New FN 308--FNAR

PDA

rallyhound
December 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
So what do we know about this rifle so far.

Does this fit into the 308 battle rifle spectrum or is it more a hunting target type gun..

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF049&gid=FNG022

If you enjoyed reading about "New FN 308--FNAR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lipadj46
December 24, 2008, 01:28 PM
Well it is a short-stroke gas operated semi automatic rifle based on the BAR chambered in 7.62 Nato in a pistol grip stock with a built in picatinny rail. I am not sure of what your definition of a battle, hunting or target rifle is but the FNAR could probably be all three depending on the specific build.

Here is a review from their website:

http://www.fnhusa1.com/PDF/reviews/0810FNARshotgunnews.pdf

hoosier8
December 24, 2008, 01:37 PM
A rifle is a rifle and can be used for both.

Coronach
December 24, 2008, 01:48 PM
Looks more like a precision/target/hunting type seni-auto than a general purpose battle-rifle/tactical-gun. Yes, the definitions overlap, but there are differences between the two camps.

Roadwild17
December 24, 2008, 01:52 PM
Possibally a DMR role on a battle field?

TexasRifleman
December 24, 2008, 01:53 PM
Seems pretty clear they are marketing it for "tactical" use, but so far it does seem to be mostly that, marketing.

Sounds like since they owned the BAR design someone thought "Hey, might as well make something out of that".

If it used M14, FAL or G3 magazines I might be tempted, but I have no interest in taking on yet another magazine design.

Deckard
December 24, 2008, 01:55 PM
The lack of iron sights would discount it as a battle rifle in my book. In a combat situation you wouldn't want to be wholly dependent on your glass.

Coronach
December 24, 2008, 01:57 PM
yeah, but the "tactical" usage seems to be toward the precision side of things, not general-use tactical like a M4gery.

Mike

lipadj46
December 24, 2008, 01:59 PM
Read the article they are trying to compete directly with the M14/M21 DMR type rifles (intermediate-range semi auto sniper systems). I doubt anyone is going to try to come out with a 7.62 Nato based general use battle rifle these days.

M1A National Match
December 24, 2008, 02:17 PM
If it used M14, FAL or G3 magazines I might be tempted, but I have no interest in taking on yet another magazine design.

I'd say this sums it all up rather nicely. Why in blue blazes the folks at FN decided to throw a new proprietary magazine into the mix is anyones guess, but, IMHO, it was a mistake. A big mistake.

I examined one at the gun shop a short time ago, and found the rifle exceedingly heavy, and unbalanced, to boot. I would not care to heft one about in the woods, hunting. In short, I was not impressed. T'was a pity, as I'm generally a huge fan of FN products.

NetJunkie
December 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
I'd say this sums it all up rather nicely. Why in blue blazes the folks at FN decided to throw a new proprietary magazine into the mix is anyones guess, but, IMHO, it was a mistake. A big mistake.

I examined one at the gun shop a short time ago, and found the rifle exceedingly heavy, and unbalanced, to boot. I would not care to heft one about in the woods, hunting. In short, I was not impressed. T'was a pity, as I'm generally a huge fan of FN products.

You summed up my thoughts. First, why the new mag? Idiotic. Second, it is heavy and unbalanced. Felt like quality, but not something I'd pay that much for.

If you enjoyed reading about "New FN 308--FNAR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!