Something strange with my scale...

PDA

Corner Pocket
December 27, 2008, 09:20 AM
I started reloading about a year ago, using one of those little cheap Lee scales. Soon after, I traded a couple pounds of powder for a like-new RCBS 5-0-5. I like it, have loaded several thousand rounds with it, and all has been well.

I noticed a couple of months ago that when I put the pan on the scale (with powder charge in it), the scale would hesitate a second or two or three before it began to move. This morning I loaded some rounds and it was more like 8 or 10 seconds before the scale moved. :eek: I've cleaned everything that looks like it might have a bearing on this issue, but I did not solve it. I've actually had to touch the end of the scale to make it move... :confused: I'm open to any ideas. Thanks!

Corner Pocket

If you enjoyed reading about "Something strange with my scale..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
243winxb
December 27, 2008, 09:56 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=411418&highlight=scale my 2 posts in this other thread has links that might help. Make sure there is no lube or oil on the knife edges. The surface the scale sits on should be level.

Walkalong
December 27, 2008, 10:59 AM
They are finicky little buggers, so like 243winxb said, clean, level, check zero often.

rcmodel
December 27, 2008, 12:09 PM
The most common problem is the knife-edge on the beam is rubbing on one side or the other of the jewel bearing block end-stops.

Might also check the aluminum paddle that rides between the magnets to make sure it didn't get bent & rubbing. Or one of the magnets sucked up a little steel do-dad and it got stuck in the slot.

rcmodel

davelee99
December 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
I had a similar problem with my 15 year old Dillon powder scale. I had to nudge the scale each time to make it start. Once nudged, it was perfectly accurate.

Dillon Customer Service recommended I clean the knife edges with alcohol and make sure there was no dust or grime. When that didn't work, I sent it in for repair and, today, got a new one back. Apparently, at some point, it makes better sense to replace...

GP100man
December 27, 2008, 09:54 PM
i`ve seen rust on the knife edges do what you describe , i cleaned with steel wool gentely!!

GP100man

Sunray
December 27, 2008, 10:56 PM
My loading bench gets a whack with a finger when my scale doesn't behave. Not that I'm blaming the bench. The balance arm is likely a wee bit off centre and the vibration of the whack sorts it out. Been known to lightly hone the 'knife' edges too.
There's a .pdf 5-0-5 manual available on RCBS' site. Powder for kit trades don't always come with the book. The twit who scanned it put the pages on sideways though.
http://www.rcbs.com/general/downloads.aspx

Corner Pocket
December 30, 2008, 07:39 AM
I really appreciate the replies. I'm not sure just why, but after moving the scale to a different location, the problem seems to have disappeared. I loaded some rounds yesterday and saw no such delays with the scale's action. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thanks again!

CP

GP100man
December 30, 2008, 10:47 PM
rcmodel probably hit it on the head, the scale was`nt level side to side & the knife bar was rubbing the housing.

GP100man

If you enjoyed reading about "Something strange with my scale..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!