Northern Virginia/Maryland shoot for October 11!

PDA

Mike Irwin
September 24, 2003, 04:14 PM
Have an out-of-towner bringing the family in, so let's show them a good time!

I'm figuring shotgunning at Bull Run followed by handgunning at the NRA Range. In other words, a full day of fun with guns!

That, followed by dinner someplace.

Who's in? Come on, folks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Northern Virginia/Maryland shoot for October 11!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chaim
September 24, 2003, 04:53 PM
If your guests will be around on Sun too, I might be up for some shooting (though I'll probably meet you at the NRA range as I don't currently have a shotgun and probably won't by mid October). I had recently opened a thread to check for interest in a late Oct/early Nov shoot in MD. I'll post your thread and see if people might want to merge the shoot for a DC area shoot, or if they'd still want a seperate MD shoot.

DorGunR
September 24, 2003, 05:00 PM
Mike count me in as a strong "maybe"......or to put a number on this I'm about 85% sure I can make it.;)

PS. Will that be Trap, Skeet or Sporting clays???????

Mike Irwin
September 24, 2003, 05:21 PM
Chaim,

Shotgun not needed, Dude!

You can rent one at the range, or I'm sure that someone in the THR group will have an extra one.

I normally rent, but I just may go out and see what I can find used...

Dor,

NO MAYBES! Be there or drop and give me 50, Maggot! (I love Mail Call. Does it show? :) )

The Shooting Center offers traditional trap and skeet, a walk-through sporting clays course, wobble trap, and 5 stand.

REALLY nice facility.

MagKnightX
September 24, 2003, 05:38 PM
I would love to, but probably can't. :(

I'll see what I can do, though, but since I'm still a minor, my dad'll have to want to do it too, and he'll likely be busy. Curse you, federal law!!!

chaim
September 24, 2003, 06:20 PM
OK Mike, rental is a possibility. What are the chances that you can do this Sunday instead of/in addition to Saturday? Hmm, can I interest you in two days straight of shooting so I can join you guys on Sunday? You know you want to.:D

David Park
September 24, 2003, 10:09 PM
Maybe... it depends what else I have going on.

RobG
September 24, 2003, 10:52 PM
Would be good for the soul. Shotgun and pistol on the 11th (I have a party to attend that evening) and rifle another day. I have an SKS that I haven't shot, yet. I'm serious about selling my 2340, so if anyone wants to check it out, let me know. Might see if my father-in-law is free, he's picking up clays as well as I.

Mal H
September 24, 2003, 10:56 PM
That sounds like a great plan, Mike. Unfortunately I'm going to be in West, By God, Virginia checking out the Greenbrier River that whole weekend.

22x9
September 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
I'm out. I'll be using my once-a-month "gotta head to the range" pass this weekend.

Would like to meet ya'll tho.

Mike Irwin
September 25, 2003, 02:04 AM
Chaim,

The liklihood is not good. Kirk is going to be coming up on Saturday, and has expressed his desire to shoot on that day. I know it's a religious issue for you from sundown to sundown.

I'll broach the issue with Kirk, though.

Doggonit, Mal! The river will be there some other weekend! Kirk won't! :)

chaim
September 25, 2003, 02:57 AM
Mike, if it is any kind of bother don't try to change things for me (adding a day, if people would like more shooting on the other hand...). What I think might work is that Sat have the N. VA shoot, shotguns and pistols. Then the next have the first MD rifle shoot and the next weekend those of us who are going to the S. PA shoot can go there. That would equal one heck of a good month for shooting. Might be a little much, but I think it would be fun. That way, there is no excuse for N. VA, central MD, and S. PA THRers to not make at least one.:D

KMKeller
September 25, 2003, 08:18 AM
Mike,

I'll be up there Sunday as well, but will be heading over to Winchester to spend the day with Tempest and crew. Squeezing in a rifle shoot is tight for me, but don't let that stop you. I planned on bringing my bushmaster, but I can shoot it on the 50 yard NRA range.

Let me check with Tempest and see what plans are for Sunday. Perhaps we can, at the least, swing by for a meet and greet (and dump a mag or two through the bushy).

Chaim, how early do you plan on doing the rifle shoot and how far is the range from Winchester, VA? My Sunday plans revolve around lunch and lounging with Tempest and her family.

Kirk

tankertom
September 25, 2003, 08:21 AM
Mike,

I will try to make it. The rental shotgun idea sounds good since I don't think this is an application for the Mossberg 590.

TT

Mike Irwin
September 25, 2003, 12:31 PM
TankerTom,

Well, depending on which game we shoot, the 590 may or may not do well.

I shot several rounds of wobble trap a few months ago with my S&W 3000 police gun.

Two rounds, 25 birds each round, 22s both rounds.

DorGunR
September 25, 2003, 12:46 PM
Mike posted:
I shot several rounds of wobble trap a few months ago with my S&W 3000 police gun.

