.380 ball or hollow point

PDA

psyprofessor
December 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
I realize that a .380 is a marginal round for SD and does not always have the necessary penetration. Would a .380 FMJ be better for SD than a .380 hollowpoint..... so that it can penetrate deeper?

I also read somewhere where it was said that in a .380 go with the FMJ...because hollowpoints in that caliber will not expand reliably....

What do you guys think? I am looking for the most effective self-defense round in a .380. (And yes... I do realize that there are more powerful calibers out there.)

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

If you enjoyed reading about ".380 ball or hollow point" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ByAnyMeans
December 23, 2008, 07:39 PM
It's really a tough question to answer. Their are a few hollow points many recommend such as Speer Gold-dot, Golden Saber, DPX and Buffalo Bore to name a few. A new Critical Defense round has just been released by Hornady and if independent testing duplicates their results this would be my choice in hp for .380

They however can't reach 12 in. of penetration and you usually get 8-10 in. from the above mentioned. This with the unknown results with bone have many choosing fmj. I have read that American Eagle has the highest velocity but I use Winchester flat nose because it's what i practice with.

Then their are others who use hp during summer and fmj during winter due to clothing increase and yet others who stack the magazine hp/fmj/hp/fmj to cover all bases.

Decide which is most important to you and go from their. You will find positive and negatives to each one, that's why it's a compromise caliber.

wnycollector
December 23, 2008, 08:12 PM
My father-in-law carries an old llama .380. He loads the mag with fiocchi FMJ and then one buffalobore hardcast FN in the pipe.

Jkwas
December 23, 2008, 08:18 PM
JHP in the tube, and FMJ in the mag.
That is all.

btg3
December 23, 2008, 08:21 PM
May want to consider these:

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#380

My personal choice is Winchester 95gr FMJ flat nose.

goon
December 23, 2008, 08:29 PM
I'd go with FMJ.

MedWheeler
December 23, 2008, 09:00 PM
What about JSPs? Are they somewhere in the middle?

orchidhunter
December 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
All the .380s will feed the ball ammo, and that is what counts for SD. orchidhunter

Sig 226 .40
December 23, 2008, 10:12 PM
mmmm.....my 2 cents worth is to ask if you've tried the PowerBall rounds yet? I've tried them out on several mediums(not psychics) such as wet newspaper...24" thick...a couple of dead deer....and watermelons. I'm impressed with the results. Its a round that is going to get used at close range anyway. I now keep all three P3AT mags stoked with these. I have found the expansion is pretty consistent. Mind you, I'm no scien...sciente...oh heck...ain't no genius here!!! But when I recover rounds that are fully expanded about 12-14 inches into a deer...I'll use my imagination to think of what it will do to some turd merchant trying to put me into a pine box! At point blank range nonetheless!

Loyalist Dave
December 23, 2008, 11:47 PM
As was written, get FMJ, and (imho) the heaviest you can find, and use that. A jam may get you killed.

LD

makarovnik
December 24, 2008, 12:12 AM
FMJ for body shots and HP for head shots. FMJ penetrates further in soft tissue but in .380 FMJ can bounce off a skull if not a straight on shot. Sharp edges of the HP help cut into bone and less chance of ricochet.

Alternating loads in the mag if your .380 feeds hollowpoints.

MostlyHarmless
December 24, 2008, 01:03 AM
I use JHPs, currently Hornady Critical Defense. You do want to be sure that whatever round you're using will feed reliably in your pistol. Beyond that, I believe that FMJ can overpenetrate in .380. The JHPs are better with that even if not perfect and as long as they feed properly I see no disadvantage to them.

357sigRog
December 24, 2008, 01:34 AM
I carry Remington Golden Sabre 102gr hollow pt. They are highly recommended for the .380, good penetration and expansion.

joneb
December 24, 2008, 02:57 AM
I'd go with FMJs, but with advancements in ammunition I may choose the other someday. I carry a East German made Makarov with FMJ factory ammo and I find most of it is loaded on the mild side to accommodate weaker pistols chambered in 9x18 Mak. I just started loading 9x18 but the weather has kept me from shooting, I don't want to lose that precious brass in the snow :( I have some Hornady 95gr XTs and Sierra 95gr JHP as well as some 100gr Speer JFPs I anxious to Load Up :D

Runningman
December 24, 2008, 07:53 AM
I am looking for the most effective self-defense round in a .380.I asked Evan Marshall this same question on his board regarding the 380, the answer I got was.......Cor Bon DPX.

mattk
December 24, 2008, 08:32 AM
I use FMJ in my little Colt.
I have considered Powr Ball ammo and may switch to it when i get a chance to buy some a test it out.

