Inexpensive .22 revolver?

PDA

Drgong
December 26, 2008, 06:55 PM
Just wondering, what is a good, inexpensive .22? Not looking for collector peices, just something to shoot the daylights out of...:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive .22 revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 26, 2008, 07:02 PM
The Daylights would require at least a Ruger Single-Six.

Anything less will see the sun set on them.

Revolvers are fairly complicated mechanisms, and really cheap ones start out behind the curve on both materials & fitting.

rcmodel

JT'sDad
December 26, 2008, 07:58 PM
Find a used Taurus model 94 4".
9 shots of .22lr, trigger is tough at first but they smooth out with age.
I had a 2" I sold to fund another gun, but never had any problems with it. Used for around $250.

wnycollector
December 26, 2008, 11:40 PM
H&R made great no-nonsense .22's, you can find one used between $100-200.

xstuntman
December 27, 2008, 01:46 AM
Yeah, my favs are the H&Rs, especially the nine shots. It's getting hard to find them for less than $125 nowadays though. Also Heritage has a new SA six shooter without the mag cylinder that locally sells for $130 and from experience I can tell you their lots of fun. Mike

bensdad
December 27, 2008, 01:54 AM
I will politely disagree with the previous poster. I have a Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 SA. My 6yo son likes to dink around with it, but I can't stand the thing. It shoots way left, and the sites can't be fixed for less than the cost of the gun. Not cool.

+1 on the old H&R. There are several models and all are fantastic. Got some ching? Get the single six.

MetalMan52
December 27, 2008, 02:21 AM
H&R's are hard to beat for the price. I shoot several and picked them up for little cash. They have been reliable and as accurate as I can shoot a pistol (old eyes). They come is all styles and sizes.
Pat

woad_yurt
December 27, 2008, 11:21 AM
The H&R 922 (top) cost me $89 and the 929 was $55, shipped price. I got them them both on Gunbroker in the last 4 months. I have and will continue to shoot the daylights out of them.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/HR92240202.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/pix162310203.jpg

Master Blaster
December 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
Why is it the words .22lr and cheap seem to go together whenever someone is looking for a .22 handgun?

Your .22lr handgun should be equal to or better quality than any other gun you own.

A .22lr is very cheap to shoot, that fact will make up for any extra you spend on the gun. A good .22lr is going to be extremely durrable. You will shoot it more than any other handgun you own and hand it down to you grandchildren. It will help develop your shooting skills more than any other handgun you own.
It will be the most accurate firearm you own.
Get a good .22 not a cheap one.
My recommendation is any Smith and Wesson that fits her hand, The taurus model 94 is a good gun if you want a j frame size gun and cant afford a Smith. I have a 94 made in 1995 and I have fired thousands of rounds out of it. Its the gun I use to teach newbees to shoot, the trigger on mine is very good for a j-frame gun that uses a coil spring.

Kevin108
December 27, 2008, 12:35 PM
Similar to my thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=413941

jwr747
December 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
I have a High Standard Sentinal Delux Revolver that I bought in 1968 that has had enough ammo thru it to scare the " Brady Bunch" to death.looks ragged still shoots and never a problem out of it. jwr

ArchAngelCD
December 28, 2008, 04:05 AM
Try and find yourself a nice used S&W M63. It's a j frame SA/DA .22 Revolver with a 5" barrel which fires 8 rounds. What's not to like?

MCgunner
December 28, 2008, 12:09 PM
Daylights shot out and still looking for the next sunrise. :D

Rossi M511 Sportsman. It's amazingly accurate.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52460&d=1170458198

woad_yurt
December 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
Master Blaster: The OP said "inexpensive."

I bought my near mint Mod 14-4 for $300 total. I would call that "inexpensive."

If one looks around, there are good deals. That 929 in the picture cost almost nothing and it turned out to be a real accurate little gun with a DA trigger to die for. "Good" and "inexpensive" are not mutually exclusive. In that same few weeks that I bought the two above, I also got a 929 with a 6" barrel & pretty nice DA trigger pull for $92. 92+55+89=236. For only $236, I got two nice shootin' 929s and an indestructible, hardly used knock-around 922 from 1941. None of them are cheaply made.

