Winchester cases?

PDA

ar10
December 25, 2008, 12:35 PM
I picked up a sorted a bunch of Winchester .308 cases and was curious if anyone knows the difference between the "Winchester" headstamp and the "W C C" headstamp. I looked it up and W C C means "Winchester Cartridge Co."

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
December 25, 2008, 12:51 PM
Normally, the WCC headstamp is on military ammunition. If it was military, there would also be a two digit number indicating the year of manufacture. If it's loaded to NATO specifications, there will also be a circle with a cross inside, like crosshairs.

Hope this helps.

Fred

hershey
December 25, 2008, 12:57 PM
from my own expieriences, i can say one has a crimp, and the full word winchesters don't, that is on .223 stuff.

Ky Larry
December 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
Wasn't Western Cartridge Co. owned by Winchester? I have some .45 ACP brass that is headstamped WCC 43. I was told it was made by Western in 1943. Is there a year date on the head stamp?

10 Spot Terminator
December 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
WCC headstamp is definitely military issue and must be noted has crimped primer pockets and they need to be swaged out to allow hand loading. The WINCHESTER head stamps are sporting loads for the general public and can be reloaded without modifying the primer pockets .

ar10
December 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
I thought so. I noticed it when I weighed them. WCC: 176.3gn
Winchester: 157.6gn. There's also a crimp ring on the WCC cases but not much. (compared to the GGG cases I just finished. that one has a very pronounced ring but the weight is identical to the WCC cases.)
I guess I could combine the WCC and GGG cases and dropping the load 2gn. The OFV cases are definitely NATO and those suckers weigh 185.3gn.
All the cases I weighed have been cleaned, trimmed to 2.005, reamed and polished.

MMCSRET
December 25, 2008, 03:54 PM
Winchester also used Military headstamped cases in some of their "Q" loads marketed in the late 80's and into the 90's. It was the predecessor of what today is called WWB. I have a lot of 38 Special that is marked with WCC and the year in four digits such as WCC 1988. I have seen 308 marked this way.

TooTaxed
December 25, 2008, 10:45 PM
AR 10, your OFV cases are indeed NATO spec ammunition produced in the Phillippenes. They appear to be rather high quality, and are boxer primed.

ar10
December 26, 2008, 12:15 AM
AR 10, your OFV cases are indeed NATO spec ammunition produced in the Phillippenes. They appear to be rather high quality, and are boxer primed.

I don't know yet, I haven't reloaded/shot any of them yet. They are pretty heavy tho.
I also came across some WW super's weighing about 152gn's. They aren't crimped so I'm guessing they're some sort of civilian cases.

TooTaxed
December 26, 2008, 12:18 AM
Whoops! I goofed. Another Senior Moment, I suppose!

Those OFV cases are from India. The PMCs are from the Phillippines.

ReloaderFred
December 26, 2008, 02:31 AM
OFV are from India, but PMC is owned by a Korean company now. Prior to that, they were in Boulder City, Nevada, and made a lot of their brass there on machines they purchased from B.E.L.L.

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester cases?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!