Tokarev advs and disadvantages?

PDA

Ignition Override
December 23, 2008, 03:45 AM
This is only academic for the present time.
Eventually I might look at handguns for variety, although probably not for a 'permit'. Know zero about these except for limited reading and chatting at work.

Even if 7.62x25 ammo prices increase in a few years, what are the strong points and not so strong for these Russian or Romanian handguns?
I've read a bit about the power of the ammo, and it appears to have very good value for the price.

Do the guns have a safety and other desired features as with many modern CZs, Berettas etc?
My only guns are carbines and an ancient Savage .22 (from the 40s).
Foreign military-styled guns seem to attract me the most, other than Ruger Minis.

Is the Makarov considered a very good type?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev advs and disadvantages?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
December 23, 2008, 03:59 AM
Advantages: Can penetrate Kevlar helmets with surplus ammo (no other pistol tested by Box o' Truth was able to do this). Reliable like any Russian design.

Disadvantages: Slightly odd grip angle, less commonly available ammo.

max popenker
December 23, 2008, 05:02 AM
Do the guns have a safety and other desired features as with many modern CZs, Berettas etc?
Only as aftermarket add-on

Originally TT pistols were made as inexpensive military sidearms, w/o any safety (save for unsafe ;) half-cock feature) and with crappy ergonomics. Those could be fun plinkers, but for s/d i would go with something else, starting from Makarov PM if you mean Russian guns.

woad_yurt
December 23, 2008, 08:33 AM
Wolf makes a 7.62 hollowpoint round and it's devastating. 7.62x25 FMJ shoots through buses so I'd go hollowpoint for carry.

I would feel very comfortable carrying a TT33 on half cock. If one carries a SA semi-auto, one has to swipe or flick something before one shoots. Instead of swiping a safety, just cock the TT33's hammer.

I disagree a little with Max P; they're accurate, powerful, reliable, simple and very user friendly. Pretty flat, too. I'd take it over a .45.

I would CCW a Mak before I carry a Tok, though.

Vonderek
December 23, 2008, 10:50 AM
Advantages:
relatively inexpensive
reliable
cheap surplus ammo right now
small and flat
cheap magazines
very easy and fun to shoot
good accuracy

Disadvantages:
None really except spare parts availability and not much aftermarket doodads if that's what floats your boat.

grimjaw
December 23, 2008, 11:08 AM
I've found spare parts for them, I think through Sarco, but it would be best to buy them now because they won't be around forever. (Think the Star series of pistols).

If they had a better safety mechanism so that they could be trusted cocked and locked, I think they'd be sufficient as carry weapons, but ONLY with well designed hollowpoints. In my opinion, at best they're house guns.

They make fun plinkers, and as of today you will be hard pressed to find any other centerfire surplus ammo that cheap.

jm

TestPilot
December 23, 2008, 11:11 AM
Not drop safe.

max popenker
December 23, 2008, 11:14 AM
one has to swipe or flick something before one shoots. Instead of swiping a safety, just cock the TT33's hammer

great many Soviet officers found that half-cock notch is prone to fail, especially if the gun falls hammer-down onto the hard surface.
Furthermore, sweeping down the 1911-style safety is more convenient than cocking the TT hammer.
If i'd need a gun in 7.62x25, i'd go with the Star M in the 7.63x25 Mauser rather than a TT

they're accurate, powerful, reliable, simple and very user friendly. Pretty flat, too. I'd take it over a .45
that's boils down to personal preferences. Despite being Russian and patriotic, in this case i'd go with 9mm or .45, unless i know that opponents will be using body armor (and then again, go for 9mm with AP bullets or better still a rifle ;))

grimjaw
December 23, 2008, 12:17 PM
I agree with max. Load up a 90gr bullet in a sufficiently strong action (e.g. CZ75B) and you're matching or exceeding 7.62x25 Tokarev ballistics.

jm

Jim K
December 23, 2008, 02:18 PM
The Toke was designed with four things in mind - ruggedness, reliability, ease of manufacture and ease of maintenance.

It meets those goals admirably.

The lack of a safety was of no concern for the Russian military. And FWIW, John Browning thought the half cock was perfectly adequate as a safety until the army forced him to put the grip and manual safeties on the M1911.

Jim

EdLaver
December 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
I wish someone would make a modern pistol for this caliber :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Tokarev advs and disadvantages?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!