lever action question...

PDA

jbech123
December 23, 2008, 11:27 PM
I see alot of winchesters are AE or "angle eject" ....is this something I want? I am going to buy a lever gun, not sure if I should look for this feature or avoid it. I don't plan to scope it, I assume that could be an AE advantage?

If you enjoyed reading about "lever action question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Loyalist Dave
December 23, 2008, 11:33 PM
The Winchester 94 was made to eject straight up, and since this was before the wide use of scopes, this was fine. When scopes became popular, a 94 needed a side mount to hold the scope a bit off to the left so the rounds could be ejected up and out the top of the rifle without being blocked by the scope tube. This worked, but not as well as say a Marlin with side ejection. More recent versions of the Winchester 94 were designed to eject upward and at an angle to eject the shell out and away from a scope mounted over the reciever. If you don't plan to scope the rifle, it doesn't matter.

LD

hoghunting
December 24, 2008, 12:51 AM
I don't plan to scope it

Two or three years from now, your plans might change. The AE has been around for years, and works well with a scope or receiver sight.

ArmedBear
December 24, 2008, 08:12 AM
Yes and no.

An early model AE is a great gun. The QC on the later 94s before they quit making them was generally lousy, and I wouldn't buy one.

OTOH if I really wanted to scope a .30-30, I'd get a Marlin 336, with a side-ejecting solid receiver that's drilled and tapped, or maybe one of the new Mossbergs that is sort of a hybrid between the Marlin and the Angle Eject, but also is designed to take a scope.

blacksmithsc
December 24, 2008, 08:50 AM
what was the first date for the AE? my son has a early to mid 2000's 94 in .357 and was thinking of putting a scope on it. when I was looking at the weaver mounts, it had them for post 64's, and AE's.

MMCSRET
December 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
AE came out in certain calibers in the late 70's.

Vermont
December 24, 2008, 11:00 AM
I have a Winchester 94 that ejects straight up. The brass often lands on my head. It's a bit of an annoyance sometimes.

Seafarer12
December 24, 2008, 12:25 PM
I would just worry about it if I was going to scope it. Personally I would rather eat dirt.

bpl
December 24, 2008, 01:09 PM
A classic Winchester 94 is a beautiful thing. Open sights is the way to go. You do not need an AE model unless you plan too put a scope on it (but you're not going to do that, right?). If you want to scope a 30-30, get a Marlin.

If you enjoyed reading about "lever action question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!