What the deal with Wolf?

PDA

ds92
December 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
A friend of mine today said that wolf was an american company. I had been, up to this point, under the impression that wolf was imported russian ammo. or is that bear?
Hmmm...

If you enjoyed reading about "What the deal with Wolf?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
December 23, 2008, 08:50 PM
wolf is russian made. there ammo thier primers all of it.

Nugilum
December 23, 2008, 08:52 PM
Made at the Tula, Russia Ammo plant.

Same city that made the Mosin Nagant M91 "3-Line" rifles and their variants, the SKS, and the AK rifles.

earlthegoat2
December 23, 2008, 08:55 PM
Bear and wolf are both in Russia. One in Tula, one in Barnaul

ken22250
December 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
wolf and bear are russian, and wolf gold is siberian.
ken

ds92
December 23, 2008, 09:02 PM
ok thanks. I'm mostly concerned because i'm afraid 7.62x54r will dry up if imported ammo is banned for one reason or another. are there any domestic ammo makers that offer 7.62x54r?

gvnwst
December 23, 2008, 09:04 PM
Winchester does, but it costs more than you may want to pay. (at least around here)

Nugilum
December 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
It is manufactured locally, but it's quite pricey. :what:

You might want to stock up a little. Not much, but at least some.

Deus Machina
December 23, 2008, 09:12 PM
I assume Wolf would need some sort of physical presence stateside, even if it's just an office attached to a truck ramp. So I think there'd have to be some kind of 'Wolf USA' around.

But their ammo and their basis of operations is Russian.

elmerfudd
December 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
Not all Wolf ammo is Russian. Their rimfire ammo for example comes from Germany, (and is some damn good stuff too). A lot of the Wolf Gold line isn't Russian either.

My own guess is that Wolf is a US based importing corporation with strong ties to Russia.

dispatch55126
December 23, 2008, 10:04 PM
Wolf Gold is Serbian made by Prvi Partizen. If you like Prvi (which makes very good 5.56), then shooting Wolf Gold will give you the same results.

BTW - Your Toyota minivan was made in Indiana.

Big Bill
December 23, 2008, 10:34 PM
BTW - Your Toyota minivan was made in Indiana.Minivan? We don't drive no steeeenkin minivans! :D

dispatch55126
December 23, 2008, 11:13 PM
I do...:(...and I traded my 2001 TJ w/ 33's, ProRock 60 rear and many other goodies to get it:banghead:

Sinixstar
December 23, 2008, 11:37 PM
BTW - Your Toyota minivan was made in Indiana.

So are Subaru's (or they were at one point), and Hondas were as well. BMWs are from South Carolina or Georgia...
It's funny - there's more "foreign" cars made here in the US then american cars - by far.

dispatch55126
December 23, 2008, 11:43 PM
My point in part is that if you go far enough up the line, many products are made by only a few companies. It's the marketing and chat rooms like this that make product "A" better than product "B" even though they are the same thing in different packaging.

This theory also holds true with AR lowers.

Runningman
December 24, 2008, 08:26 AM
Wolf is a USA importer nothing more. As far as I know they still do not manufacture ammunition. They contract it from various ammunition plants around the world.

As far as I know all Russian ammunition plants are still owned by the Russian government.

Wolf 22 rimfire ammunition is made in at the SK plant in Germany now owned by Lapua.

If you enjoyed reading about "What the deal with Wolf?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!