Springfield socom or DSA FN FAL

PDA

patsygarret
December 26, 2008, 12:09 AM
I know there is a simular thread going on right now but what I am looking for is people that have shot either one and what type of accuracy at 100 yards w good ammo and how the triggers were in the rifle. the DSA I am looking at has a 16" barrel. and the socom is also 16" Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield socom or DSA FN FAL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
December 26, 2008, 12:11 AM
The search function is your friend.

Retro
December 26, 2008, 12:22 AM
With Lake City ammo (not match ammo), SOCOM 16 accuracy is off in comparison to STD M1A at 100 yards. With scopes, M1A achieves 1.5 - 2 MOA, and SOCOM is about 4 MOA on a good day. With Lake City, IMBEL FAL I had shoots 4 MOA at 100 yards consistently, and 6 MOA when the barrel overheats. DSA uses heavy weight barrels, which may be more stable than IMBEL FAL. You can't go wrong with either of the two. FAL may not be around for long... SOCOM may survive the Obama reign.

Grayrider
December 26, 2008, 12:12 PM
I sold my SOCOM when I got my 16" SA58. The SA is much more ergonomic and has the advantages of being able to use any FAL component or accessory. FALs are my preferred battle rifle regardless of length, so no real contest there. The SOCOM ran fine and was accurate enough, although no more or less than my SA58. I do have one M1A and love the gun, but it is in a standard GI configuration from back when Springfield still used a lot of military parts. To me the current production M1As are not the same. The SA58 is every bit up to or exceeds the military specifications of an FN produced FAL. The civilian rifles we sell are identical to those we sell to military customers save for the extra position on the selector and related parts.

John

H2O MAN
December 26, 2008, 12:14 PM
I believe the better 16" .308 rifle would be the AR-10.

W.E.G.
December 26, 2008, 12:24 PM
Some say the AR-10 class of rifles have a very tight chamber. Wonderful for precision accuracy, but not so good for dirty conditions or milsurp 7.62 ball ammo.

I'd get both. http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/smileys/banana.gif

H2O MAN
December 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
I honestly prefer the M14 with an 18.0" barrel over all of them, but that's just what I've learned and experienced over the years...

patsygarret
December 27, 2008, 03:47 PM
I have talked it over with myself and I think I deserve them both. the wife says only one though and my home is not a democracy and my vote does not count. Thanks for the replys guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield socom or DSA FN FAL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!