Marcus L.
December 24, 2008, 09:37 AM
The ONLY .380acp JHPs that actually have decent penetration in independent testing is the Hornady 90gr XTP. It does this by limiting expansion to around .45". Most .380 JHP designs do not limit expansion and instead approach 9mm levels of around .55-.60 causing the bullet to slow down too much and only penetration to 7-8". Another load that looks promising is Hornady's new 90gr FTX(critical defense load). Depsite what many may think, Hornady is probably one of the best ammunition makers around and they do a good job of specializing each individual caliber.

I would feel confident in using either of those Hornady loads.

moooose102
December 24, 2008, 09:47 AM
B O T H ! ! ! i load alternating fmj+p and winchester silvetip hollowpoints in my .380. you never know what a person will be wearing, or what the situation will be, or how the bullets will work, so why take chances .

woodsoup
December 24, 2008, 10:47 AM
I roll my own. 105gr CLTC over an appropriate amount of Bullseye and a CCI SP primer. The former concotion stuffed into a little Kel-Tec 3-PAT.

Funderb
December 24, 2008, 10:56 AM
if it feeds the HP i'd go with that, unreliable expansion is better than no expansion at all.

lanternlad1
December 24, 2008, 12:28 PM
I put Golden Saber HP in mine. At 102gr, they are the heaviest .380 round avail. Heavy=more stopping power IMO.

rcmodel
December 24, 2008, 12:40 PM
RN-FMJ is a notoriously poor stopper in the 9mm Luger.
It is even worse in the .380.

For that reason alone, I will continue to use JHP in my .380's.

Even poor expansion & 12" penetration is far better then a RN-FMJ ice-pick wound that closes up as soon as the bullet goes through.

I have handgun hunted all my life, and I know for a fact that RN bullets simply don't work worth a damn on living tissue.

rcmodel

Boba Fett
December 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
Alternating loads in the mag if your .380 feeds hollowpoints.

I hadn't considered this before, but now that I think about it, I'd probably go this route as well.

Somewhat depends on where you live. I'm not really worried about layers of clothing here. Even in the winter most of the time.

But if you are concerned about penetration, I'd have to go with the alternating loads idea.

rcmodel
December 24, 2008, 12:59 PM
Too carry that to it's logical conclusion, you could load one round of Corbon JHP, one Winchester FMJ, one Gold-Dot JHP, one Federal FMJ, one XTP JHP, one Remington FMJ, etc., etc., etc.

Theres sure to be something in there somewhere that will work better then the others!

Myself, I want a gun full of JHP that all kick, and sound, and function the same every shot!

If I want FMJ, they will be in the extra magazine.

rcmodel

KevininPa
December 24, 2008, 05:08 PM
I load my own. Just plain old Rainiers at 100 grains with enough Bullseye behind them to send them out at 950 to a little less than a 1000 fps. My .380s are a Sig 232 and a CZ 83. I also changed out the springs in these all steel guns to accommodate the heavier rounds. I'm comfortable carrying these.

jjohnson
December 24, 2008, 05:34 PM
I carry JHP in my Makarov.

I'd use ball if I hadn't already shot thousands of rounds including hundreds of JHP, with zero malfunctions due to ammo, so I'm confident it'll do the job. Many cheaper hollowpoints in pistol calibers don't expand reliably, so I carry MagTech Guardian Gold JHP. They're NOT as high priced as some like COR-BON, but I think they're a step up from some others. I still rely on shot placement. I figure... IF it expands, that's a bonus, but between a marginal caliber (IMHO) and likelihood of having to shoot through a heavy coat (here in Minnesota) I'd aim for center of mass and hope it'd do the job.

Claude Clay
December 24, 2008, 05:39 PM
silvertips

if you have a winter-- jacketed of course

robsc
December 24, 2008, 05:43 PM
You say that the .380 hollow points don`t expand reliably. Then that unexpanded hp is a fmj. What`s the difference between the two? Use both.
arrrrrrrgh!!!!!! which one is first in the barrel hp or fmj :confused:
Scenario--
It`s Saturday night and you are home alone on the computer when the back door starts to be kicked in. There are seven armed men, two of them have ar15s. They have cut your land phone wires and they have a cell phone blocker. All you have is a .380 with tactical hp or fmj. OK, you can have a 9mm.
trivia question: got courage?
ok, pass it off thinking it won`t /can`t happen to you.
Scenario-- You are driving along the road and the red oil light comes on in your car/truck. Do you merely turn up the radio and ignore the red light?
take a long hard look at those seven armed men with two ar15s kicking in your back door.

