A Saiga Question

PDA

kuntreeboy80
December 25, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have bought a Saiga AK and wanted to do a Command Arms Accessories kit that has the full rail system and the collapsible "Mil" style buttstock. Not the collapsible and folding Tap style one. Does anyone know if the CAA kit will work? I have looked on there sight and asked around and no one knows for sure!!! And what else should I improve on the Saiga to make it a smooth operator? Thanks for your help

This is the kit I was looking at:

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=286&cID=84

If you enjoyed reading about "A Saiga Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
December 25, 2008, 01:11 AM
this should work fine. However, I noticed no new trigger group. without this, all the other stuff is just fluff.... a tapco trigger kit, will give you a nice, light, smooth trigger pull.

MD_Willington
December 25, 2008, 01:14 AM
I thought CAA was not US made parts...

kuntreeboy80
December 25, 2008, 01:22 AM
I was wondering what kind of trigger thanks for the help on that one. I am not sure if the CAA kit is American made if it's not what else could I do to keep it in 922 Compliance?

Also are the Saiga's Stamped or milled?

nalioth
December 25, 2008, 01:36 AM
I thought CAA was not US made parts... You are correct. They are not US made.

I was wondering what kind of trigger thanks for the help on that one. I am not sure if the CAA kit is American made if it's not what else could I do to keep it in 922 Compliance?

Also are the Saiga's Stamped or milled?
Which parts count toward 922r compliance - THR (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=415134)

Saigas use stamped receivers.

kuntreeboy80
December 25, 2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks nalioth I have been reading up on 922 and have been trying to figure out what to replace along with the CAA parts so that way I can have the best of both. I know I will replace the trigger and from there Im kinda stuck. I am not very mechanically inclined I can work wood like a champion so I will have to take it to a local gun shop but I dont wanna go with there advise they like to sell the super expensive stuff there! Can anyone suggest a kit that is US made that is similar to the CAA?

nalioth
December 25, 2008, 02:04 AM
If you are a woodworker, you are overqualified to convert a Saiga. Don't take it to any shop, they'll just steal your money.

There are hundreds of places that have how-tos on this, with the primary spot being the Saiga forum (http://forum.saiga-12.com).

rangerruck
December 25, 2008, 01:40 PM
I agree with nalioth, I can't work on wood, though i have tried, and yet saigas are easy to convert. Get a tapco G-2 trigger group, american made mags by megamolder or surefire, get a american made piston, then a tapco buttstock, and pistol grip. Go to Saiga12.com, for you parts needs/compliance questions for parts, and you can go to Youtube, for a few million videos , on various conversion parts. Lastly , any parts from Dinzag, especially the bullet guide, is very good.

MD_Willington
December 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
Same boat here, I test embedded firmware and write Perl scripts, though I do have a leg up so to speak, I'm pretty well versed in basic metal working and auto building, well demo derby car building LOL...

Overall, "putting lipstick" on the Saiga is down right easy....

Can't be all that hard if little Afghani kiddies are making complete Kyber pass rifles at 10 years of age, can it ??... LOL

kuntreeboy80
December 25, 2008, 09:32 PM
I think Im gonna try to replace as many internal parts to make 922 standards and then do the CAA parts externally. I have a Tapco stock on it and it came with a pistol grip from the gun shop but the Tapco is a Collapsable and side fold Im 6-6 and it is too long for my arms comfortably Will that make it in compliance? I get confused with the 14 parts have to make..... Yea I get lost!

Kymasabe
December 26, 2008, 12:34 AM
I recently did a conversion on my new Saiga and was a little concerned but now that I've done it, was really much simpler th an I thought and not worth worrying about, just jump in and get it done, can be done with fairly simple hand tools. I'm waiting for some new parts, I'm going to completely disassemble my newly converted gun and make some parts improvements and am already looking for my next Saiga to convert. From beginning to end took me about three hours the first time. Now that I've done one, I'll bet I can get the whole thing done in less than two, especially if I use my drill press instead of the cordless drill this time.

kuntreeboy80
December 26, 2008, 12:53 AM
Kymasabe what did you do to yours if you don't mind me asking? This will be the first gun I really customize I have been carrying Beretta's and Colt M16-M4's for so long everything else is foreign to me! Plus the Mil doesn't like when you mess with there guns!!!! Pics would even be great also! Thanks

MD_Willington
December 26, 2008, 03:06 AM
You can put 4 US internal parts into it.
Piston = 1
Trigger group = 3

kuntreeboy80
December 26, 2008, 03:31 AM
Awesome thanks MD I was already planning on the trigger so that will make it complete

Kymasabe
December 27, 2008, 01:21 AM
The more US parts the better, honestly, I think you need 6 in a Saiga.
Trigger takes care of three, pistol grip and butt stock are two more. You need one more, I'm not sure if the Saiga takes a standard AK gas piston and piston look like a pain to replace. I'd go with US made mag floor plates or followers instead, or thread the barrel and install a US muzzle brake.

nalioth
December 27, 2008, 01:35 AM
The more US parts the better, honestly, I think you need 6 in a Saiga.In a Saiga without a muzzle device, 4 are needed.

If you add a pistol grip (they don't come with one), you need 5 (as you'll have 15 parts then).

If you enjoyed reading about "A Saiga Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!