Would You Shoot WOLF Or SILVER BEAR Ammo In An AR 15 Or Mini 14?

PDA

rugerman07
December 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
I'm hearing that the zinc coated SILVER BEAR AMMO (Which Is A Wolf Brand) is actually your best choice for cheap ammo for the AR 15 and Mini 14. I haven't tried either. Can I get some replies/help here? Will either brand damage an AR 15 or Mini 14?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would You Shoot WOLF Or SILVER BEAR Ammo In An AR 15 Or Mini 14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
goldie
December 27, 2008, 08:46 PM
ive shot silver bear in my ar with no problems at all,i use it for 25 yard indoor shooting.not bad at all,i have about 1000 rounds of it just for indoor shooting.ive used it since its been out,just clean the gun good after use.ive used regular wolf but i dont like it as much,seems dirtier,& has a funny smell.mayber its cheap powder they use....

Redneck with a 40
December 27, 2008, 08:47 PM
I'd shoot it in a Mini-14.

WardenWolf
December 27, 2008, 08:53 PM
Nasty powder. I'd think an AR would choke on it. Had a real fun time cleaning my Romak-3 after shooting the 7.62x54R stuff. It just didn't want to stop coming out.

FlyinBryan
December 27, 2008, 08:55 PM
i reload and wouldnt shoot it in anything.

i wouldnt shoot it before i started reloading either though.

i just dont like it.

HankC
December 27, 2008, 09:10 PM
My ARs have chromed chambers and I shoot Wolf with no problem. If you have a non-chromed or match chamber, you may not want to do it.

Nhsport
December 27, 2008, 09:21 PM
After shooting any non-brass ammo in a 223/5.56 you will want to clean the chamber before swapping back to the brass cassed stuff.
Some of the wolf or other russian ammo (being lowered powered) will have function issues in certain guns but will not hurt the gun itself beyond running dirty

ace00496
December 27, 2008, 09:25 PM
Silver Bear is not a Wolf brand. Wolf is made in Russia at the Tula Arms Factory. The three Bears, Silver, Brown, Golden and Monarch brand sold at Acadamy Sports are all made by Barnaul in Russia. In my opinion Barnaul ammo is superior to Wolf. It is cleaner and more accurate. That said they are all dirty compared to American ammo.

Floppy_D
December 27, 2008, 09:25 PM
Sure, as long as it feeds fine... just clean up afterwards. I've been razzed for shooting Wolf before... but if it's not a bench gun, and it lets you shoot more often, have at it.

ace00496
December 27, 2008, 09:27 PM
http://green-guns.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1189253823

rklessdriver
December 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
I have recently run 1000 rounds of it throu (3) CMMG/DMPS AR/M-4's carbines. They all ran 100% throu the entire case, No FTF, FTE ect. They are all NON-crome lined 1/9 twist regular old C/M barrels too...

Yes it is dirty. But it's cheap and it goes bang. All (3) of my CMMG/DPMS' carbines went right around 2-3"@100yrds (5 shot groups) with a hot barrel, off a rest, with iron sights - using the $239.00 per 1000rnds Silver Bear 62gr JHP.

I also have a Model 1 Sales 16" L/W CAR15A2 I built about 8-10yrs ago on a Bushmaster loweer that has digested thousands of Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear and Barnhaul steel cased .223 ammo with no real problems other than the chamber getting gummed up a bit from the laquer cased Wolf when it first came out... Never a problem at all from the newer poly coated Wolf.

Some have had extractors break from the steel cases and I think its very plausilable as it's one of the many a weak spots in the AR platform. However if you clean your AR everytime you fire it... you'll remove the bolt and dissassemble it to clean and inspect the extractor... I'm lucky as in the time I've been shooting mine I've not had one break.

Keeping an AR clean is the key to reliable function. Always has been and always will be. The Marine Corps drummed that into my head. It takes a bit of extra time to clean one properly after shooting Wolf or the like, but for the cost it's good plinking/training ammo and I shoot as much as I can afford.
Will

ace00496
December 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
Edit

MachIVshooter
December 27, 2008, 09:32 PM
I run Barnaul in my AR-10, no problems.

I have a spare extractor on hand for both the 10 and the 15, since that is the only part likely to suffer from using steel cased ammo. I can buy a lot of extractors with the money saved over brass cased surplus.

atlanticfire
December 27, 2008, 09:37 PM
Had a super hot wolf 223 round in my AR! The steel case expanded in my rilfe and and would not extract. It had to be removed with a brass rod and a hammer. But have never has this issue with the Brown or Silver bear.

rugerman07
December 27, 2008, 09:49 PM
Yes it is dirty. But it's cheap and it goes bang. All (3) of my CMMG/DPMS' carbines went right around 2-3"@100yrds (5 shot groups) with a hot barrel, off a rest, with iron sights - using the $239.00 per 1000rnds Silver Bear 62gr JHP. The best I've found on SILVER BEAR is $239.00 for 700 rounds. Wish I lived in your neck of the woods. I bought (2) 20 round boxes for $6.19 each to check them out.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

rklessdriver
December 27, 2008, 10:06 PM
rugerman-
JG Sales has it for $239.00 per 1K (+shipping).

