Should I leave the brass...

PDA

Ben86
December 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
...coating on the inside of the slide? I'm talking about the rectangular chunck of metal that actually shoves the cartridge into the chamber. Sorry, I don't know the correct terminology. I've heard that one should leave it alone because it makes the slide cycle more smoothly. Is this true?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I leave the brass..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
December 23, 2008, 01:22 PM
Won't matter either way. Don't sweat it. (Breechface)

rcmodel
December 23, 2008, 02:08 PM
My policy when cleaning guns is:
If the manufacture didn't put it there, it has to go.

The breach-face should be cleaned throughly with a toothbrush & powder solvent occasionally, just to cut down on the crud that eventually finds it's way into the extractor & firing pin channels.

If brass rub-off gets in the way, it's history!

It could be argued that two dissimilar metals (brass sliding on steel) is slicker then brass on brass, or steel on steel.

That's why some types of brass have historically been used as machinery bearings.

rcmodel

4thPointOfContact
December 23, 2008, 02:22 PM
Are you by any chance referring to the copper colored grease that Glock places on newly manufactured firearms?
If so....then, yes, leave it alone. If I remember correctly it's copper infused moly-grease. Automobile parts stores usually carry some.

Won't hurt to remove it, but I've heard that it's to help provide smoothness for break-in with new Glocks.

If not.... go with the above advice.

mljdeckard
December 23, 2008, 02:40 PM
Generally speaking, the breech face should be clean and dry. If there is stuff on it, you are running the risk of having it shoved back into the firing pin channel. And primers don't like any chemical interaction.

Ben86
December 23, 2008, 11:01 PM
Breech face, thank you.

I thought it didn't sound right to leave something dirty because it "made it smoother." Excuse me guys, I'm off to brush my breech faces!

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I leave the brass..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!