Henry lever action .22

PDA

Golden Hound
December 23, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Henry lever-action .22 as a gift for my dad. They have it in stock at Bud's Gun Shop for $252 including shipping. That sounds like a good deal. It sure looks nice, at any rate.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/36596.jpg

Is this a good rifle? Anyone have one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Henry lever action .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bensdad
December 23, 2008, 07:57 PM
I have the one with th octagon barrel. I like it very much. My son has the youth model. He loves it. Check the sites on it. The setup on mine is pretty nice. The one on my son's gun is pretty rudimentary.

monkyboy1975
December 23, 2008, 08:48 PM
My wife gave me one last Christmas, and I love it. the only complaint I have with it is the sights, but that is easily fixed.

shrekdaddy
December 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have a 22 magnum and I love it. I use for fall turkey here in pa and have killed several in the last few years. It's still cheap to shoot.

frank c
December 23, 2008, 09:27 PM
One of the best 22,s out there IMHO.I have a 22 lr.golden boy thats a tack driver,plus its made in the USA.:D

22-rimfire
December 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
Folks that own them seem to find that they function well and shoot adequately. Folks that don't own them say things like the sights are cheap or there are plastic parts. I would look one over before you buy one just so you know what you are buying and how they feel.

taliv
December 23, 2008, 10:00 PM
i got mine special order with the large loop from walmart. very fun fun gun and i've never had any problems with it. i've probably put at least ten 550 ct boxes of federal bulk packs through it in the past couple years.

Golden Hound
December 23, 2008, 10:09 PM
Plastic parts? Is this true?

qwert65
December 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
yes mine has lots of plastic parts, but I love it anyway :)

Golden Hound
December 23, 2008, 10:43 PM
Which parts are plastic?

jmr40
December 23, 2008, 10:52 PM
The barrel bands and front sight are plastic. The receiver is a cheap casting that is painted black. Those are not necessarily things that would keep me from buying one. They appear to be an inexpensive plinker that many like. Just need to know what you are getting. For $250 you cannot expect the quality of a Marlin or Winchester .22

chriso
December 23, 2008, 11:02 PM
Got my old lady one and she and I both LOVE it great little plinker...

22-rimfire
December 23, 2008, 11:53 PM
For $250 you cannot expect the quality of a Marlin or Winchester .22

That is about the size of it. If you want to step up the quality a bit, get a Marlin 39A. My first 22 was a Mossberg semi-auto. It had a plastic trigger guard and the plug at the chamber end of the barrel was plastic, which to some might have been a problem. That was a great little rifle.

fireman 9731
December 24, 2008, 12:22 AM
My henry is great.... not a single problem, plus its about the funnest gun to shoot that I have!

Gunner4h1r3
December 24, 2008, 12:50 AM
I've had mine for about 2 years and haven't had any problems. Real slick setup and a fun gun to shoot all day. Only real "issue" I had was when I was running .22 Shorts through it. Be sure to swing the lever all the way forward and all the way back. It was operator error on my part but just some wisdom.

Great gun and although the sights aren't all that adjsutable, you can correct that with some glass and such.

Rubber_Duck
December 24, 2008, 01:16 AM
I asked the same exact question not too long ago....

Now I own one, and LOVE IT!! :)

QuietEarp
December 24, 2008, 04:08 AM
I have an early production model Golden boy. It is sweet. Accurate as can be. Smooth action. Previous owner put a Lyman tang sight on it and it is awesome. The front sight on mine looks different than in the picture posted but otherwise it should be quite similar. It would be a fun gun.

Kind of Blued
December 24, 2008, 04:17 AM
They're LOTS of fun. Some corners may have been cut, but it's a .22, you won't have any catastrophic failures.

If you want something with a bit more heft and craftsmanship, a Marlin 39A would suit you. You'll pay for the extra quality, but it might be worth it to you.

22lr
December 24, 2008, 10:08 AM
Got one, sold it due to bills. A fun gun worth every penny.

WoofersInc
December 24, 2008, 10:38 AM
I have 2 of them. Never a problem with either.

Safety First
December 24, 2008, 04:56 PM
I have the Golden Boy in 22 Magnum and love it. It is very accurate and the fact that it is made in the good ole USA is a big plus....I am thinking about buying another 22 magnum in the standard Henry.

Geno
December 24, 2008, 05:05 PM
Verify chambering before you sign the dotted line. Some of the .22s say ".22 S, L, LR". Others simply say .22LR. The dealer tried to tell me they are all the same. Still, not in my mind. The barrel’s stamp is the end-all in modern firearms at least.

My own Golden Boy is reliable and accurate. It functions extremely smooth too. A Marlin 39A it isn't, but it was also about 60% the cost.

Doc2005

FMJMIKE
December 24, 2008, 09:29 PM
Mine is fun...............:D
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/Henry1.jpg

MilsurpShooter
December 26, 2008, 07:04 AM
True the reciever is painted. It will scratch and the paint will chip. But that's not always a bad thing :D

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3037/dsc00852jm8.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3016/dsc00853dd0.jpg

mr.trooper
December 26, 2008, 10:20 AM
If you don't like the plastic on the basic models, then give the golden boys a look. the dang things are TANKS, and ill bet they weight 7 pounds.

moooose102
December 26, 2008, 11:11 AM
i have one also, it is a great little rifle. i borrowed a trigger pull gauge from a freind, mine has a 2lb 11 oz pull from the factory. i have no problem with that. it shoots every single time i pull the trigger, the action is S M O O T H ! i have to have a scope to hit anything, so i honestly can not comment on the sights, except that the front one is plastic. it is very accurate as well. i think it is one of the best buys in the gun industry. tons of fun (way more fun than an automatic), cheep to buy, cheap to shoot. what else could you ask for??? on second thought, there IS one thing to ask for that Henry overlooked. sling swivel studs. for me, everything has to have them, and this does not from the factory. so if you want them, buy them when you buy the rifle.

Geno
December 26, 2008, 12:54 PM
MilsurpShooter:

Aren't those BSA scopes for .22s awesome?! That's what I use on my Marlin 39A at the moment. It's awesome for the indoor range, because the A/O can focus down to 7.5 yards, when firing the Aguila Colibri powderless 22s. Alas I drift from the thread. Nice rifle too. :)

Doc2005

Im283
December 26, 2008, 12:55 PM
I got one back in April for my birthday, bought it used at a gunshow. Gotta love the gunshow loophole, LOL.

it is very accurate and dependable. I would buy it all over again.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=89841&d=1230314091

Nanook
December 26, 2008, 05:35 PM
I bought one of the large loop .22 LR rifles back in May. Great gun, and really fun to shoot.

The lever is very smooth, and the rifle is nice and light. My wife likes it too, and she is as they say "vertically challenged". Most rifles don't fit her too well.

The 10/22 looks like a 91-30 when she puts it to her shoulder. :D

Loggerlee
December 27, 2008, 06:43 PM
Im283,it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I see the hammer back on a leaning rifle :)
Other than that,it's a beauty.
I bought the same thing for my wife,we both think it's a real nice rifle.
Shoots as good as my father in laws winchester .22mag.
Action is ridiculously smooth.
Plastic parts can be replaced.

Jaybird78
December 27, 2008, 08:18 PM
You will not go wrong with a Henry .22 rifle. I ended up with the HOO1T (octagon barrel and no plastic sights) and could not be happier. My other .22's sit in the safe now, unloved. ;)

jhansman
December 28, 2008, 01:39 AM
Spend the extra $$ for the octagon-barreled H001T. Since I got mine, it's about all I shoot now. Fun and very well made rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Henry lever action .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!