Marlin Bullseye

PDA

76shuvlinoff
December 26, 2008, 11:27 AM
The Bullseye has been missing from my 39A for years. I bought one from Brownells for $2.95. Looks simple enough but has anyone actually replaced one of these? The thing is all least twice as long as the hole in the stock is deep. I am not sure if this is normal or if there is something wedged in there. I am really leerly of grabbing up my Dewalt and just drilling it out. Looking at my 1894c the bullseye is contoured to match the curve on the stock, this could be interesting to accomplish and avoid marring the finish on the 39A stock. I'm no cabinet maker LOL!

If I get that far would a dab of Gorilla glue be a good choice to hold it?

Thanks,
Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Bullseye" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SGW42
December 26, 2008, 12:02 PM
I would sand/file down the bullseye itself before I drilled the stock any deeper.

Then once you have the correct length, "contour" the bullseye out of the stock, fit checking it every so often until it looks nice.

I just recently resoled a pair of shoes with Gorilla Tape, so I imagine the glue is good enough for the job.

jmr40
December 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
I glued mine in and left the excess protuding from the stock. After the glue dried I used masking tape to tape over the stock around the bullseye then carefully filed down. The tape will protect the stock if you let the file slip. The stock is rounded so you want to be able to match the contour of the bullseye to the stock.

Cutting it off a bit will reduce the amount of filing needed but you need some extra to work with to make it look right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Bullseye" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!