Ruger P89 - Need info (Complete Disassembly)

PDA

doctorj77
December 23, 2008, 09:34 PM
I've just purchase a P89 and looking for some info on taking the frame apart. I want to Gunkote it. I've owned a P90 & a P95 in the past, but never felt the need to take them apart completely.

I'm used to 1911's which are pretty simple in construction. Here I see wire springs that look like they could go flying out :uhoh: if not done properly.

Anyone have any online tutorial info, or manuals I can download to figure this tank out?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P89 - Need info (Complete Disassembly)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike J
December 23, 2008, 10:04 PM
I don't know how to disassemble a p-series Ruger but I have learned a lot about them at www.rugerforum.com I think a couple of the members there have done refinish jobs similar to what you are talking about. If you don't get the information you are looking for here you might try there.

P90shooter
December 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
+1 Mike J... Talk to Coffeepot over there he worked for Ruger for quite a while

bdg146
December 23, 2008, 10:09 PM
Edit: Misread original post...

Uhh, just to save my pride a little, I'll add that rugerforum is a great resource :)

P90shooter
December 23, 2008, 10:14 PM
bdg he was talking about total disassembly. He wants to strip so he can get it refinished... Every movable part must goooooo :) My salesman voice

WardenWolf
December 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
Check the manual on Ruger's website.

doctorj77
December 23, 2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I checked out that sight and found a link to a DVD on Opticsplanet.net.

I'd hate to spend money to learn how, but $23 is far cheaper than paying my gunsmith $100 to refinish it.

Does anyone have any experiences with different finishes? I've tried Brownells Baking Laquer, which chips off pretty easy, I've heard the same about Duracoat. I'm leaning on Gunkote for this one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P89 - Need info (Complete Disassembly)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!