Two rounds, 25 birds each round, 22s both rounds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dang, Mike.......I don't know what wobble trap is so I've never shot it.
But I'll be using O/U shotguns......one is a Nikko Golden Eagle and the other is a BC Mirouku Diamond Grade. Will these work for these new fangled shooting games.:)

Mike Irwin
September 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
"will these work..."

Only if you're blindfolded!

Last time out I rented a Browning O/U and got a 24/25 on one round.

chaim
September 26, 2003, 01:02 AM
Chaim, how early do you plan on doing the rifle shoot and how far is the range from Winchester, VA? My Sunday plans revolve around lunch and lounging with Tempest and her family. It is looking like the MD shoot is probably going to be the weekend after Mike's shoot. Not sure the time or the range yet (see MD shoot thread). If enough people going to Mike's shoot want to go the next day too I'd be happy to find my way to the NRA range for the first time to do some shooting that Sunday as well. Sorry that I wasn't completely clear in my post.

RobG
September 28, 2003, 12:12 AM
I've got my father-in-law on board for shotgunning, where (including directions) and what time should we show up. Mike, what's allowed on the NRA Range?

Mike Irwin
September 28, 2003, 12:24 AM
Solomon,

Fantastic!

Here's the website for the Bull Run Shooting Center. It's kind of hard to describe how to get there...

http://www.nvrpa.org/shootingcenter.html

We've not set a time yet, but it will probably be late morning or early afternoon.

I need to talk to Kirk and see what time he wants to go. He's the out of town talent who's coming in. :)

Also, the NRA range allows pretty much any handgun and rifle up to .50 BMG.

Shotguns with slugs only, though.

KMKeller
September 28, 2003, 10:55 AM
Mike, you folks work out when you want to go and I'll make sure we're there on time... so long as it's not 6 am. It's a 3.5 - 4.5 hour drive from down here depending on traffic and highway construction.

Sounds like we're getting some momentum up here! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

MagKnightX
September 28, 2003, 11:22 AM
Mike, (and others so you don't bring anything too powerful), the NRA range allows all handgun calibers, and all rifle calibers UP TO .460 Weatherby Magnum. That doesn't mean no .50 Beowulf, that means nothing actually more powerful. But you are correct about the slugs-only-in-shotguns rule. Oh, and no full-auto or burst allowed. Nor bayonets. EBRs are fine, though.

RobG
September 28, 2003, 06:21 PM
Question: EBRs? Also, no bayonets (assuming EBRs means something else)? Does this mean I'll have to leave my Yugo SKS with eevil grenade launcher and eevil bayonet at home (man, am I really offensive, or what - haha)?

BTW - thanks for the link.

Mike Irwin
September 28, 2003, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure what EBR is either. The only thing I can come up with is European Battle Rifle, or some other variant...

SKS' with bayonets are fine. I think the prohibition is against having the bayonet extended, or on something like an SMLE, having it attached.

RobG
September 28, 2003, 09:13 PM
Excellent, "Eastern Bloc Rifle?" Good, because I had to back out of the rifle shoot scheduled for the following weekend and I've been itching to ring out my SKS.

mtnbkr
September 28, 2003, 09:15 PM
EBR=Evil Black Rifle maybe?

Chris

MagKnightX
September 28, 2003, 09:40 PM
Yes, EBR=eeeevil black rifle, like AR15, AK-47, SKS, CETME, FAL, AUG. And Bayonets ARE okay on a weapon where they are by manufacture attached, PROVIDED that they are folded.

RobG
September 30, 2003, 07:01 PM
Bwuhahahahahahahahahaha

Sheslinger
October 1, 2003, 10:26 PM
Can you tell us exactly where it will be? Depending on how long of a drive it is for us, we might make a road trip out of it. Hey, the way it's going we might be on extended vacation anyway - read "severance".

Sheslinger

Sheslinger
October 1, 2003, 10:27 PM
Never mind - is NRA range in Manassas?

mtnbkr
October 1, 2003, 11:05 PM
No, the NRA HQ range is in Fairfax at the NRA Headquarters building, within sight of I66.

Chris

Mike Irwin
October 2, 2003, 01:39 AM
You figured out whether you're going to be there yet or not, Chris?

MJRW
October 2, 2003, 01:43 AM
I can pencil it in this time. No trips to toys r us this time for me. Might bring the dogs and the woman to Bull Run.

mtnbkr
October 2, 2003, 10:24 AM
You figured out whether you're going to be there yet or not, Chris?

You talking to me? You talking to me?

ahem.

If you are talking to me, I won't be able to make it. I'll be in NC the entire weekend. If I get my Star BM in time (that just sounds bad), I might pop off a few rounds in you guys' honor. :D

Chris

XLMiguel
October 2, 2003, 10:55 AM
Dang, can't make it. Was holding out to see what 'She who must be obeyed' had on the burner, looks like we're going to try and salvage what's left of sailing season. Best regards, M2

Mike Irwin
October 2, 2003, 12:57 PM
OK, since Kirk is coming up from the Carolinas, how about we say Noon to 12:30 for the commencement of the shotgunning phase, a light lunch at the restaurant of our choice after that, followed by handgunning at the NRA range?

