Cleaning Brass

PDA

steverjo
December 26, 2008, 11:50 PM
I know the reasons for cleaning brass and how to do it in a tumbler, but what about the inside of the casing...... Is there any need to clean the inside? And if so, how do you do it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bullseye308
December 27, 2008, 12:11 AM
The tumbler will clean the inside of the case.

MetalMan52
December 27, 2008, 02:02 AM
I used to tumble my cases to clean them for a number of years but have now switched to an ultrasonic cleaner. It will clean the outside, inside and the primer pockets. They are amazing, no more sticking of media in the primer flash hole. I wish I would have found this method years ago.
Pat

shotgunjoel
December 27, 2008, 02:08 AM
Dumb question, I know it cleans the brass, but why do you need to clean your brass before you reload? I don't reload so I guess I'm a bit of an outsider.

indiandave
December 27, 2008, 09:30 AM
You will destroy the fine polish of your resizing die. Cleaned cases will be easier to work with and easier to handle. they also will be more attractive.

jcwit
December 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
Use carbide dies, mfg. uses diamonds to polish carbide. How are you going to scratch the inside of the dies, dirt isn't going to do it. It is possible to gall nickle or brass on the inside surface of the die and this will leave scratches on the brass, but the die is still fine. This galling is even more prominent with steel dies. I usually size then clean, been doing it this way for years, since the 60's, thousands and thosands, of rounds, 10,000 to 20,000 per year and no problems so far.

kolob10
December 27, 2008, 09:48 AM
The inside of the brass case will get some cleaning with a normal tumble or vibratory polisher. It is not necessary to clean the inside of the case except for the primer pocket ocassionally.

possum
December 27, 2008, 09:53 AM
i don't tumble my brass unless they are really dirty like, have been in the mud, or wet/ sandy etc.

Walkalong
December 27, 2008, 09:54 AM
I tumble all brass before it goes through my sizers, period, no matter what. :)

I run range brass over a nylon brush in a drill press before tumbling it to remove any dirt and other little beasties. Well pistol anyway. Rifle gets rinsed with a jet of water.

MMCSRET
December 27, 2008, 10:30 AM
I tumble before sizing. On rifle I tumble again to remove lube and on my Black powder cases I use a brush on the inside prior to setting primer.

jason01s
January 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
Use heated ultrasonic cleaner by Sharpertek and buy the R7-5 solution and or the 1220 solution. The r7-5 cleans the carbon and polishes the brass. The 1220 cleans the carbon and the cases but does not polish.

The Bushmaster
January 11, 2009, 10:33 PM
Once you seat the bullet nobody can see the inside. So why worry about the inside unless you have dirt, pebbles, spiders and grass in there...

qajaq59
January 12, 2009, 02:21 PM
Use carbide diesThey don't make carbide dies for bottle neck rifle cartridges.

crashcarruthers
January 12, 2009, 04:40 PM
They do make some bottle neck case dies, but you still have to lube the cases.

jcwit
January 12, 2009, 06:51 PM
You're right about the bottleneck cases. I was thinking of pistol brass.

Sorry

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!