KBintheSLC
December 24, 2008, 05:49 PM
For sub-calibers like 380 and 32, I like hard cast flat nose bullets. They penetrate nicely and they permanently disrupt more tissue than round nose ball. Flat nose bullets also do a better job at cutting through bone rather than deflecting.

It`s Saturday night and you are home alone on the computer when the back door starts to be kicked in. There are seven armed men, two of them have ar15s. They have cut your land phone wires and they have a cell phone blocker. All you have is a .380 with tactical hp or fmj. OK you can have a 9mm. trivia question: got courage?

Thats funny... 7 armed men and all you get is a pistol. I doubt it matters which one you choose... unless you have a sandbag bunker for cover your likely to be screwed.

gglass
December 25, 2008, 02:06 AM
.380 Performance:

James Bond never seemed to have a problem.

Seriously... The .380 cal round is also known as the 9mm short. It is a 9 x 17mm round as compared to the popular 9 x 19mm luger round. It has an average muzzle velocity of around 950 fps compared to the average 9mm lugar's 1050 fps.

In FBI ballistics testing .380 acp rounds penetrated bare ballistic gelatin to an average of 12.5 inches and clothed gelatin to an average of 14 inches. The average expansion of most tested JHP hollow points was .48 inch.

Lethal? According to FBI accepted minimums for stopping force the .380 ACP is well within department ballistic standards.

With good shot placement, the .380 acp JHP round can be as effective as a .45 acp round.

Tested ammunition:
* .380 ACP 85 grain Winchester Silvertip JHP
* .380 ACP 88 grain CCI/Speer JHP
* .380 ACP 90 grain CCI/Speer Gold Dot JHP
* .380 ACP 90 grain Federal HydraShok JHP

oldhack62
December 25, 2008, 02:29 PM
...i load alternating fmj+p and winchester silvetip hollowpoints in my .380...
And what would that '+p' round be? It's my understanding there is no SAAMI .380ACP "+P" rating. Hot-loaded, surplus Santa Barbaras would be the closest I can imagine.
Otherwise, I concur: I load alternate Winchester Silvertips and FMJ in my .380 AFTER I make sure ALL will feed reliably. I figure if my 8-round mag aimed properly doesn't stop a BG, it probably doesn't matter what I was shooting anyway.

oldhack62
December 25, 2008, 02:35 PM
...It`s Saturday night and you are home alone on the computer when the back door starts to be kicked in. There are seven armed men, two of them have ar15s. They have cut your land phone wires and they have a cell phone blocker. All you have is a .380 with tactical hp or fmj. OK, you can have a 9mm.
No, I probably don't possess that kind of 'courage' so much as survival instincts. I don't WANT to be in that situation, EVER. But, I prepare for it, just the same. And, in the house, I DO have 9mm (and .45, for that matter, backing up a 12-gauge shotgun). I don't rely on .380ACP everywhere, you know.

makarovnik
December 26, 2008, 03:04 AM
James Bond never used a .380 in any movies. He used a PPK in 7.65 (32acp). They are close in power but some say the .32acp penetrates the skull better. I'm not saying it penetrates all tissue better but .380 FMJ has been known to ricochet off skulls.

notorious
December 26, 2008, 03:07 AM
The 380 is a finicky beast. The only thing you need to worry about is reliability in these little guns. Find a round that feeds and functions well in your particular gun, stick to it.

I have a LCP and it jams with 1 major brand FMJ but feeds another one just fine. Haven't tried the JHP stuff in it yet, but it's not going to be my primary gun.

If I need to pull the LCP, it's going to be dump the whole mag at 3 yards or less type of situation.

LightningJoe
December 26, 2008, 04:49 AM
Hard to do anything to improve a mousegun caliber. Lengthening the gun's barrel would help, but then you wouldn't have a mousegun and so no reason for the mousegun caliber.

FMJ is probably the way to go for .380, .32, and .25. If shot placement and a little bit of penetration won't suffice, you need a better caliber.

notorious
December 26, 2008, 04:52 AM
The 380 is more than sufficient to put down a zombie, just make sure you get it in the golden triangle area so it penetrates the thinner parts of the skull instead of the top of the head which is too hard to penetrate consistently with a low power round.

