New Gun Law Creates Carnage in Alaska

PDA

Keith
September 24, 2003, 02:06 PM
Well, that's the headline Micheal Moore would like to see!

I just thought some of you would like an update on the new "Vermont-style" carry law in Alaska.
After two weeks in effect; the news is... nothing. No shootings in the kindergartens. No drunks shooting each other in bars. No cops getting shot in traffic stops. No businesses banning guns on the premises. And (maybe because it's Alaska) nobody is writing to the newspapers or getting signatures on petitions to express their displeasure about the new law (or lack of law). Nobody cares.

This is the biggest non-issue since girls (OK, women...) started winning the Iditarod. Nobody cared about that, and nobody cares about concealed carry without a permit. Maybe this lack of interest is tied the newly legalized pot? Hhhhmmmm

Keith

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gun Law Creates Carnage in Alaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
September 24, 2003, 02:09 PM
Guess we need to first legalize pot in Ohio, then work on CCW.

Wildalaska
September 24, 2003, 02:15 PM
Funny thing is, in Anchorage, nobody seems to know what the law does...according to the Assembly Chair, the State Law trumps City Ordnance requiring a permit..according to the mayor, its the opposite...according to the cops...who knows, they havent received any directives....

Hopefully they will clear that up shortly.

WildskunkedatcaribouhuntAlaska

TallPine
September 24, 2003, 02:20 PM
Maybe this lack of interest is tied the newly legalized pot?

Wow ... like cool, man ... like .... what are we talking about ....?

Keith
September 24, 2003, 02:24 PM
The Alaska courts legalized marijuana possession about the same time the new carry law went into effect. You can now possess up to four ounces of the substance or grow 15 (or 25?) plants in your home.
Nobody here cares about that either, another non-issue with Alaskans.

Keith

Keith
September 24, 2003, 02:31 PM
Funny thing is, in Anchorage, nobody seems to know what the law does...according to the Assembly Chair, the State Law trumps City Ordnance requiring a permit..according to the mayor, its the opposite

Alaska Constitution - Article 1 - Section 19 - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Right to Keep and Bear Arms. A well- regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State OR A POLITICAL SUBDIVISION of the State.

Seems pretty clear to me...

Keith

TallPine
September 24, 2003, 02:40 PM
It was a joke, Keith

You know, like "pot" and "lack of interest" ... :D

See the connection ...?

Thumper
September 24, 2003, 02:43 PM
Wildwhere'sthatthreadAlaska

Didja change carry guns like you were going to in anticipation of the heavy violence?

:neener:

cracked butt
September 24, 2003, 02:46 PM
Sounds like Alaska is one of the last places left on earth that is populated by sensible, intelligent people.

Keith
September 24, 2003, 02:48 PM
It was a joke, Keith

Dude, I was so blasted I missed it! What did I miss anyway? Where did I put my Frito's?

Keith

Mike Irwin
September 24, 2003, 02:50 PM
I wonder what Susan Butcher carries...

Thumper
September 24, 2003, 02:54 PM
:D

Found it.

Here's a tidbit:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new law really chafes your control shorts doesn't it Wild?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope its just gonna backfire but hey dont say I didnt warn about it...

And I gots a permit anyway...and my posts lack hostility..

WildsawedoffAlaska

We'll see...

spacemanspiff
September 24, 2003, 02:57 PM
Sounds like Alaska is one of the last places left on earth that is populated by sensible, intelligent people.
well i wouldnt go THAT far, we still have our social problems and whatnot. those of us who dont use pot abuse alcohol like its the last we'll ever drink.

as a side note, (read: too lazy to resurrect an old thread so i'll just do it here) remember when i had those shots going over my head? well i stopped by the rental car place where i heard the bullets impacting, talked to Biffs son, he showed me where they found one of the bullets. taking that impact point and my position when the shots rang out, i am positive they came from the royal suite lodge there on minnesota blvd.

