't do for me anyway because of CWP). $25 for no more than 10 minutes work isn't bad. Besides, I've referred several people to him for work and I've paid him to build two guns for me, not to mention work I have waiting for him to do when I have money. He's a good guy, and I'd pay him more for transfers if he raised prices. Thankfully, he has not :D

Mike Irwin
September 24, 2003, 02:24 AM
I'm kind of funny this way, since I've faced it in the past...

We'd have guys come into our gunshop asking us to special order them something NEW from shotgun news for $25 less than the SAME item we had on the rack, and then bitch and moan and complain about the cost of doing the transfer and paperwork.

The owner became so ticked off with the attitude of some posters that he adopted a new policy -- if it is still in production, we get it from our wholesaler and you buy it from us. No exceptions.

That was about the only policy that I agreed with with that particular owner.

I have a shop in Northern Virginia, Virginia Arms, that does a GREAT job.

I've had 3 or 4 older out of production guns shipped into them. Flat $20, plus the charge for the call to the state police seeing if in the past 45 days I've suddenly popped up on the FBI's most wanted list.

Ukraine Train
September 24, 2003, 10:51 AM
One of the guys I work with has an FFL and transferred my Mossberg 500 for me. He usually charges $15 but instead he just told me to get an NRA membership because I'm still relatively new to guns so that was cool.

mtnbkr
September 24, 2003, 11:09 AM
Ditto on Virginia Arms. Can't ask for a better shop service-wise...

Chris

OEF_VET
September 24, 2003, 12:24 PM
I had a guy back in Maine that recieved my M44 for me while I was in Kosovo, didn't charge me a dime! No transfer fee, no background check fee (no background check period actually), no sales tax. Being a deployed soldier had its' benefits from time to time. He was a friend of my dad's, and he figured it was the least he could do, I thought it was absolutely generous of him, considering he didn't know me or owe me anything.

Frank

RustyHammer
September 24, 2003, 01:13 PM
I have a guy over here in New Orleans who does them for FREE, if you are a NRA member!

The range I shoot at (in Jefferson Parish) charges $10.

There are a few around here which charge $35 too.

All I can say is shop around!

Rusty

Hemicuda
September 24, 2003, 01:16 PM
$10.00 a transfer, and I have a copy of his FFL on file so that I can mail it out as needed!

he only asks that I TRY to remember to tell him when one is coming in, or at least have the sender include a note as to whom the gun is for, in the box, so's he knows I got one in...

spacemanspiff
September 24, 2003, 01:23 PM
try local pawn shops. i found one a block from my work that does transfers for $10, one gun or ten, just $10. you can skip the whole 'i'm a gunshop and you are hurting my business by ordering online' attitude when working through a pawn shop.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else have problems with......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!