Newton
December 28, 2008, 11:27 AM
Depends on barrel length.

For a four inch barrel, I'd be happy with a JHP. But for a pocket pistol such as the LCP or P-3AT, using JHP is pointless.

I carry flat nose FMJ, preferably Buffalo Bore hard cast, in my LCP.

You also have to bear in mind that American mass produced .380 JHPs are incredibly weak loaded, Double Tap's Gold Dot offering is a different matter.

jjohnson
December 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
Yep, I don't count on 380 hollowpoints expanding. Let's say for sake of argument, 1 out of 3 doesn't expand:scrutiny:. I'd still carry them because (a) my 380 feeds them reliably and (b) that still leaves me 2 out of 3 that WILL expand.

And expansion, in my world, is a good thing.:neener:

notorious
December 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
As long as it's reliable, that's all that matters.

MCgunner
December 28, 2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=786

This stuff looks good for expansion, .380 or otherwise. I wanna pick some up to test in .380 and 9mm eventually. I currently load 90 grain XTPs in the .380 and 115 grain XTPs in the 9 and both are 100 percent. This new stuff has the same ogive shape as XTPs, so should be fine in my guns.

brett30030
December 28, 2008, 08:03 PM
Scenario--
It`s Saturday night and you are home alone on the computer when the back door starts to be kicked in. There are seven armed men, two of them have ar15s. They have cut your land phone wires and they have a cell phone blocker. All you have is a .380 with tactical hp or fmj. OK, you can have a 9mm.
Scenario-- You are driving along the road and the red oil light comes on in your car/truck. Do you merely turn up the radio and ignore the red light?
take a long hard look at those seven armed men with two ar15s kicking in your back door.

I hate it when that happens. Good thing i have learned about a zombie army from all the stupid posts about them. Eat their brains boys!!!

Scenario: You make up a couple of goof ball scenarios and see who calls BS on it. What do you do then?

Bryan_Willman
December 28, 2008, 08:50 PM
An important question is how well can you shoot the ammo in question? Having it be a great stopper doesn't help much if the recoil is so bad you always miss.
Having tried several different cartridges with a keltec p3at, I would argue that for a gun that size you need to consider the shootability of the cartridge carefully, which means you have to go to the range and try it. (Because the guns has zero reserve of shootability.)

There is a variety of evidence, all anecdotal (to my knowlege) that corbon DPX is very well suited to tiny pistols like a p3at.

Remember that any gun fired through the mouth at the back of the neck, through an eye ball, or through an ear, will likely do huge damage.

As for the 7 men with ARs, apparent neo-Manson Family members, that's why you keep a 12ga with 00 buck at home. Especially suited for idiots who charge single file through a door. (Why, pray tell, would they not just shoot you through the window?)

By the way, there IS a real scenario like that I worry about. People who steal cars, and then ram shop doors as a way of forcing entry (it has happened to my neighbors). If I'm not there, it's an insurance problem. If I am there, the sorts of people who drive a car through a locked steel door on purpose are an obvious threat. So I will keep a 12ga shotgun there too. But they are more likely to run when confronted with it than to open fire on me with machine guns.

Newton
December 29, 2008, 12:37 AM
I'm going to change my stance slightly after reading about Hornady's new .380 Critical Defence ammo.

This sounds very promising.

But I note from early testing that it is still loaded very light, sigh......

notorious
December 29, 2008, 02:32 AM
CorBon all the way. A light bullet has to be balanced by high velocity.

40jjb
January 4, 2009, 05:27 AM
The cor bon power ball at 1100 FPS Its like a 9mm

tblt
January 4, 2009, 09:21 AM
102 gr golden saber expands great in water

link to my test below

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=410045

IMTHDUKE
January 4, 2009, 09:54 AM

So what's the point? Suppose only one guy in an Apache gunship rips the roof off your bedroom with a Hellfire rocket and his next pass he strafes you with his 30 mm Chain Gun?:D

Matt-J2
January 4, 2009, 11:11 AM
Scenario--

I guarantee that particular scenario absolutely 100% cannot happen to me at present. I don't have a back door. ;)

wuchak
January 4, 2009, 11:39 AM
It`s Saturday night and you are home alone on the computer when the back door starts to be kicked in. There are seven armed men, two of them have ar15s. They have cut your land phone wires and they have a cell phone blocker.

Meanwhile, back in the real world....

