How many states allow ammo to be re-sold?

PDA

Ignition Override
December 28, 2008, 03:12 AM
My confusion concerns retail stores.
After having seen numerous Internet complaints about it, and having bought some old, stained .223 tracer rounds in a retail store, one of which was a live round (stuck in my Mini 14's chamber), this came to mind.

There seem to have been many split cases from old surplus (7.62x54R etc) ammo which was bought in either pawn shops, or gun stores.
Have seen many loose rounds in TN retail and boxes of odd brand Carbine ammo in a MS pawn shop.

But staffers claim that they are not allowed to buy untouched ammo which has been kept in the original boxes, bought at Bass Pro etc.:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "How many states allow ammo to be re-sold?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
December 28, 2008, 03:33 AM
I think it's more of a liability issue: a good reload can be indistinguishable from the real thing, and they don't want the possibility of reselling someone's reloads. Stores around here have a no-return policy on ammo, and you have to take it up with the manufacturer if you have a problem.

moosehunt
December 28, 2008, 04:09 AM
I can't speak for the whole country, but I've never heard of any law preventing reselling ammo. It may not be wise from a liabiliity standpoint, but illegal? Never heard that.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many states allow ammo to be re-sold?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!