m1 garand

PDA

chriso
December 25, 2008, 04:10 AM
Just got my christmas present from my old lady a m1 garand from her father... the reciever reads 382xxx and the barrel says blue sky arlington va. From what I heard its a damn good shooter in great shape stock has character.

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
December 25, 2008, 04:14 AM
Piiiiiictuuuures..... :D

chriso
December 25, 2008, 04:14 AM
Also whats the little hole behind the trigger guard? and it also seems like the safety on the gun wont engage...

barry960
December 25, 2008, 04:15 AM
Beautiful present! That lady's definitely a keeper!

chriso
December 25, 2008, 04:15 AM
I dont know how haha any advice on how to??? it will work great because I just got my old lady a new camera :)...

chriso
December 25, 2008, 04:26 AM
Alsoo whats a good place to get en blocs and good ammo??? I was wondering if I could do anything to the gas system to take higher pressure rounds... and If anyone could tell me what blue sky is???

lipadj46
December 25, 2008, 04:56 AM
Here is an adjustable gas plug (not sure if it is the best price):
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/855569

CMP has the best price on surplus 30.06 bar none:
http://www.odcmp.com/

End Blocks can be had most anywhere for cheap so check around (Bill Ricca's, Numrich, Orion 7 Enterprises. sarco, chestnut ridge etc.)

The hole in the trigger guard is to put in a little metal stick/bar (or combo tool) to help pry it up to remove it (the first step in field stripping the rifle). The rifle has to be cocked for the safety to engage, it may be stiff also.

Why is the sky blue?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_is_the_sky_blue%3F

Awesome xmas present you have a cool father-in-law. Search around and learn the ins and outs of the M1 Garand. Make sure you give it a good comprehensive cleaning and lube, remember garands like grease.

Swampy
December 25, 2008, 08:02 AM
Also whats the little hole behind the trigger guard? and it also seems like the safety on the gun wont engage...

The hole in the back of the milled TG is designed to hold the pivot pin of the Winter Trigger unit. Later stamped TG's did not have a hole.

The hammer must be cocked in order for the safety to engage.

Alsoo whats a good place to get en blocs and good ammo???
CMP

I was wondering if I could do anything to the gas system to take higher pressure rounds...
Install a ported gas lock screw from either McCann or Schuster.

Note re "higher pressure": The M1 rifles action is as strong as any action out there an stronger than many. It is able to handle the BREECH PRESSURE of any commercial or handloaded ammo that is within safe limits and-or SAAMI spec. Where the M1 has concerns is it's designed in need for GAS PORT PRESSURE of a specific range.... i.e. military M2 spec. This is why a ported gas lock screw can help.... to bleed off excess gas port pressure from commercial ammo that is not made to US M2 spec.

and If anyone could tell me what blue sky is???
Blue Sky is the name of the importer who brought your rifle back into the US from Korea in the 80's or early 90's. Required by law to be stamped on the barrel of any military arm repat'd to the US.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

1KPerDay
December 25, 2008, 09:18 AM
As swampy says, the hammer must be cocked for the safety to engage. Pull the operating rod handle to the rear smartly; the bolt will lock back.

CAREFULLY press down on the follower (inside the receiver) with your thumb WHILE HOLDING THE OPERATING ROD HANDLE TO THE REAR. When the bolt unlocks, move your thumb out of the way and carefully let the op rod handle move forward.

Then the safety should engage.

chuckusaret
December 25, 2008, 10:14 AM
I carried an M1 the 3 or 4 years I was in the military and fired expert with it every year. Great weapon, but was big and weighed about 9 pounds

Starship1st
December 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
Your wife and father-in-law are the best. Merry Christmas! :cool:

chriso
December 25, 2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah I figured the safety out last night man do I love this rifle!!! Whats a good grease or lubricant to use on the m1? and anywhere I can get a quality bayonet:evil:???

highorder
December 25, 2008, 03:47 PM
Here is a good thread about grease for your rifle:

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=35270

As for bayonets, the WWII variants are getting expensive (<$100)

Here is some great info:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1Bayonet.htm

This one is par for the course:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118808211

Geno
December 25, 2008, 03:58 PM
chriso:

You shouldn't risk firing an old Garand. Box it up and send it to my FFL. I keep it safe for you, especially if it's a good shooter. :neener:

Oooops... :banghead:

I mean, remember, they aren't safe to shoot. :D

<<Kicks stones>> Gave it my best.

