Marlin 57 "Levermatic" ??

PDA

Shawnee
December 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
Does anyone remember the Marlin 57 "Levermatic" .22 rifle - circa 1960s ?

It was a tube-magazine lever-action with a sleek receiver.

Was it tapped for over-the-bore scope mounts ? Did it function well or was it a klunker ?

I seem to remember it was heavier than most .22s of the day. ???

Anyone ?

:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 57 "Levermatic" ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rangerruck
December 28, 2008, 12:38 AM
go over to rimfirecentral.com for better answers.
the model you are talking about is fabulous, the origional 57 was made 1 year only , 56; that is , the model you are talking about
it was made of solid steel, everything. all the action parts, the reciever, everything. it was such a strong action, it was also made in 22 mag, 356 winchester, and also 22 hornet I believe. it is drilled and tapped. Now then, after this, they made more but they were aluminum type recievers. with maybe some aluminum/plastic parts in the receiver parts, still a good rifle nevertheless.
you can tell the diff if you see both, because the all steel model's receiver is square on the back of both sides of the receiver. the aluminum type is sloped in the back, like all current semi auto models of marlin 22's.
if you can find a good shape one, for under 300 bucks, and it is complete, it would be worth getting.

rangerruck
December 28, 2008, 12:41 AM
I forgot the most important part; the levermatic itself. the double cam action inside not only made for a super short throw of the lever, about 2-3 inches, but becuase of the cams, only the first part of the movement took any muscle, the rest of the movement came, becuase the cams speed up, as the throw action is completed. So you can use your pinky and ring finger only, with just those two fingers inside the loop, to easily cycle the action. If you can imagine, just flicking those two fingers up and down, real quick, that is how easy it is to cycle.

Jubjub
December 28, 2008, 05:49 AM
I had a 57M, the .22 WMR version. Great rifle, very fast to operate. As has been mentioned, no need to take hand off grip, just open and close fingers to cycle. Mine was good for accuracy, not great. Maybe 1.5" at 100, though it only had a 4X scope, so it probably could do better.

Mine mostly got used as a squirrel gun, loaded with .22 WRF. That is just an outstanding small game load. 45 grain bullet with a little flat on the nose, great punch without tearing up the carcass.

targshooter
December 28, 2008, 08:24 AM
As a youth in rural NJ I knew two boys with these Marlin rifles. The neighbor behind my house had Marlin 56 Levermatic and a Model 62 Levermatic. Both had removable box magazines, were all steel and both were heavy, the .22 rimfire 56 quite so relative to other 22 rifles in use by us kids. A trip to the local gunstore revealed that both were fairly expensive at the time. The Model 62 was in .256 Winchester, a centerfire caliber that was going to be used for woodchucks and PA deer by the lad. It was a failure as a varmint gun, being not as accurate as the Mossberg bolt I used at the time. The lad did use ot for deer, having the luck to harvest at least one with it as I remember. He liked the rifle because it had no recoil to speak of. Another friend purchased a Model 57M, it had an aluminum receiver and a tubular magazine if memory serves me correctly. It was not as heavy as the 56, but it was not light like my Remington Model 76.

Shawnee
December 28, 2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks a bunch, Gentlemen! :)

:cool:

SwampWolf
December 28, 2008, 05:27 PM
Some more information and clarifications: The Model 56 was introduced in 1955 and was discontinued in 1964. It was chambered only in .22RF, had a 7-shot "clip"magazine and a 22" barrel; the Model 57 was introduced in 1959 and lasted until 1965. It was also only chambered in .22RF and had a 22" barrel but had a tube type magazine; the Model 57M was introduced in 1959 and was discontinued in 1969. It was chambered in .22 Magnum, fed with a tube style magazine and wore a 24" barrel. Finally, the Model 62 was introduced in 1963 and was discontinued in 1969. In addition to the aforementioned .256 (not .356!) Winchester, it was chambered in .22 Jet and .30 cal. Carbine. To my knowledge, this model was not chambered in.22 Magnum and none of the models under discussion were ever chambered in .22 Hornet. The Model 62 was fed with a 4-shot "clip" and had a 24" barrel.

Shawnee
December 28, 2008, 05:57 PM
WOW !

THANKS SwampWolf !

:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 57 "Levermatic" ??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!