H322 in Garand?

PDA

plinky
December 25, 2008, 09:25 PM
Has anyone tried H322 in a Garand (.30-06 of course)? It's a bit faster than the most often suggested powders but maybe that's OK. As I understand, the slow powders are the problem for a Garand. H322 meters like a dream and I have pounds of it so using it would be nice.

Sierra has loads in the right velocity range. It seems that the only potential problem would be lack of gas pressure at the port and that doesn't really seem likely.

My little brother will be getting an M1 for Christmas and I want to set him up with some ammo that won't hurt the rifle. I plan to use 150gr bullets.

All experience appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "H322 in Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BsChoy
December 25, 2008, 09:35 PM
If you go to Hodgdons website there is a link to the reloading section. H322 is not listed as, I believe it to be, much too fast a powder for the '06 next slowest would be H335 and that is usable in light bullet loadings

plinky
December 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Yes, after perusing more sources, the Sierra manual is the only one listing H322 for 150gr bullets. Obviously it won't get the velocity that a slower powder will and that's probably why others don't list it.

Thanks for the input.

If you enjoyed reading about "H322 in Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!