Exploding Glocks?

PDA

Carl
December 24, 2008, 02:32 PM
Anyone ever had experience with this? I never heard about glocks doing it until I found these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3g4UaN0H8

These are all different glocks too.

http://www.pishtov.com/Glock/busted_glock-barrel.jpg

http://www.pishtov.com/Glock/glock_kaboom_photo.jpg

http://www.pishtov.com/Glock/busted_Glock30.jpg

http://www.pishtov.com/Glock/PicG-g22boom.jpg

http://www.pishtov.com/Glock/busted_glock6.jpg

http://www.pishtov.com/Glock/PicG-g19shoot.jpg

http://www.pishtov.com/Glock/busted_glock7.jpg

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/blowup_images/glock4.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Exploding Glocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skeptiq
December 24, 2008, 02:36 PM
Holy jeebus!!! I hope Glock at least sends them a new pair of undies :what:

azhunter122
December 24, 2008, 02:39 PM
lol, they probably just put the wrong ammo in them.

bpl
December 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
You've never heard of the Glock Ka-booms???

Carl
December 24, 2008, 02:45 PM
Well I don't pay too much attention to auto-loaders. My soon to be carry piece will be a Ruger GP-100.

Darthbauer
December 24, 2008, 02:48 PM
Can you say reloads?

KBintheSLC
December 24, 2008, 02:55 PM
I suppose anything is possible... it doesn't mean it is very likely. None of my 3 Glocks have ever had as much as a single problem. Thats not to say that problems cannot occur... any mechanical device is capable of failure. Remember the "unsinkable" Titanic?

Anyway, I would bet my bottom dollar that those problems above could be traced to the ammo first and foremost. And, bad ammo can destroy any make or model of guns.

mpmarty
December 24, 2008, 03:02 PM
No, not just reloads. Do some searching and you will be amazed. loose chambers, unsupported chambers, sloppy tolerances, a bit of bad luck and count your fingers. Got rid of all mine, a 23, two 21s and the worst one a 30.

Deadmanwalking_05
December 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
Why I sold my Combat tupperware.

Darthbauer
December 24, 2008, 03:11 PM
I'm not even a Glock fan boy but I will say that with the number of guns that Glock puts out and the number of kaboom's, the chances of it happening to you if you take care of your gun are slim.

Not only Glock's go kaboom.

KBintheSLC
December 24, 2008, 03:11 PM
Got rid of all mine, a 23, two 21s and the worst one a 30.

I wish I knew... I would have taken them off your hands.

jmr40
December 24, 2008, 03:17 PM
Do a little research and you can find examples of virtually any gun, handgun, shotgun, or rifle in the same shape. I've seen pictures of GP-100's, 1911's, Beretta's, Sigs, you name it, they have all failed at some time for a variety of reasons. You will probably see more Glocks simply because they have sold more and have been shot more than any other brand during the last 25 years.

HoosierQ
December 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
That G19, third from the bottom appears to have taken a bullet from another gun. You can see the base of the bullet...probably a FMJ embedded right there. That would not, technically, be a Ka-Boom...although the undies would need replacing and maybe a finger or two.

ljnowell
December 24, 2008, 03:55 PM
No, not just reloads. Do some searching and you will be amazed. loose chambers, unsupported chambers, sloppy tolerances, a bit of bad luck and count your fingers. Got rid of all mine, a 23, two 21s and the worst one a 30.

Thats some BS. You apparently didnt do enough research or else you would still own your glocks.

CountGlockula
December 24, 2008, 04:01 PM
Nothing new and not just Glocks, I've seen a Ruger Vaquero, M1 Garand and Sigs explode. Bad ammo is always the result.

Marcus L.
December 24, 2008, 04:08 PM
Looks like the pics from the Gun Zone due to gun show reloads. He also advertises H&K kabooms due to gun show reloads, but has blatantly ignored the many experienced by 1911s even though there are just as many on the competition circuit. Every one has a bias.

BTW, I don't really like Glocks......so I'm not a fan boy.

.38 Special
December 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
Guns go boom sometimes. Usually it's operator error. Occasionally it's a faulty gun. And the more guns of that particular make in circulation, the more instances of "boom" you will see. I am sure that if every Glock in a cop holster was instantly replaced with a Colt 1911, within a year we would be deluged with stories about those horribly old-fashioned and unreliable guns that blow up if you look at the sideways. So in that vein, pointless thread.

