Lee dies & 500 S&W

PDA

dmproske
December 26, 2008, 04:20 AM
Santa brought me a Lee 3 die carbide set for my .500 S&W. The instructions with the set make no mention on how to set up the seater die to roll crimp. I had assumed these were roll crimp dies? Is the procedure with this die the same as other dies?

I only have large mag rifle primers. How much should I back off of a load that calls for standard rifle primer?

tia
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee dies & 500 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grumulkin
December 26, 2008, 05:07 AM
They would be roll crimp dies you would set up like any other roll crimp dies.

If you're starting at the lower end of the load range, you don't need to decrease the load whilst using large rifle magnum primers but you should anticipate that your maximum load may be as much as 2 grains less (though probably in the 0.5 to 1 grain range) than with large rifle primers.

dmproske
December 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I tried some loads today. 400 grain Sierra JFP. Used Lil Gun. Loaded up 5 of each. Started at 33 grains and went up to 36 grains. No sign of excessive pressure. Shot 10 factory rounds as well. Left my trigger hand stinging a bit:)

Anyone know offhand if Lee offers different seating stems for the .500?? The seating die deformed the lead points on some of my bullets. Not all of them though, not sure whats going on there.

Also on crimping, it shaved a little brass off of the head of the case.

jerkface11
December 29, 2008, 05:51 PM
Even though they're carbide dies and even though the instructions don't say to. LUBE the cases before you size them. When I got mine I didn't and the carbide shattered on the 5th or 6th round. Lee was not very helpful in resolving the issue either.

broham
December 29, 2008, 07:23 PM
Just thought of something. The 500SW is a handgun cartridge but is also a rifle load. Wouldn't the load data list a handgun primer for this? I believe when shooting a 44 out of a lever gun you would still use a large pistol primer wouldn't you. How much differance is there between a lg rifle mag primer and a lg pistol mag primer.

dmproske
December 29, 2008, 07:46 PM
The current .500 S&W cases use a LR primer. The #14 Speer Manual says they used LR mag primers in their load development.

broham
December 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I just did some searching myself and see the lg rifle primer being used.

Dean Williams
December 30, 2008, 12:42 AM
Quote Jerkface;

Even though they're carbide dies and even though the instructions don't say to. LUBE the cases before you size them. When I got mine I didn't and the carbide shattered on the 5th or 6th round. Lee was not very helpful in resolving the issue either.

I've seen one set of carbide dies cracked from cam over at the bottom of the stroke. RCBS in that case, but probably could have been any brand.

So, what did Lee say when you told them about the die? "Get lost"? "Send them back"? They are usually very good with customer service, and would be interesting to hear what they told you.

jerkface11
December 30, 2008, 03:31 PM
They told me to send them back at my expense. Which made the Lee dies cost just as much as RCBS. It didn't crack from contacting the shell holder though. It was at the top of the stroke. When I got my RCBS dies to replace them the instructions said that even though they were carbide 500S&W is so large that you still need to lube them or the carbide can crack. Lee still doesn't include that info.

Strongbad
December 30, 2008, 06:47 PM
Just a caution here folks. The Hornady cases use pistol primers. The Starline cases use LR primers. LR primers with cases made with LP primer pockets es muy peligroso! (Dangerous) You can end up with a bad situation if you get them mixed. You'll have a primer that stands proud out of the pocket which could lead to a chain fire. To date, all I've purchased for my 500 has been Starline and it's all top notch. I think I've got 200 rounds of brass and aside from over crimping a few and buckling them, all the rest are still going strong and I'd say that I've probably got 700 rounds through the pistol so far. Maybe more. All using LR primers.

Dean Williams
December 30, 2008, 08:18 PM
Quote Jerkface:
They told me to send them back at my expense.

I see. From your first post I thought maybe they had refused to make it right. Really though, how much would it cost to mail a die to them? Three to four bucks? It's not unusual to have to pay postage one way. RCBS is the same way. I got a die from them that had boogered threads on the decapper body. They replaced it free, but of course I had to pay to mail it to them. There's nothing unusual about that.

dmproske
December 30, 2008, 09:03 PM
Strongbad,

I just bought 2 new boxes of Hornady brass that uses LR primers. When I was shopping for brass last month, All new brass that I saw for sale uses LR primers. Maybe what you saw was old stock using pistol primers.

jerkface11
December 31, 2008, 12:57 AM
They're the ones who made the die wrong. I see no reason for their mistake to cost me one penny.

Strongbad
December 31, 2008, 10:18 AM
Strongbad,

I just bought 2 new boxes of Hornady brass that uses LR primers. When I was shopping for brass last month, All new brass that I saw for sale uses LR primers. Maybe what you saw was old stock using pistol primers.

dmproske, we're talking specifically for the 500 S&W only, correct? That's the only one that they did that with. If the 500 S&W brass from Hornady is now coming with LR pockets, that's great... and smart. :)

dmproske
January 1, 2009, 08:02 AM
Yes that is correct

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee dies & 500 S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!