If seven armed men storm your home with the intent of killing you then you are going to die, unless you have a bullet proof safe-room. Uh-oh, they are after the millions in bearer bonds that unknown to me were hidden under the floor of the safe-room. Oh, since this scenario is so ridiculous as to be well into the realm of Hollywood fantasy, I'll be having sex with Katie Morgan when the door is kicked-in.

wuchak
January 4, 2009, 11:56 AM
I like Double-taps 90gr Speer Gold Dot JHP loading. It's standard pressure and the clock it at 1000fps out of the P-3AT. It feeds reliably in mine and the recoil out of it feels lighter than the S&B FMJ loads.

Cannonball888
January 4, 2009, 09:09 PM
Buffalo Bore .380 +P flat nose unless your shooting a Kel-tec P3AT or Ruger clone then I'd use Corbon DPX

notorious
January 4, 2009, 09:48 PM
Too bad we are limited to the Winchester Ranger SXT in all calibers.

jman_131
January 5, 2009, 02:50 AM
I trust magtech guardian gold +P. 85 grain. 1082 fps. 221 ft. lbs its almost up to 9mm. good enough in my opinion. Feeds good in my browning BDA-380. Of course I do get 13+1 x 3-mags....:cool:

Jeremy

HexHead
January 6, 2009, 01:35 PM
If I got another .380, I'd use Hornady's new Critical Defense rounds in it.

notorious
January 7, 2009, 12:29 AM
The Federal EFMJ looked pretty promising!

40jjb
January 7, 2009, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately federal does not have efmj for 380, similar ones in the market with some variant is the FTX hornady new load looks like good choice, defenetly the Cor bon power ball is like a 9mm, I bolive anything 1,000 fps and mor through these little guns, on comparison to sub 9mm velocities of 1059-1180 fps, ballisticly there equal..... this is why theres probably more people with 32 acp and 380 than 9mm and above do to confort in its size for constant carry, al though those same people will bash the caliber becouse they wan't to look good umong friends:cool: lets face it us Americans are hung up on bigger is better, but even our military uses a 223 witch is a 22 yes the velocities changes the game and the aplication to.

notorious
January 7, 2009, 12:34 PM
The 32 and 380 served European military and police for decades without problem.

David E
January 7, 2009, 07:45 PM
The 32 and 380 served European military and police for decades without problem.

Did it? How do you know? How many times did it fail ? How many times did it work ?

I'd be surprised if you knew the answer to any of these.

40jjb
January 7, 2009, 11:37 PM
Well the 32 acp in doble tap or defensive shooting, out of the holster, a mid section 2 taps , a little higher chest 2 taps and finaly one to the head at 5 feet to 0, will it stop any one, do a little work on your oun, you will be surprise, U just have not shot any one with it ha!!. Even with a 45 acp or shot gun, the person or BG can still come at you, it all depends on there conviction. so has it work in the world wars?, yes, always no, has rifles or shrapnells from bobms work? yes not allways, right, so do not show your lake of intelect in this sobject if you are going to coment. All calibers Kill, how fast is determand by shot placement. :cool:

okespe04
January 8, 2009, 12:47 AM
I use Hornady's new Critical Defense. Cycles fine in my LCP

notorious
January 8, 2009, 03:27 AM
Did it? How do you know? How many times did it fail ? How many times did it work ?

I'd be surprised if you knew the answer to any of these.

Why don't you tell me how you know it doesn't work? Seems like you are quite the master of European small arms history.

I will go now and throw away all my books and studies on small arms history and police sidearms.

Mp7
January 8, 2009, 04:07 AM
to me it seems like everyone who formerly had the 9mm vs .45 wars going on is now carrying one of them sissy-.380thingies :) :evil:

i smell some paranoia of being undergunned here.....

And "notorious" has a point there.... well trained officers
placed many a shot with their PPKs during european service ....
... and i havenīt heard of the targets being less dead than
those being shot with colt.45s

If itīs comfy for EDC and the additional capacity gives you a good
feeling for choosing it over a 5shot .38 snubbie.... then all is good, eh?

Friendly, Don't Fire!
January 8, 2009, 05:06 AM
who stated HP's in the tube followed by FMJ in the magazine.

Or, if it were my .380 I would have no problem with FMJ all the time. See if you can find the type that are flat nosed as opposed to the round-nose FMJ's. I got some Winchester FMJ's in 38 at WallyWorld and they said "target loads" or something of that sort on the big box of 100.