OTOH, there are those of us who find real amusement in anything that gets the fanboys to launch furious and badly punctuated tirades from their cell phones. So I'll just lean back in the old La-Z-Boy, give Carl an "Attaboy!" and enjoy the show. :D

psyopspec
December 24, 2008, 04:25 PM
It doesn't happen often, and when it does it's usually .40 caliber, usually reloaded ammunition, usually not jacketed, and usually there's a lot of fouling in the bore.

So, shoot quality factory ammo and clean your gun. I don't remember even hearing of any cases where someone did this and still wound up with a KB.

sd
December 24, 2008, 04:30 PM
can anyone tell me if the Glock 23 40sw or the Glock 29 10mm has fully supported chambers? maybe not always, but i thought i heard newer ones did

ljnowell
December 24, 2008, 04:38 PM

There really is no such thing as a fully supported chamber in a glock. They are in fact pretty sloppy too, thats part of what makes a glock so damn reliable. I think that if you really examine all of the kbooms you see or hear about, when it gets right down to it they are almost always ammo related. People will shoot naked lead out of a stock glock barrel and lead the hell out of it, pushing pressures through the roof, and then KABOOM! It could happen with any gun that gets severely leaded. Overcharged round make a lot of kabooms too. Are there some that just do it? Yeah, of course. Nothing is impervious to flaw. I have seen virtually every kind of gun have a barrel failure or some sort of fault at some time or another. You will hear more about it with glocks for 2 reasons though. #1 there are probably more glocks running around getting the crap shot out of them than most any other brand. #2 The people that dont like glocks, really dont like them, and will trumpet any failure from the highest mountain. Ironically these are usually the "1911 is a gods tool" guys. I dont understand the problem, they both rock and I wouldnt be happy without either one in my collection.

highorder
December 24, 2008, 04:41 PM
All I want for Christmas is for everyone to stop feeding the trolls. :)

Ken Rainey
December 24, 2008, 04:45 PM
Most of them were bad reloads, some were factory ammo that wasn't up to spec ... saw a factory .40 Hydrashok blow it's case head off in a Taurus pistol during a string of fire (not a setback rechambered round). The .40 is a high pressure cartridge anyway, add a little bullet set back and the pressure has to go somewhere...just another reason i never liked that cartridge. Over charged and/or over used brass was most of them. I've seen more metal guns that kaboomed than Glocks. That said, the best, over built pistols from Glock is their 9mms. Remember, the .40 cartridge was adapted to the 9mm size pistols...a bigger bullet in the same size pistol means a weaker pistol. Browning or FN had to change frame materials so the pistol would hold up. Now, if the .40 could have been a lower pressure cartridge, then all would have been well. Ahh, the good 'ol .45 acp...;)

WardenWolf
December 24, 2008, 04:53 PM
I seem to remember that Glocks have a component that wears out after so many rounds, and that not recognizing its failure and trying to shoot it again will result in blowing the gun up.

chuckusaret
December 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hey, it is mechanical thing made by man designed and built to meet certain standards, surpass these standards and you will get a ka booom

Blue Brick
December 24, 2008, 05:35 PM
+1 on GP100

Blue Brick
December 24, 2008, 05:41 PM
Read "Ruger and his guns" then buy a Ruger.

The P-85 barrel’s was plugged with a Steel rod and fired with military high-pressure M882 ammunition and the only damage was bent extractor that separated from the slide as the case was removed from the chamber. One P-85 had its entire right side of the ejection port removed and 2,000 rounds of M882 ammunition were fired with no signs of stress.

glockman19
December 24, 2008, 05:42 PM
Clearly a double load. either a reload mistake or a Manufacturer error. manufacturer error will likely get you a new Glock.

Ringer
December 24, 2008, 06:02 PM
Ahhh time for a Glock bashing thread. I didn't realize we were due already. Come to think of it I haven't seen one in the last few weeks.

Carl
December 24, 2008, 06:05 PM
This isn't really a glock bashing thread. It's mostly for concerning reasons since I'm not sure if this is a more than a freak occurence that happens once in a blue moon.

COK
December 24, 2008, 06:18 PM
What others have said , use good commercial ammunition , keep the barrel clean and I would not worry about it.

Izaak Walton
December 24, 2008, 06:30 PM
Two things that might have been said just before the kabooms…

That last round sounded strange… (check the barrel)
And/or
Wonder what wood happen if I stick the barrel in mud? (check you fingers)

Yes, wood

rcmodel
December 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
Heck, anybody can tell those pictures are all Photo-Shopped 1911's & SIGS!

rcmodel

Javelin
December 24, 2008, 06:35 PM
Oh come on someone shot that G19 with another gun HAHA. And another one has a stainless barrel which is an aftermarket add-on!