Cosmoline
September 24, 2003, 03:03 PM
The Royal Suites Lodge?! Wow, I had no idea. I wonder if Taliban holdouts are hunkered down in there. I would have guessed the Spenard Motel as a more likely location for a network of underground lairs, but what do I know.

Since most folks here have high-powered rifles and slug guns in their cars and trucks, the pea shooters people happen to carry on their person aren't such a big issue.

Keith
September 24, 2003, 03:07 PM
I wonder what Susan Butcher carries...

Sue Butcher would probably just beat an assailant to death! She's a big gal who enjoys having 15 or 20 beers with the guys.

Keith

Keith
September 24, 2003, 03:13 PM
If I wasn't above that sort of thing I'd have to throw an "I told you so" at Wild and Spiff. But being of a mild and somewhat spiritual bent, I'll refrain from saying "I told you so".
Maybe someone else will say "I told you so", but you won't hear "I told you so" from me... no sir, saying "I told you so" would be ungenerous to my fellow Alaskans.

Just remember that when it was my turn to gloat, I never rubbed it in with an "I told you so"!

Keith, who never said; "I told you so"

spacemanspiff
September 24, 2003, 03:28 PM
wow, takes you all of two weeks to declare yourself in the right? i was expecting this one day after the law went into effect.

cosmoline, the spenard motel is in the 'prostitution zone' only. royal suite is in the 'drug dealing' zone. ever stay at the royal suite? some of my relatives have. its like what 'girls gone wild' would be in alaska, except the girls are all fat. and ugly. and native. and therefore likely related to me in some way. god i hate that place.

Geech
September 24, 2003, 03:29 PM
This does seem a bit premature.

Obiwan
September 24, 2003, 03:38 PM
Why is it every state predicts mayhem even though it never happens?

Keith
September 24, 2003, 03:39 PM
Premature? Perhaps...

Tell you what, I'll come back in another 90 days and not say "I told you so" again!

Keith

DJJ
September 24, 2003, 03:47 PM
Sue Butcher would probably just beat an assailant to death! She's a big gal who enjoys having 15 or 20 beers with the guys.

Alaska! Where men are men, and so are the women! :evil:

spacemanspiff
September 24, 2003, 03:59 PM
except at the bush co! that PFD better hurry up and get here. i need to waste some money at the bush.

Keith
September 24, 2003, 04:00 PM
They really appreciate a big gal to share a quilt up there in the interior where it gets so damned cold.

Keith

Wildalaska
September 24, 2003, 04:20 PM
Tell you what, I'll come back in another 90 days and not say "I told you so" again!

Not so fast Keith, gotta let it first be publicized that there is in fact Vermont carry in Anchorage, that hasnt even been decided yet..

Recognizing of course the Alaska Constituion, I seriously doubt that the previous concealed carry law was ever viewed as uinscontitional. Knowing our esteemed assembly Chairperson as I do (I have one of his supressors here to be fitted to a 22), I think that if there was any question as to the constituitionality of the permit law he would have done something...after all he was the one who kept open carry OK in the city...

Spiff, ya know I live in Spenard...I can assure you that the skell percentage (at least near my house) is decreasing as I have declared war on them! :)

Now of course I stay away from the Royal Suites....:what:

And Thumper I still carry my 32....but the Defender is getting upgraded as we speak...

Wildcaribou1me0AlasKA

spacemanspiff
September 24, 2003, 04:29 PM
which end of spenard you on? we should combine forces. i'm off minnesota/spenard.

Keith
September 24, 2003, 04:35 PM
Not so fast Keith, gotta let it first be publicized that there is in fact Vermont carry in Anchorage, that hasnt even been decided yet..

I'll be there next weekend and make a point of leaving my CCW permit at home, and carrying my full sized Kimber in some way that "prints". It would make me very happy to have some cop hassle me about it, and lucrative as well...

