safety use?

PDA

7Star
December 27, 2008, 01:52 AM
If the trigger is covered....why have the saftey on? All the posts about which guns are safe to carry which way always confused me. Admittingly, I really don't know. I don't like semis with out a safety but I have never carried one with the safety on and never really saw the benefit if the pistol is properly holstered. What do you think??

If you enjoyed reading about "safety use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bensdad
December 27, 2008, 01:58 AM
If the gun has a safety mechanism, use it. Ignore at your own peril. If it doesn't, there's a reason. That reason is usually a long, heavy trigger pull on DAO guns. There are also trigger safety and grip safety. Again, if your gun has one - use it when carrying. Cond. 0 on a SA is bad medicine.

7Star
December 27, 2008, 02:19 AM
Oh...I'll never use the saftey when carrying holstered. It doesn't make any logical sense to me. Saying if it has a safety mechanism you should use it..is just kind of silly. I mean my ccw has one of those internal locking things....but I'm not about to carry with that one on. hahaha!! I'll tell you...when my IWB holster covers both the trigger and the safety...it's just not realistically possible for the holstered pistol to accidently fire...and with the holster covering the safety too it is more than problematic for quick access shooting. I prefer semi autos with a safety...but only for practice and handling purposes.

TAB
December 27, 2008, 02:57 AM
lots of AD are cuased by holsters.
Lots of people shoot themselfs in the but while reholstering. all it takes is for a little bit of the holster to get stuck in the trigger guard, a little push and bang.

7Star
December 27, 2008, 03:27 AM
I can see there being a safety concern while reholstering. I definitely don't want an AD especially since I carry in the front. ouch But once holstered...there is no longer a saftey issue, correct? I have never even considered carrying with the safety on...to me...the holster is my safety. When its out....I should be firing. I don't have any real light triggers

TAB
December 27, 2008, 03:39 AM
all it takes is for the gun to ride up, something get in the trigger guard and you push on the gun to reseat it in the holster.

No way I would carry a pistol that did not have a safety on it. You can get away with it in revolers as you put your thumb on the hammer.

Treo
December 27, 2008, 01:02 PM
Never try to teach a pig to sing, you'll only waste your time and annoy the pig

rcmodel
December 27, 2008, 01:12 PM
For one thing, many SA manual safetys provide some measure of protection to the hammer & sear surfaces in the event of a hammer impact.

If the SA gun was designed with a manual safety, that is all the reason you need to use it, if you have a lick of common sense.

The exception is DA/SA guns. They are designed to be carried safety off and DA for the first shot.

rcmodel

gc70
December 27, 2008, 01:21 PM
If every gun owner practiced perfectly safe gun handling at all times, safties would not be needed. Safeties are extra insurance for the times that people inevitably get careless, or forgetful, or accidents happen. It's your butt - possibly literally - if your gun has a safety and you don't use it.

7Star
December 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
Well..yeah..I never carry SA. However, I never carry my DA/SA with the saftey on...and strangely enough...have never had an issue with it riding up in the holster. I've never had to push it back down....

I carry only DA/SA and now also that newer...what is it SA/DA. I just got the millenium pro, with the long consistant pull, that I rotate in sometimes. I've always also been of the opinion that these don't require a safety once holstered. ..and I like the quicker to action of it disengaged. If those little pocket pistols don't even need safetys....why would I?

Drail
December 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
Most pistols are safe when they're in a holster. They have to go in and come out of the holster and be loaded, unloaded and handled. That is when ADs and NDs happen. Guns get dropped. Some people frantically grab for it when this happens. (Ask Plaxico ) Your view of safety seems kind of limited to one single aspect of gunhandling. Having the hammer or sear locked is a good idea. If you think popping a safety off is going to slow you down all that much you should either get training or carry a revolver.

possum
December 28, 2008, 02:35 PM
of the guns that i carry, have for hd etc, none of them have an external safety they consist of an xd and a kahr k-40. If i was using a 1911 then i would use the saftey cocked and locked like you are supposed to.

if i was to carry a da/sa gun which i never would unless i was issued one of had too, i would carry if allowed locked and loaded with the hammer down and the safety off.

why would i do that? i have small hands, and most of the safeties on the da/sa guns are hard for me to reach and put in "fire".

Eric F
December 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
A holster should never be considered a gun safety for purposes of ignoring/substituting for a mechanical safety.

However a da/sa is a diffrent creature as rcmodel has stated.

7Star
December 28, 2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, that's how I like to carry it. Hammer down and safety off. I just couldn't figure out if there was some major safety difference between carrying the DA/SA like this and the DAO. Its seems similar to me...safety wise. I usually only take the safety off after 3/4 of the pistol has entered the holster. I just don't see how people can be ok with carrying a revolver or pocket pistol with out a safety and be soo against my method of carry....?

rcmodel
December 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
I think we got off onto SA pistols like the 1911 by the time the 2nd. post hit.

You didn't say it was a double action pistol in the OP.

rcmodel

7Star
December 28, 2008, 06:15 PM
I guess I didn't think to put it in there as I have never owned a SA. However, it does apear many people feel carrying the DA/SA with the thumb safety is still unsafe...

rcmodel
December 28, 2008, 06:25 PM
Early DA/SA designs like the Walther P-38 & PPK, S&W Model 39, and others did not have a positive firing-pin block or drop safety.

For utmost drop safety, they should be carried with the safety on.
Or else, just don't drop them on the hammer.

More modern designs like the later S&W 39/59 series, and all more modern DA pistols manufactured in the last 20 - 30 years, all have a very positive firing pin drop-safety, and are no more dangerous to carry hammer down/safety off then carrying a loaded revolver.

rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "safety use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!