Posts marked as read

PDA

athensguy
December 23, 2008, 11:32 AM
When I look at a forum, all posts over a few hours old appear to be marked as read, even though I have not read them. I have browsed through all of the settings I can see, but have not been able to change this.

Is there a way for me to actually see which threads contain posts I have not read, as opposed to just seeing threads with new (as in recent) posts highlighted with the "go to new posts" arrow?

If you enjoyed reading about "Posts marked as read" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
porcupine73
January 5, 2009, 03:42 PM
vBulletin has some various options in the admin control panel (which users can't access) for how to track unread posts and maximum amount of time to track unread posts).
Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

The amount of time in days to store the thread and forum read times. All threads or forums without posts in this many days will be considered read. I think the default is 90 days but it might set shorter here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Posts marked as read" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!