Doc2005

chriso
December 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
My m1 I took this with a camera phone more pics soon with a camera!!! haha...

helz_mcfugly
December 27, 2008, 07:22 PM
thats an awesome gun chriso. My father told me he carried one of those exact rifles in military school in 1955 so Im looking for one of those myself to give to him before he expires. looks like they run about $1100 for the kind he had, which is what you have. He said he also had to carry the carbine which weighed a little more. whats better then the rifle you have there are the people that gave it to you. I hope you thanking your lucky charms for that chick ya have mate.

DarkCharisma
December 27, 2008, 07:24 PM
Please excuse me as I pick up my jaw and wipe the drool from my desk.

You have the best wife. Does she have a sister?

chriso
December 27, 2008, 07:25 PM
Oh I am and thank you for the compliment.

jpwilly
December 27, 2008, 07:28 PM
Congrats! They are fine rifles. Pick up some surplus ammo from the CMP HINT it's ammo that was made for the M1 Garand.

Don't shoot comercial hunting ammo you may damage the rifle by bending the op rod!

chriso
December 27, 2008, 07:33 PM
haha sorry no sister!!! I grabbed the only one and boy am I lucky!!! Yeah I was going to order some ammo from the CMP pretty soon well ASAP and take it out and give you guys a range report with some more pics... In what increments do the adjustable sites move in???

jpwilly
December 27, 2008, 07:40 PM
Chriso if you get the surplus from CMP they have some that's already on Enblock clips.

chriso
December 27, 2008, 07:43 PM
Sweet deal!!! man I cant seem to get my pic to upload on the other pic forum thats going on about the m1's m1as and what not... hmmm...

lipadj46
December 27, 2008, 10:46 PM
Upload the picture to photobucket.com then copy and paste in the image URL code they give you.

rondog
December 28, 2008, 12:59 AM
I'm an M1 neophyte too! I just bought my first this summer, it's a 1943 Springfield, got it for $700. Has a new replacement barrel on it, came with an ammo can full of 192 M2 rounds in clips and cheesy bandoliers, I'm told it's Korean and corrosive.

It's a blast to shoot, but I don't really have a lot of time on it yet. I found a guy on another forum with a cut-down 1920 SA bayonet w/scabbard. Pretty good shape, but the walnut grips are kinda worn, but original.

chriso
December 28, 2008, 03:17 AM
Yeah mines 1941 brought back from korea by blue sky... Now all I need to do is get ammo!!!

lipadj46
December 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
Run do not walk and join one of the CMP recognized shooting associations and buy their surplus 30.06. The Garand Collectors Association is $25 a year and I believe it is approved by the CMP. Buy as much 30.06 as they will let you while it is still available at these prices.

chriso
December 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
Oh you need to be in the CMP to buy the ammo???

Swampy
December 28, 2008, 04:03 PM
Oh you need to be in the CMP to buy the ammo???

No one is "IN" the CMP. The CMP does not itself have "members".

You must however, be a member of a CMP affiliate organization before you can order rifles, ammo, or other items from the CMP. This is a requirement of their Congressional Charter.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

chriso
December 28, 2008, 04:11 PM
oh ok I thought the CMP itself was a club. So what type of groups can I join that the CMP recognizes???

lipadj46
December 28, 2008, 04:22 PM
Like I said above the GCA is one of the less expensive options though if you belong to a local shooting club or organization that will probably do:

http://www.thegca.org/images/GCAMemApp.pdf.pdf

Go to the CMP site or call them for the details.

Swampy
December 29, 2008, 09:11 AM
oh ok I thought the CMP itself was a club. So what type of groups can I join that the CMP recognizes???

The CMP website has a full listing of the orgs that are CMP affiliates.

Most all state rifle orgs are CMP affiliates plus many local clubs and ranges.

As earlier mentioned the Garand Collectors Assoc. is cheap and easy to join, but I'd recommend supporting one of your local clubs with your membership $$$.

If that is too expensive, then the next best choice is your state rifle org. State Associations support competitive rifle competitions statewide and go a long way to promoting proper firearms training for youngsters, positive public perceptions of firearms in general, and supporting pro-gun lobbyists in your state capital. Give them your $$$$.....

I am a double CMP affiliate member..... I belong to my local CMP club here in SW Missouri... the Osage Orange Sharpshooters. Website at http://www.osageorangesharpshooters.com.

I also belong to the MSSA.... Missouri Sport Shooters Association... my states rifle org.... which is a requirement of any state resident who enters into NRA Highpower Championships in Missouri.

Just my 2 bits,
Swampy

Garands forever

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!