Seriously no reloads through Glocks, no non jacketed ammo through Glocks, and no shooting your glock with another firearm.... LOL

:)

KBintheSLC
December 24, 2008, 07:21 PM
can anyone tell me if the Glock 23 40sw or the Glock 29 10mm has fully supported chambers?

I don't think that any Glock has a fully supported chamber. That is what makes them so reliable... a slightly looser chamber.
However, it doesn't really matter unless you plan on saving brass for reloads. The stock barrels can be hard on brass... but not to the point of causing failures, especially with good factory ammo.

I'm not sure if this is a more than a freak occurence that happens once in a blue moon.
Honestly, I think blue moons are more common.

Defense Minister
December 24, 2008, 07:49 PM
You can check out this link if you want more info on the Glock Kabooms. I now carry The Smith & Wesson M&P!:D

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html

rbernie
December 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
Last Saturday, dude at my local range blew up his Glock 20.

He was shooting his own 'hot 10mm' reloads - go figure. :rolleyes:

He left the range with the gun in pieces (they never did find the barrel but they found other bits) and a bloody hand, stating how he'd call Glock and ask for warranty repair and try to hide the fact that he was using home-brewed reloads.

Sam1911
December 24, 2008, 08:28 PM
A competitor at IDPA Nationals this year KB'd his Glock during the match. :eek:

Just a few bays down from the Glock display booth and factory reps! :what:

I never did find out if he took the bits and pieces down to them and asked for a refund. :evil:

I really have no opinion on the "issue." I don't like them for lots of other reasons, but I'd shoot one if I could find a reason to want to.

-Sam

Retro
December 24, 2008, 08:53 PM
In my humble opinion, I think Glock is a perfect platform for 9 mm. However, I have my doubts about Glock in .40 and .45 calibers because the polymer frame does not have steel inserts, unlike the HK USP counterparts which has steel inserts at vital stress points. Also in the early 2000 or so, Glock in .40 caliber did not have fully protected/supported chamber, but I think that problem was corrected in more recent versions.

ljnowell
December 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
I seem to remember that Glocks have a component that wears out after so many rounds, and that not recognizing its failure and trying to shoot it again will result in blowing the gun up.
No. Enough said.

You can check out this link if you want more info on the Glock Kabooms. I now carry The Smith & Wesson M&P!

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html
Asking them for glock advice would be like asking Obama for advice on guns. Or Barney Frank for advice on women.

GregGry
December 24, 2008, 09:16 PM

Yeah its called the barrel. Shoot a round through without clearing the squib out of the barrel and kaboom! Or shoot nuclear handloads through it and KABOOM! :D

alaskanativeson
December 24, 2008, 09:50 PM
If Glocks were unsafe they wouldn't be in use by so many different organizations around the world. I seem to recall that the Navy Seals use the Sig now because the slide on an M92 Beretta failed catastrophically and seriously injured a SEAL team member. The Beretta was and is a good gun that had an accident. It happens. I have to agree with the thoughts here that say there are Glock problems visible because there are so many more Glocks in use than a lot of other brands. I got my first Glock back in the early 90s and I still own Glocks today with thousands of rounds through them. I don't have aproblem with trusting my life to them.

WardenWolf
December 24, 2008, 09:59 PM
My soon to be carry piece will be a Ruger GP-100

Good choice. It's a big freaking revolver, though.

jocko
December 24, 2008, 10:05 PM
had to pick a gun to stake my life on, no doubt it wouldbe a G19 any day, all day. Not my gun of choice but certainly not because of reliability and safety. People love to knock glocks, why i don't know, my bet is more jealousy than anthing else, for everywhere you look, someone is carrying a glock. Put a million plus glocks out there in the hands of good shooters, and in the hands of some idiots and yup, ka-booms will happen.

Damn funny though that most all guns are compared to glocks in some way or the other.

PhillyGlocker
December 24, 2008, 10:21 PM
All I want for Christmas is for everyone to stop feeding the trolls.
Tell me about it. I really think companies pay these trolls to forum hop.

FoMoGo
December 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
One reason I wont own a glock... I refuse to own a gun that you shouldnt reload for.

Jim

ljnowell
December 24, 2008, 10:41 PM
I have always been able to judge a persons gun knowledge by blanket statements. GLocks are junk. Thats one of them. You dont have to like them, you dont have to love them, but if you know about guns you will acknowledge that they deserve respect. Another one, 1911s jam. The term 1911 to me is like saying SAO pistol. A Kimber is not a Springfield is not a les baer. Generalizations are an easy way to tell if someones opinions are worth a damn.

