Art of the rifle...

PDA

Afy
December 27, 2008, 06:28 AM
Is perhaps the most over rated, and uninformative book I have read on shooting. It doesnt even explain the basics of Sight alignment, NPOA, shouldering etc..
The only thing it does go into a little detail about is the various shooting positions and the use of the sling.

I am for throughly disappointed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Art of the rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgerunner665
December 27, 2008, 06:40 AM
Jim Carmichel's "The Book of the Rifle" is way better.

Its a more "technical" book...with good chapters on understanding ballistics, trajectory, sight alignment, rifling, sights in general...and much more.

Afy
December 28, 2008, 06:07 AM
I am going to try and my hands on this. :)

targshooter
December 28, 2008, 08:31 AM
As a youth I had two books about firearms written by Jack O'Connor; "The Rifle Book" and "The Shooting Book". The shooting book presented the fundamentals of shooting for rifle, shotgun and pistol.
Sad to say, I must agree on Cooper's "The Art of the Rifle"; which to me, seemed more like a trumpeting of skills and an indication that his firearms academy was the place to learn such.

Ridgerunner665
December 28, 2008, 08:42 AM
Afy,

http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Jim_Carmichel%27s_Book_of_the_Rifle-ISBN_9780943822556.html?isrc=b-search

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Carmichels-Book-Rifle-Carmichel/dp/0943822556

For a very brief moment, I thought about offering to sell you mine...but I can't do that because I have another son that needs to read it in a few years. Its a great training aid.

Ridgerunner665
December 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
A list of the chapters:

Those twisting grooves called rifling, Building today's sporting rifle, Today's rifles-how good?, Rifle stock-more than a handle, Custom rifle stock, Triggering a revolution, Rifle ammo(past & present), Understanding ballistics, Lessons in trajectory, Wind-the shooter's challenge, Bullet performance on game, Varmint rifles-the super accurate hunters, Rifles for Africa's dangerous game, All-purpose rifle-hits & myths, Rifle sight-past & present, Telescopic sight, How to sight-in a rifle & have in stay that way, Teaching yourself to be a crackshot, The accuracy game, Is handloading for you?, and The ageless .22 rimfire.

mongo4567
December 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
+1, I read the Art of the Rifle and was not impressed.

Art Eatman
December 28, 2008, 12:33 PM
Aw, shucks. At one time or another, here, I've told y'all all ya need to know.

Art

:D:D:D

James T Thomas
December 28, 2008, 02:20 PM
As with so many complex things in life; or perhaps all of them, they will come down to a few basic principles, a few fundamental moves, essentials,
a hand full of techniques, and all the ancillary, exotic stuff should not burden your mind. And will be all that you remember in a crisis anyway.

If you are looking for complexities, there will always be some one out there in the market who is searching for people like you to sell the newest and most comprehensive system known. With all the hype that accompanies it.

For example, how about all the claims made for the XXL-80021 knife blade stainless steel. Never heard of it? Just wait and it will come along.

How about the Argentine Navy Spec Ops Manta Ray combat techniques that can take on all of them and make you the last man standing?

Have you read the best seller Courage When You Need It.by Bert Lahr?
Lots and lots of good tips.

One of the things I watch for is age. There is nothing new under the sun; sorry Obama, and most of this recently discovered XXI century phenomenon
is simply a rehash.

"The thing that has been, is thatwhich shall be; and that which is done,
is thatwhich shall be done.

rust collector
December 28, 2008, 07:54 PM
So, the "Art" referred to in the title was really Art Eatman? Get out!

I did enjoy Carmichael's book, and of course ate up Jack O'Connor's books on shooting and rifles back in the day. I must second the motions previously made. Good stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Art of the rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!