The liberal turds in charge of Anchorage are always a problem. They can't seem to figure out that the city is in Alaska, instead of being a northern suburb of Portland.

Keith

olyAR73
September 24, 2003, 04:46 PM
It's business as usual here in the Interior...no mass shootings rampages...except caribou shootings are up right now!:D

Cosmoline
September 24, 2003, 04:56 PM
My lord! The caribou are packing now?! Things HAVE gone too far!

spacemanspiff
September 24, 2003, 05:54 PM
wouldnt that violate the terms on your CHL? to carry concealed without the permit?
the law that was passed didnt invalidate your CHL, or amend the wording on it. let us know how john law appreciates your antics.

Keith
September 24, 2003, 06:17 PM
wouldnt that violate the terms on your CHL? to carry concealed without the permit?

Nope. I no longer need to carry a permit to carry a gun. Even under the old law, I had merely to show my permit within seventy two hours if I didn't have it with me - just like a drivers license.

let us know how john law appreciates your antics.

I don't think John Law will pay any attention to my "antics". Most of them have probably heard about the new carry law...

Keith

Trisha
September 24, 2003, 06:58 PM
If my novel succeeds in the marketplace, I'm moving back home!

I'm getting too much input from the lower 48 that either implies or declares that I just don't belong down here!

Trisha

Keith
September 24, 2003, 07:04 PM
Where are you from, Trisha? And tell us about the novel!

Keith

Futo Inu
September 24, 2003, 07:15 PM
Cosmoline, where do you live? I tried to prod it out of you in a roundabout way in another thread, but you didn't notice..

Keith
September 24, 2003, 07:53 PM
Several other people answered for him in that thread. He lives in Mat-Su...

Hehe!

Keith

spacemanspiff
September 24, 2003, 08:06 PM
keith, i just called the Concealed Handgun Licensing office....you may want to rethink carrying without your permit. they still seem to think that APD will pin a weapons charge on you because you are still bound by the wording on your license, that you will display your CHL to a LEO immediately.

they acknowledged that outside the municipality of anchorage the law is different. the lady i talked to said that now LEO's have to treat every traffic stop as if the person is carrying concealed. when they encounter a person with a CHL, they know it as soon as they run the license plates through. she said the officers knew once they saw that come up on their screen that the person is generally okay, having passed state and federal checks. but now when they encounter someone carrying concealed without the CHL they will have to put forth more effort to determine if that person is indeed eligible to carry concealed when they encounter them in traffic stops or domestic situations.

i went back and re-read the dialogue we had back when this first came up, going back to the end of May. i still stand by my statements. there will be idiots who dont know the muzzle end from the breech that will carry. i dont think the streets will run with blood, but there will be some unfortunate accidents.

i wish you good luck on your trip up here.

Keith
September 24, 2003, 09:01 PM
I'll still inform a policeman that I'm carrying a concealed weapon if contacted, whether I have a permit or not. That's just courtesy.

It would make for an interesting court case for an Anchorage cop to make the argument that a permit LIMITS the right to carry a concealed weapon!

Keith

Cosmoline
September 24, 2003, 09:09 PM
I live in South Central AK. Specifically, I live all across SC AK. Once the Cosmoline Compound is done I'll be out in Willow.

My commute is currently almost two hours EACH WAY. But the view is nice. Suffice it to say, I pretty much live in my car.

Standing Wolf
September 24, 2003, 10:48 PM
Definitely a catchy headline, although it's, uh... not quite consistent with the content of the story.

hutch24
September 25, 2003, 01:14 AM
spacemanspiff except at the bush co! that PFD better hurry up and get here. i need to waste some money at the bush.

Alaska THR meet and greet at the Bush Co. :cool:

olyAR73 It's business as usual here in the Interior...no mass shootings rampages...except caribou shootings are up right now!

No mass shootings here on the peninsula either. :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gun Law Creates Carnage in Alaska" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!