If they feed properly and shoot well, it's worth a try!

jon_in_wv
January 10, 2009, 09:24 AM
I've never seem on convincing argument to persuade me to carry FMJ instead of JHPs in the 380. You have to pick your load as some do have shallow penetration but with the better HPs I think the HPs will serve you better. The Critical Defense ammo from Hornady looks promising. Other than that the Federal Hydrashoks and Speer Gold Dots seem like good bets in 380. They give limited expansion and still allow good penetration for the power of the round. In really short barrelled weapons like the LCP or P3AT these might not expand much at all with the lower velocity but I think the JHP profile has better wounding capability and less chance of deflecting off bone or other surfaces.

zombienerd
January 10, 2009, 11:39 AM
Box of truth covered the .380 in one of their tests.

The HP expanded slightly, penetrating 4 jugs of water, while the ball was pristine, probably able to be used again, penetrating 5 jugs... Both "sufficient" for SD.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26_2.htm

okespe04
January 10, 2009, 11:13 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/brohar03/lcp-ruger.jpg

makarovnik
January 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
Both. Smaller calibers moving at slow speeds; better have some FMJ's in there somewhere for penetration.

Sometimes human targets are turned somewhat sideways. It's nice to be able to penetrate a big muscular arm and still get some good penetration into the body.

Many older model or military model .380's won't even feed hollow-points. If you have a newer weapon that will feed them, I would still load both in the mag. But that's just me, do whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

notorious
January 13, 2009, 10:30 AM
Having a loaded gun on me makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Yo Mama
January 13, 2009, 06:35 PM
Why don't you tell me how you know it doesn't work? Seems like you are quite the master of European small arms history.

I will go now and throw away all my books and studies on small arms history and police sidearms.

Small arms are always looked at in other countries as an example in this topic. It baffles me, as in most of these countries a side arm was not even legal to use, and was only for decoration.

A .380 like any other round has a purpose. It's current purpose is for a small package ccw. If you're getting a bigger frame, no reason to mess with it.

I'm a history buff, and any time a military or police force had the option to upgrade, they did.

notorious
January 13, 2009, 07:10 PM
Going bigger and better is human nature, unfortunately. But when it was the service cartridge of choice, it was fine, no?

Remember when the 38 special was the de facto choice for front line service and it defended society for a long time too until the wundernines came around?

dlistello
January 14, 2009, 02:03 AM
2 factors to consider: function of ammo in your specific gun and type of climate you live in. The first is self explanatory, in general 380 auto's handle fmj much better than Jhp. If you live wear multiple layers of clothes are required, fmj seems to be a better choice. Fortunately, new ammo development has addressed both concerns. Pow'RBall(Corbon) and Critical Defense(Hornady) feed like FMJ but perform like JHP.

Dave

M&PVolk
January 14, 2009, 11:37 PM
My wife uses 102 grain Golden Sabers in her Bersa. It's a solid combo.

seeker_two
January 16, 2009, 06:34 PM
Scenario--

Hit the claymores and call in an air-strike..... :cool:

Chances are...if you're in that situation...the guys breaking down your door are probably a police SWAT team serving a warrant....and getting into a gunfight with them is probably a bad idea....even if you somehow triumph, you'll be facing prison time....

How about a better scenario?.....

You're walking with your wife/SO/child in a mall. Suddenly, two men start randomly shooting people. You are carrying your [insert your CCW here]. Do you feel that, in this situation, your CCW is enough gun to defend yourself and your loved one in that situation?

Yes....there IS a trick to the question.....but I won't tell....yet.... ;)

notorious
January 17, 2009, 05:17 AM
Okay, just got the new issue. We are now limited to the Winchester Ranger T-Series for all duty and off-duty so it's the 95 grain JHP for me in my Ruger LCP.

40jjb
January 18, 2009, 08:17 AM
Cor bon power ball, try it

notorious
January 18, 2009, 08:18 AM
What's the specs on the Corbon 380 loading?

Peter M. Eick
January 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
I use golden sabers 102's in the 380. They feed like ball and they are not going to get smaller if they JHP does not open up.

ultradoc
January 18, 2009, 09:27 AM
alternate your loads

deacon8
January 18, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hornady Critical Defense. Who really cares if it stops an inch or two short of 12"? 12" isn't that magical number for death! The wound channel these create is impressive for a .380 because of the expansion, penetration, and weight retention. These really are somewhat of a breakthrough for the .380. And I can't think of too many more useless SD rigs than a .380 with FMJ...unless of course it hits 12";).

If you enjoyed reading about ".380 ball or hollow point" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!