Will

TexasRifleman
December 27, 2008, 10:08 PM
I guess my Wolf must be defective. It has never caused a problem in any of my ARs or my Mini14.

R.W.Dale
December 27, 2008, 10:13 PM
I shoot the crap out of Wolf and Monarch (barnaul) 7.62x39mm through my ar15

I even get pretty darn good accuracy from the stuff, 2 to 3 inch 5 shot 100yd groups with sights

Ky Larry
December 27, 2008, 10:16 PM
I shoot Commie ammo in my Commie guns (AK's, CZs etc) and brass ammo in my other guns. I don't own any AR-type rifles so I can't really say about them.

dispatch55126
December 27, 2008, 10:16 PM
JG Sales has it for $239.00 per 1K (+shipping).

Thats better that AIM Surplus for $199 per 700, though the 700 is in a spam can which may make up for the $0.05 difference/round.

blkbrd666
December 27, 2008, 10:30 PM
Well, hopefully, you're going to clean your AR after you shoot it whether you you shoot handloads or Wolf...so, the degree of dirty shouldn't be an issue. Therefore, why not use it? I shoot Wolf in a Colt Match AR and it works fine...I don't really care how much black crud runs out when I am cleaning it...I throw the cleaning towels away when I am done anyway. To me, worrying about whether it is dirty or not is like worring about whether or not the bullet you put through a burglar's head was bright and shiny or tarnished. Blazer Brass isn't as shiny as Atlanta Arms or Winchester white box, but my .45 never complains.

notorious
December 27, 2008, 10:32 PM
I shoot Wolf out of all my guns, AR, Mini-30, Glock, LCP, 1911, even my SSG without problems. Just clean it.

Onmilo
December 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
I shoot Silver Bear as practice ammo with no problems.
Brass case Privi Patisan is even better.

Flash!
December 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
I like all of the bears....brown bear, silver bear, and golden bear....

no problems with any of them....

notorious
December 27, 2008, 10:52 PM
How about sugar bear? I've always like Dig'em smacks better than sugar bear but the puffs porcupine cereal ain't too bad either.

newdude
December 27, 2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, they fire well in my AR. No problems at all.

Deer Hunter
December 27, 2008, 11:04 PM
That's all I feed my AR.

natescout
December 27, 2008, 11:05 PM
Wolf, thats all i feed my ar

possum
December 27, 2008, 11:34 PM
i have shot lots of wolf in my ar, this one and the one that i owned before.

DarkCharisma
December 27, 2008, 11:51 PM
I've heard nasties about the lacquer coated Wolf, however the Zinc should be fine as there's no buildup as with the lacquer.

coyotehitman
December 27, 2008, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't shoot either. My worst experience was with Silver Bear handgun ammo--grossly out of spec and locked my gun up like a bank vault.

mgregg85
December 28, 2008, 12:25 AM
I shoot wolf quite a bit in my mini-14, its dirty but it works.

rangerruck
December 28, 2008, 12:26 AM
silver bear, no prob. not wolf or brown bear.

SHvar
December 28, 2008, 01:16 AM
I use brown bear, silver bear and have been impressed with it. Its clean, it is loaded hot, and makes big muzzle flashes. Its alot cleaner than most of the brass rounds Ive ever tried. Havent tried wolf yet, sometime I will.
I have heard only a few problems with wolf, and they seem to be second or third hand information passed on, or issues with weapon maintance.

anymanusa
December 28, 2008, 05:55 AM
it is the best and thats what I like to shoot. Zinc means no laquer or poly coating to clog the chamber and cause stickers (fte) and it's cheap.

I've heard nasties about the lacquer coated Wolf, however the Zinc should be fine as there's no buildup as with the lacquer. those stories are true.

notorious
December 28, 2008, 05:58 AM
The 308 was very clean as far as the powder and copper but the primer flaked off a lot of red specks into my magazine and action which necessitated a more detailed cleaning than I usually do with my mags.

R00KIE
December 28, 2008, 01:46 PM
I have shot thousands and thousands and thousands of Wolf out of my beautiful Colt AR-15, never a problem with either one. It had no problems with being dirty or "choking" ha ha ha what a riot.

People "think" things and they don't "know" things.