Don't get me wrong, a nice S&W .22 revolver is a great thing and I'll have one someday but I'll survive as it is until then. I'm happily full up on inexpensively gotten .22s.

BigBlock
December 28, 2008, 07:49 PM
Why is it the words .22lr and cheap seem to go together whenever someone is looking for a .22 handgun?

That's the whole reason people buy .22s...to shoot cheaply. If money were no object I would shoot nothing but .38/.357/.44, but instead I too am looking for a CHEAP .22 for shooting cheap ammo. Cheap cheap cheap.

For me, spending $400+ on a .22 revolver makes no sense at all...unless you have a lot of money and are building a collection...(I'd rather just spend that money on a .38/.357)

revolverforums
December 28, 2008, 08:01 PM
BigBlock but why spend $200 on a gun that you will shoot for a couple of years that has almost no value when your done with it. You could spend $400 to $500 on a gun that you could shoot a couple of years and then sell it for as much if not more then you paid for it. I have one model 17 that I paid $250 for many years ago and I'm willing to bet that after pumping no less then 10k rounds through it I could easily double my money back for it now.

http://www.moviephotoforums.com/photopost/data/502/medium/22_s.jpg

22-rimfire
December 28, 2008, 08:19 PM
Buy smart and you won't ever need to buy another 22 again unless you're like me. I have numerous. Every one of them is a quality firearm.

Cheap guns are cheaply made. The cheapest good 22 revolver is a Ruger Single Six. A better choice is a Colt New Frontier or Peacemaker if you like single actions. I prefer double action revolvers in 22 caliber. The least expensive double action that is likely good quality is the Taurus M94 and they are hit or miss with a high percentage needing to be sent back to the factory. Master Blaster told you right.

Inexpensive guns are good values for a quality piece. Look for a used Smith or Colt.

Guillermo
December 29, 2008, 09:13 PM
I agree totally with Master Blaster, 22-rimfire and the others that suggest that you not skimp on quality.

Never have I saved money buying a cheap gun.

I would try to find an old Smith.

22-rimfire
December 30, 2008, 01:38 AM
I wanted to add a couple things. I do encourage folks to buy smart and buy a good 22 revolver. There is no reason why a 22 should cost less than a 357 mag or 38spl revolver and in fact often cost a little more. There are reasons for this from a manufacturing point of view. I'm not expert, but adjustments have to be made at the manufacturing level for proper ignition of rimfire cartridges as well as more machining on the cylinder and probably the barrel. The better ones are essentially built on a medium sized frame such as used for 357's.

You can find old double action H&R revolvers around used for under $300. These are guns that sold for around $100 when they were new. Colts and Smiths at the time were selling for around $250-$350 new. These revolvers function well. They were never made to the tolerances that Smith's and Colt's were. You will find that they often have wide gaps between the cylinder and barrel and the sights are something to be desired. But they do shoot and they are safe to shoot. I would lump some of the old Charter Arms revolvers into this group as well. Good luck with your choices.

My first 22 revolver was a H&R Model 999 which was the top of the line H&R at the time. I shot it a lot until I learned that the Smith's and Colts were substantially better made. Then I threw that revolver in a drawer so to speak for about 10 years and then sold it.

WNC Seabee
December 30, 2008, 03:44 PM
revolverforums said: I have one model 17 that I paid $250 for many years ago.

Hey...I'll gladly let you make $100 on that Mod 17 right now. I'll even pay the shipping...just let me know where the check should go! :D

Bill B.
December 31, 2008, 08:09 AM
High Standard Sentinel is a rather good inexpensive .22 revolver. Plinker quality but should last the average lifetime. Get one in like new shape because it hasn't been made in years and I don't know if you could find parts or not.

Revolver Ocelot
December 31, 2008, 08:29 AM
somethin like this?

http://i41.tinypic.com/iglu77.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Inexpensive .22 revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!