Ruger mk 3

PDA

slacker142
December 26, 2008, 02:29 AM
Brand new gun owner here, got a Ruger Mk III .22 and Im anxious to get it on the range.

Ive got some experience with my fathers Beretta 9mm( Im better with it then he is), should I expect anything different besides less recoil?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger mk 3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 26, 2008, 02:53 AM
It'll be more accurate than that Beretta!

-Steve

gpr
December 26, 2008, 04:03 AM
getting the assembly pin back in is a lesson in patience...i have been learning since 1976...gpr

PO2Hammer
December 26, 2008, 04:31 AM
Congrats on the Mk III, welcome to The High Road, shoot safetly.

single stack
December 26, 2008, 08:19 AM
Reassembly after cleaning will be a bother until you get the hang of the procedure.
It is not intuitive. The wording in the directions seems awkward.
Remain calm; the directions are your friend.

Experiment with small batches of a variety of ammo at first.
Once you find the one your gun likes(don't be afraid to try cheap ammo), buy a bunch.
Federal 510 is my favorite.

The MkIII is a great shooter. Enjoy!

SS

david636
December 26, 2008, 09:20 AM
Congratulations on your new MkIII. I have two MkIII’s, a 6 7/8 competition and a 22/45. Both are great guns for shooting targets.

Enjoy yours and be safe.

Fourbits
December 26, 2008, 09:28 AM
Congratulations, you're going to love it. Using the supplied scope mount, try a $30 red dot scope someday. It just adds to the fun.

Rxxdoc
December 26, 2008, 09:32 AM
I love my MkIII, and have probably put 3 thousand rounds thru it without a problem. My only minor complaint is the grip being a bit small for my hands.

It is very accurate, and I haven't had any issues with the gun. You will really love it. Mine likes the cheap ammo, so for $10.00 I can shoot for a few days.

There are a good bunch of people here. Welcome.

LightningMan
December 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
Welcome Slacker142, I bought a Ruger MKIII Hunter model with a 7" tube and really like it now. At first I had problems with stove-piped cases and it didn't matter which type of ammo, cheap or expensive, it didn't matter. I was ready to call Ruger untill I came apon this informational articile off the internet, and I did try this modification to the magazines and sence then, have not had any more stove-piping. So if you have any issues with stove-piping cases you may want to try what I did and go to this web site to see how to do it. LM
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/10/mkii-magazine-tweak.html

onebigelf
December 26, 2008, 01:45 PM
There is a company that makes a really neat mag loader that every Ruger MKx owner should have. I just bought one and it's just zip-zip and the mag is loaded. The ammo companies should give them away. There are videos on Youtube and others that walk you through the intricacies of dis-assembly and re-assembly. Much better than the manual.

John

highlander 5
December 26, 2008, 01:52 PM
Zaliznock Industries sells the loader you speak of they're $30 and you can load Ruger mags in 3 seconds. Go to you tube and type magazine loader and you should find a video on it. It's called the Ultimate Clip Loader and I have 2 and it works like advertised.

wally
December 26, 2008, 02:31 PM
At first I had problems with stove-piped cases and it didn't matter which type of ammo, cheap or expensive, it didn't matter. I was ready to call Ruger untill I came apon this informational articile off the internet, and I did try this modification to the magazines and sence then, have not had any more stove-piping. So if you have any issues with stove-piping cases you may want to try what I did and go to this web site to see how to do it. LM
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...ine-tweak.html

This helped with My Rugers, but ultimately the Volquartson "Exact Edge" extractor was the final solution.

Big +1 to the Ultimate Clip Loader, its why I shoot the Rugers more than any of my other .22 pistols, despite liking the Beretta Neos and S&W M22A a bit better (I have the 7.5" fluted barrel M22A).

--wally.

RickW
December 26, 2008, 05:52 PM
Nice pistol, another BIG + on the UCL.

LightningMan
December 27, 2008, 01:51 AM
Wally, speaking of Volquartson, I installed their accurizing/trigger kit in mine and I really like it. Well worth the $110 and there's a video on Youtube on how to install it if you have problems with understanding the written instructions that come with it. LM

brett30030
December 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
Here is some details on striping and reassembly:

http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

Good luck, get a bore snake and a couple of good brushes and you really do not have to field strip every time you shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger mk 3" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!