WardenWolf
December 24, 2008, 10:45 PM
Actually a friend told me he saw a Glock blow up recently. It had some problem with the action, and my friend told him to put it away and get it fixed. He didn't, and blew it up. Of course, there's a certain degree of stupidity that occurs with shooting a gun that has a problem, that you don't know what it is. Unless you KNOW it's "just a jam", you ought to be careful. I'm sticking with my overbuilt Ruger P90.

Redneck with a 40
December 24, 2008, 11:02 PM
This is why I like XD's, hammer forged barrels and fully supported chambers. I've fired damn near 3000 rounds of my reloads, zero problems. Of course, I'm an expert, carefull reloader.:D:neener:

basicblur
December 24, 2008, 11:12 PM
One reason I wont own a glock... I refuse to own a gun that you shouldnt reload for.

You do realize, being the pragmatist you obviously are, the world no longer has a place for us.

It's all about marketing with these young'uns donchaknow? :D

FoMoGo
December 24, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have 2 S&W N frames, 2 1911s, a GP100, a .44 special snubby, and a 1949 Star 9mm Largo...
I guess plastic isnt in the cards for me... :D

Jim

North of 49th
December 25, 2008, 02:10 AM
Ahhh time for a Glock bashing thread. I didn't realize we were due already. Come to think of it I haven't seen one in the last few weeks.

+1... No kidding eh.

Oh and by the for all you antis...check out this http://theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=40

I would also like to know of one model of firearm EVER made that has not blown up

CPshooter
December 25, 2008, 03:25 AM
In my humble opinion, I think Glock is a perfect platform for 9 mm. However, I have my doubts about Glock in .40 and .45 calibers because the polymer frame does not have steel inserts, unlike the HK USP counterparts which has steel inserts at vital stress points.I agree with what you said about the 9mm Glocks. I don't plan on owning any Glocks besides my g19 and maybe a 26 down the road..

Is what you said about the steel inserts true though? I was under the impression that Glock knows how to make reliable polymer guns, and that Kahr is the one who makes polymer guns without any steel reinforcing in the frames. That being said, I love both my glock 19 and my USPc40:)

Some of those pics made my jaw drop..OUCH. I agree that 99.99% of all KBs are ammo related.

Carl
December 25, 2008, 03:32 AM
I don't know if the troll comments were directed towards me, but I'm not a glock basher. Like I said I have no experience with auto-loaders since I'm a wheel gun enthusiast. I just recently came across these pictures and decided to ask you guys about it so I can be educated on the issue to find out why it would do that and why Glock for some reason seems to be the center of attention when it comes to exploding guns.

outerlimit
December 25, 2008, 04:29 AM
I didn't think this happened much in Glock .45ACP's. I've mostly heard about the .40's. Though I have read of another instance of a Glock .45ACP blowing up.

I believe Glock redesigned the .40S&W models for more chamber support recently, perhaps in the past couple of years.

The .45ACP being a much lower pressure load than the 9mm or .40S&W, again this is suprising. It would seem like a double charge or squib load, something of that nature. But of course it could easily be the gun as well.

The .40's seem to have the problem more because of a weak case design of the round, combined with it being a plastic gun with poor chamber support and no steel inserts as mentioned above. I haven't heard as much about 9mm Glock Kabooms over the years. I would attribute that to the 9mm's stronger case compared to the .40. For the first ten years or so of Glocks, you never heard much about kabooms, and most of the Glocks were 9mm's. When the .40's came out, that's when you heard more about them. But then the internet wasn't around so much during the first ten years of the Glock so I don't know what to think.

Perhaps some other factors are, a lot of .40 owners aren't really "gun" people as much as 9mm and .45ACP shooters. Though certainly many .40 owners are, but probably less .40 owners are than a lot of other calibers. Just in my personal experience as well, a lot of people who buy their first handgun, or are not really technically inclined about handguns buy the .40. And there's a lot of prevailence of them in law enforcement and I know certainly a lot of those guys are not gun people.

As far as I know, early on people were cautioned away from reloading .40, but now a lot of people do, just because the round is now so prevailent I suppose.

toivo
December 25, 2008, 04:49 AM
People will shoot naked lead out of a stock glock barrel and lead the hell out of it, pushing pressures through the roof, and then KABOOM! It could happen with any gun that gets severely leaded.

That's it in a nutshell. It's right there in the owner's manual, isn't it?

outerlimit
December 25, 2008, 04:54 AM
What kind of commercial naked lead .40 ammo is available? I only see jacketed stuff, even in the bulk shooter packs. Are we talking strictly people who are competent enough to reload, but not clean the bore of their gun once in awhile?

Sorry, I just don't totally buy that explaination.

If you enjoyed reading about "Exploding Glocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!