Anyone? Comments?

Kirk? Since you're the out-of-town talent?

MJRW
October 2, 2003, 01:03 PM
Mike,

May I recommend doing this via e-mail? Just easier to add someone to a group rather than hope they caught the last message as it is pushed down the page by the latest 9mm vs .45 (9mm btw) thread. 12:30 sounds good to me. It will be difficult getting that many people shooting at that time on a Saturday in October. We may wish to break into wobble, sport, trap, and skeet groups rather than everyone trying to shoot one type. Once again, there is Cracker Barrel around there and an IHOP like one exit past the 66 exit for NRA. NRA is exit 50, I think Nutley Street is next and like 1 mile from that is the IHOP so we do not have to worry about everyone shedding arms.

Mike Irwin
October 2, 2003, 02:43 PM
Jamie,

Yep, I live just off of Nutley Street, less than 1/2 mile from the StyeSlop House of Spamcakes...

Gee, can you tell that I don't really like that place?

As for shedding guns...

What? Who in our group carries a gun? (innocent expression...)

MagKnightX
October 2, 2003, 04:45 PM
At this time, I can not confirm whether or not I can come. I will try to confirm by the end of tomorrow.

How much does the Bull Run range cost to join, or is there a cost?

MJRW
October 2, 2003, 05:56 PM
Nothing to join. Pay for the round (I think like $5). You can also get ammo there and rent shotguns for the day (like $6-8 depending).

KMKeller
October 3, 2003, 11:31 PM
That time frame sounds great to me Mike. We may be able to move it up an hour if needed.

Mike Irwin
October 4, 2003, 01:40 AM
Nah, we'll leave it around 12 to 12:30, Kirk.

That will give you a little "pad" time on 95, also known as the Highway to Hell.

PM me with the route you normally take, and I may be able to get you off of 95 a little sooner to avoid some of the crap.

RobG
October 5, 2003, 06:25 PM
Got a question for everyone. Do ya'll want to stick to handgunning after shotgunning, or do ya'll mind if rifles just happen to show up? It's really okay if it's just kept to handguns, but I wanted to be clear.

Mike Irwin
October 5, 2003, 06:44 PM
Solomon,

Oh hell no, bring rifles!

DragonRider
October 5, 2003, 07:05 PM
GOODIE, RIFLESSSSS........

John

MagKnightX
October 5, 2003, 10:13 PM
Okay, IF I can make it (and that's a big if, unfortunately) I'll try to bring the P99 and let people go through a few rounds with it. And IF I can get some ammo for it by then, I'll also try to bring the Mosin 91/30 and let people put a few rounds through that. Sound good?

And by the way, is the shotgun range open during rain? And in case it does rain, would you want to call it off anyway? I'm sure, though, that rain does not put a damper on the NRA range.

KMKeller
October 5, 2003, 10:19 PM
Oooooooo. Sounds like I'm bringing the Bushy with me!

Mike Irwin
October 6, 2003, 03:15 AM
What, too much of a weenie to shoot in the rain?

Haven't you ever hunted ducks before, son? :D

Depends on the amount of rain. A drizzle, we shoot. A hard driving rain, we head for the NRA range and hope it lets up so that we can get back to Bull Run.

KMKeller
October 6, 2003, 12:04 PM
Rain isn't going to bother me. Remind me to tell you the story about the time Fed168 and I practiced in the rain.

Mike Irwin
October 6, 2003, 12:08 PM
I don't want to shoot in much more of a drizzle simply due to the fact that my glasses get wet and I can't see what I'm shooting at.

RobG
October 6, 2003, 10:11 PM
Excellent (drumming fingers furiously), smithers. Almost everything has fallen into place for the proper weekend; mind you, all the essentials are there...

Penguin81
October 7, 2003, 12:14 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've been watching this shoot develop for a while now, and I was wondering if I may join you on Saturday. Thanks.

- Philip

Mike Irwin
October 7, 2003, 12:51 PM
Penguin,

Of course you may! The more the merrier! That's what these shoots are about -- getting TFL members out to the range to meet each other.

If we didn't want you -- or anyone else -- to join us, we'd have put this together through e-mail and private messages.

Later today I'm going to do the PM route with directions and times. --Mike

RobG
October 8, 2003, 09:14 PM
Sporting clays was covered, I think, but what about the NRA range? Obviously bringing targets, but will we also need to bring target stands or cardboard backing? Anything I missed?

Mike Irwin
October 9, 2003, 01:57 AM
Ah. Sorry, Solomon.

NRA Range fee is $12.50 per hour. If the range isn't busy, they normally don't care if you go over. If it is busy, they roust you fairly precisely.

They have a wide variety of targets for sale at the range.

Backers suitable for use with the overhead target trolly system are provided.

David Park
October 11, 2003, 12:51 AM
OK, guys, I'm in for tomorrow. See you at Bull Run. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Northern Virginia/Maryland shoot for October 11!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!