Remington 512-x

PDA

Drgong
December 26, 2008, 05:50 PM
My father just gave me his old .22, a Remington 512-X (been stored well for 20+ years, it is in great shape, just needs a good cleaning and some Old English on the stock.

What do I need to know about this gun? How do you get the bolt off to clean it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 512-x" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
natecade1
December 26, 2008, 05:58 PM
IIRC the trigger is the bolt release on that model.
hope that helps.

rust collector
December 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
My first gun was a 514BR (boy's rifle). It was a single shot, but if it was similar to yours it was a matter of pulling the trigger back as far as possible.

The 500 series Remington bolt rimfires were nicely made. Safety knob on the end of the bolt wasn't real handy, but the rifles were built well and were sturdy. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of that rifle.

I wouldn't dry fire it without a spent cartridge or snap cap in the chamber, as firing pins aren't as easy to come by as they once were.

woof
December 26, 2008, 06:09 PM
My first was a 514 also, still have it. It was a very very accurate rifle.

rust collector
December 26, 2008, 06:51 PM
I wasn't the first owner of that first gun, and alas, I wasn't the last. It was soon traded for other guns which were traded again and again. Think carefully before disposing of a gun with sentimental value.

Drgong, many of these old rifles haven't been out of the stock for awhile. They are very simple machines, but the makers assumed a level of mechanical ability in the user that is no longer common. Once you have the bolt out, be careful not to twist it or it can be difficult to reinsert. Lubes can get thick, and if the bolt is sticky or soaked with oil, you may want to use a solvent such as Brakleen or gun scrubber to remove the sludge. Wear eye protection, and once the gunk has been blown out, lightly apply a light oil such as break-free clp, boeshield T9 or eezox.

Blow out the dust bunnies with a little compressed air, oil or wax the metal surfaces below the stock line, and clean the bore. Reassemble and take it to the range for sight adjustment. I was going to go into detail about cleaning the bore, but I see you have enough posts that I would be preaching to the choir.

rangerruck
December 26, 2008, 09:10 PM
also, go over here
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
and check the remmy thread. Best rimfire site out there, with plenty of
helpful dudes... i know that should be a very accurate rifle, but other than
that, I do not know enough about Remmy.

knzn
December 27, 2008, 11:29 AM
IIRC the trigger is the bolt release on that model.
hope that helps.

Yep, open the bolt, pull the trigger and pull the bolt right on out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 512-x" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!