I did have one Wolf misfire out of a bushmaster Ar-15 one time. . . one out of about 3000 rounds . . . . huh huh must be a bushmaster thing. LOL

Wolf shoots fine, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You will find these guys saying oh wolf has laquer and it gets hot and glues up the barrel. . . that happened two times about ten years ago. (same guys who say a 45 has "knock down power" another whole debate)
Wolf has upped their quality control and they make a very decent product now.

If you have any belief in something other than what I just posted, please buy up all the Pricey ammo to plink with ha ha.

I have only shot about 400-500 rounds of silver bear, it all went bang and my Colt didn't "choke on it either ha ha ha"

My humble two cents worth.

EDIT to add: Ha ha ha I looked over this thread to find the laquer thing again . . . . look and you'll see people saying "don't shoot it, because I HEARD . . blah blah and then people saying shoot it, I DO. . . . your answer is self evident.

notorious
December 28, 2008, 01:51 PM
The only trouble I have had with wolf is in the handgun calibers. The 45ACP and 380ACP both were jam-o-matics with guns that were reliable otherwise.

jerkface11
December 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
My AR ate hundreds of rounds of Silver Bear without cleaning. No jams and it isn't very dirty.

dispatch55126
December 28, 2008, 03:08 PM
Basically, if your AR doesn't work with Wolf or Bear you either:

1. Have a match chamber and shouldn't be using cheap ammo anyways, or
2. You have a problem with your rifle.

All rifles will have problems with all types of ammo every once in awhile. However, if you are having constant problems with Wolf or Bear, see the aforementioned scenarios.

notorious
December 28, 2008, 05:38 PM
I used Wolf 308 in my SSG and it should be pretty much a match chamber... no? It had no problems with feeding or extraction, but yeah, it's a bolt but still, it functioned flawlessly and was pretty accurate for cheap ammo too.

lazyeye
December 28, 2008, 06:01 PM
Works just fine in my Olympic Arms AR-15. I've never observed any kind of malfunction or extra fouling using it.

Samuraigg
December 28, 2008, 06:13 PM
Shot about 400 or so rounds of Wolf in my CMMG AR that I got this past summer. Zero failures but it definitely adds to the cleaning time.

lipadj46
December 28, 2008, 10:39 PM
I was one of those people who used to say never. With the price of ammo though I am thinking about buying a 1000 rd case of silver bear .308 and save my brass ammo.

jpwilly
December 28, 2008, 11:12 PM
The Silver Bear, Wolf etc have all treated me well. Dirty and not as accurate but great stuff to feed AK's, SKS's and AR's for fast shooting drills etc. Also, I reload and still enjoy being able to to the range and not pick up brass.

Deepskyy
December 28, 2008, 11:29 PM
yes... because in 5.45 its a PITA to get anything other than Wolf.

notorious
December 28, 2008, 11:39 PM
It's also hard to get anything cheap to plink and waste other than Wolf.

piratelooking@40
December 29, 2008, 12:03 AM
Yes. All the time.

rangerruck
December 29, 2008, 01:05 AM
here is the deal, the brown bear, and the wolf, are steel cased and lacquered. the silver bear is zinc coated, and the other stuff you can get is usually brass case.
It is completely up to you, if want to run steel cases, with melty lacquer on
them, through your ar. Instead of zinc coated, or nice soft , brass.

RockyMtnTactical
December 29, 2008, 02:01 AM
Silver Bear is much better than Wolf.

pgeleven
December 29, 2008, 03:36 AM
ive ran both through my Colt, only difference was a little extra cleaning afterwards. you should be fine.

yongxingfreesty
December 29, 2008, 04:08 AM
works in everything Ive owned, mini14, 6920, slr106fr no problems.

went to a machine gun shoot today and one of the owners were okay with steel case. lots of cool guys out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJnP1BBs3o

Shooter88
December 29, 2008, 06:31 AM
The lacquer on the Wolf cases DOES NOT MELT. You can take an oxyacetylene torch to the cases and get them red hot, and the coating will not melt. Your firearm's chamber doesn't get anywhere near that hot.

What happens with steel-case ammo of any flavor is this: upon firing, since steel is harder than brass, the cases don't expand to seal the chamber like brass cases do, and firing residue builds up inside the chamber, eventually getting to the point where there's so much carbon buildup the cases start sticking in the chamber. The zinc-plated or brass-plated steel cased stuff, or even the Hornady TAP practice ammo, will do the same thing.

If you're having trouble with steel-cased ammo, you're probably not cleaning the chamber regularly. It should be SOP to clean the chamber every time you clean the firearm.

FMJMIKE
December 29, 2008, 07:44 PM
I have shot Wolf and Barnaul steel case ammo in my Mini-14 without any problems. I would stick to American brass cased ammo in an AR-15 though. The Russian ammo is very dirty.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would You Shoot WOLF Or SILVER BEAR Ammo In An AR 15 Or Mini 14?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!