Pro mags for an AR-15

PDA

Marine_wannabe
December 25, 2008, 07:58 PM
How good are the 20 round Pro Mags for a .223 AR, will they work for hunting and slow aimed shooting?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pro mags for an AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rubber_Duck
December 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
Don't bother. Some will work, some wont. Why take the chance with your money?

Generally, Pro Mags are junk. Its a wonder they're still in business.

Stick to higher quality mags (USGI, Pmags, Lancer, C Products, etc.).

Marine_wannabe
December 25, 2008, 08:34 PM
I got them for Christmas today, my mom said thats the only ones she could find, they seem to cycle fine when I manualy cycle the rounds, I might try to take them back and get some USGI mags.

Marine_wannabe
December 25, 2008, 08:54 PM
What makes Pro mags junk?

Rubber_Duck
December 25, 2008, 09:31 PM
Read this thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=407889

Granted, these are mostly pistol mags that people are talking about but the results are typical of ProMag. Inconsistent.

I would suggest taking them to the range and testing them. If they work, keep them.

crushbup
December 25, 2008, 09:34 PM
They just aren't as high quality as other mags which makes them hit-and-miss in reliability. IIRC, they have a lifetime warranty, so give 'em a try and send back the ones that don't work.

Marine_wannabe
December 25, 2008, 09:38 PM
Ok, I'll try them out tomorrow.

JWarren
December 25, 2008, 09:52 PM
The only experience that I have with Pro-Mags was enough for me.

I had some translucent ones for an AK that I had. I took the magazine out to show it to a friend one day, and I dropped the magazine.

The left feed lip cracked off when it hit the ground, and it proceeded to expell 30 rounds of ammunition all over the ground.

No more Pro-Mags for me... ever.

-- John

pinstripe
December 25, 2008, 10:06 PM
My response will mirror the others. I actually threw mine in the trash after having them for only 2 days.

NC-Mike
December 25, 2008, 10:58 PM
I got them for Christmas today, my mom said thats the only ones she could find, they seem to cycle fine when I manualy cycle the rounds, I might try to take them back and get some USGI mags.

Make sure the AR is pointed in a safe direction if you cycle ammo through it by hand.

Did you take a look at the rounds you cycled? See any little dimples on the primers? That's where the firing pin hit the primer... :uhoh:

Its normal but bad stuff can happen.

Rubber_Duck
December 25, 2008, 11:00 PM
I'll add to the above post:

Don't chamber the same round over and over again.

Marine_wannabe
December 26, 2008, 12:12 AM
I only cycled them once, I took the firing pin out before I cycled them, and it was pointed in a safe direction.

I'm not that dumb;)

NC-Mike
December 26, 2008, 12:16 AM
I only cycled them once, I took the firing pin out before I cycled them, and it was pointed in a safe direction.

Good man!

I'd also suggest you just thank your mom for buying you the Pro-Mags and not mention anything about the quality issue. It is the thought that counts.

My wife got me a 2 liter jug of 12 year old Dewars today. It's not my favorite drinking whiskey but I sure didn't complain about it. :p

Marine_wannabe
December 26, 2008, 12:26 AM
I liked every thing about the mags, untill tonight, I'll just have to test them out tomorrow and see how they work.

jpwilly
December 26, 2008, 12:42 AM
I have two Pro-mags and they cause both of my AR's to have feeding issues. I had a couple of their AK polymer mags...they didn't work. Had some Hi Point Carbine hi cap mags (15rnd)also fail! They traded me two of those for 4 10rnd mags...they also jammed. Never would buy promag ever again.

I hope yours work but I got tired of paying for shipping back and them and still nothing but problems.

Get mil spec stuff and your AR will be happy.

JWarren
December 26, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'd also suggest you just thank your mom for buying you the Pro-Mags and not mention anything about the quality issue. It is the thought that counts.

NC-Mike has it. She's a good mom.

-- John

onebigelf
December 26, 2008, 01:52 PM
I have never understood how ProMag, USA Magazine, and Triple K all manage to stay in business. I mean, these guys have been around for DECADES and nobody I talk to has ever liked a single product. I don't know anyone that's ever said, "Yeah, these things are great. Mine work fantastic." And yet here they are still in business. I know there are suckers everywhere, but really, how many companies that make good products fail, and these folks are still cruising right along. ***?

John

Still Too Many Choices!?
December 27, 2008, 12:43 PM
Pro mags will not drop free from my Rock River AR, but will from my Bushmaster. Myeh, I just use them in my AR-pistol,as usgi 20 rounders are hard to find, and the thirties proportion funny compared to the short pistol barrel. Oh yeah, the Pro mags I have also won't seat on a full chamber, but for 20 dollar 20 rounders, I would pass them up for 13 dollar usgi 30's every time.

Still 2 Many Choices!?

aomagrat
December 27, 2008, 06:20 PM
I don't have any promags for my AR-15's. I do have lots of promags for my Mini-14. About half of work reliably.

Marine_wannabe
December 27, 2008, 06:37 PM
Well 5 rounds out of both mags and they work great, but I still think I'll take them back and get USGI Mags.

W.E.G.
December 27, 2008, 07:10 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/pro-magrunaway.jpg

jpwilly
December 27, 2008, 07:23 PM
Well 5 rounds out of both mags and they work great, but I still think I'll take them back and get USGI Mags.

Don't your AR mags hold 30rnds? If you were testing for proper function 5 rounds in a 30rnd mag hardley enough. Most mags fail to feed when fully loaded...Load them up all the way shoot all the rounds see what happens.

Marine_wannabe
December 27, 2008, 08:59 PM
I emptied the two full mags and they jammed. Thay are going back!

fgr39
December 27, 2008, 11:48 PM
I bought a 20 round pro mag once, the only time any of my AR's jammed was with that mag. In the trash it went and I will not touch them again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pro mags for an AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!