Holdster or Wallet Holster for my P3AT?

PDA

Boba Fett
December 28, 2008, 05:54 PM
Nope, that's not a misspelling.

The Holdster (http://artofthehide.com/index.html) is nearly identical to the Wallet Holster made by ConcealCity.com (https://www.pagerpal.com/wallet.asp). More pics for the Wallet Holster. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00132C3I6/ref=dp_otherviews_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=1)

So my question is this: Is one better than the other?

They're both about the same cost and they both look like I might be able to get an Armalaser in there with it.

And in the course of my research, I came across the Pocket Slipper (http://www.smartcarry.com/ps.htm) and Pocket Slipper Laser. (http://www.smartcarry.com/lasers.htm)

Without a laser, it costs $20 more than the other wallet holsters. With the laser it is about $122.

Which is better?

Opinions, experience with, etc. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holdster or Wallet Holster for my P3AT?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 28, 2008, 06:02 PM
The Holdster makes the gun about twice as big & bulky as it needs to be. It would stick out of most jeans hip pockets, not to mention being the size of a brick.

Seems to me the thin edge of the hard leather would really give your trigger finger a beating from recoil too.

I use a thin leather pocket holster, and it hardly adds anything excess to the gun.

rcmodel

orchidhunter
December 28, 2008, 06:09 PM
That wallet holster might need a permit. When I hear wallet holster I think about the ATF, don't no why. orchidhunter

orchidhunter
December 28, 2008, 06:25 PM
If that is a shoot-thru holster and you combine a gun with it, it has to be registered and a $200.00 tax paid. orchidhunter

The Lone Haranguer
December 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
I don't think the Holdster would be an AOW. It is not a shoot-through and does not substantially alter the appearance of the gun, whereas true shoot-through wallet holsters totally covered the gun and disguised its appearance. That said, I too fail to see what this device would accomplish that an ordinary pocket holster would not.

zxcvbob
December 28, 2008, 06:44 PM
I just got a P3AT a few days ago. I haven't tried carrying it yet because I don't have a permit (maybe I should try it around the house) so this may be a stupid question. Can't you just carry it in a pocket without a holster? It seems *made* for pocket carry, with its long trigger pull and shrouded hammer that only half-cocks.

BlacklabelOP
December 28, 2008, 06:46 PM
I carry my LCP in my pocket even while at home... Sans holster, but do have a nice pocket holster for out on the town

orchidhunter
December 28, 2008, 06:59 PM
The Lone Haranguer, I did not check the links in his post, and like you I don't think it is AOW. orchidhunter

tblt
December 28, 2008, 07:01 PM
It will print without a holster

gpr
December 28, 2008, 07:05 PM
carring in the open pocket is a AD ready to happen...holsters such as desentis nemisis keep your gun at a proper angle to grab it fast, and protect the trigger...it also keeps the print broken up...gpr

The Lone Haranguer
December 28, 2008, 07:11 PM
A pocket holster would have the additional benefits of covering the trigger and keeping lint out of the slide or hammer.

EmGeeGeorge
December 28, 2008, 07:16 PM
i had a "holdster" for my p32 a whileback... worked great carried one in the pipe, no AD's... shot better too with it (no misfeeds after I put it on), suprisingly... not bulky at all... if you get one you'll like it...

mgregg85
December 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'd stay far away from anything referred to as a wallet holster unless you wanna pay the $200 tax. I don't think the gimmick is worth it when you can just use a regular old pocket holster.

Boba Fett
December 28, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'd stay far away from anything referred to as a wallet holster unless you wanna pay the $200 tax. I don't think the gimmick is worth it when you can just use a regular old pocket holster.

The wallet holsters I've linked to do not fall under the BATF issue (http://artofthehide.com/History-ATF_Classification.html).

The other pocket holsters I've seen so far make it difficult for me to dig into my pocket and get the gun. They are too bulky in my back pocket and cause the top of the gun to show enough that I would likely get in trouble.

I tried the same holster in my front pocket and had difficulty drawing it. Plus I ended up drawing the entire holster a couple of times. And that was with a holster that was "supposed" to stay in your pocket because of the little rubberized beads on the outside.

Maybe I just need different jeans. Should I switch from my 32-32 Relaxed Fit Levis? Hope not...they're my favs :p

My interest in the wallet holsters is two fold:
1) they cut down on the extra bulk of a normal pocket holster.
2) they are the best I've seen at eliminating print while still leaving the pistol totally accessible.

As for AD, I'm not really worried about that. The trigger is protected by the trigger guard and the wallet holster will keep the gun upright/at an angle where I won't shoot myself with it as I go into my pocket for it. Plus I'm not planning on carrying anything else in that pocket.

As for the lint, I'm not sure how a pocket holster is going to keep it out of the hammer. It might keep it from the slide, I'll give you that, but I'm not planning on carrying it for long periods between range time and subsequent cleanings. So any lint buildup, which I doubt there will be any, will be cleaned out about every week or two.

*EDIT* I should probably add that this pistol is for when I can't carry my normal CCW (i.e. when I have to wear tucked in shirts). It's also for those rare times I don't want to carry my normal CCW and just want to throw something in my pocket for a "just in case" carry.

brett30030
December 28, 2008, 08:43 PM
You need to go to ktog.org. You are heading down the wrong path when you start to mention pocket slipper.

Boba Fett
December 28, 2008, 09:06 PM
You need to go to ktog.org. You are heading down the wrong path when you start to mention pocket slipper.

Alright, please expand on this.

I have visited ktog.org and bookmarked it...found it when I first started looking at the P-3AT, though I haven't read a whole lot on the site yet.

So where on ktog.org should I look concerning the pocket slipper?

Why is that the wrong path?

Need better explanation!

Thanks ^_^

PX15
December 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
JMOfartO:

The absolute best way I've ever found to carry a small pistol concealed on a daily basis, regardless of the weather or my wardrobe is in a rear pocket (wallet type) holster..

I'm not talking the "wallet holster" that conceals the pistol inside and you shoot thru a hole in holster (which I believe is illegal), but standard type holster that goes in the back pocket, and you can reach between the back "anti-print" flap and the holster itself and withdraw the firearm.

Works fine, conceals perfectly, and works for me.:)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8016.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8017-1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8023-2.jpg

zxcvbob
December 29, 2008, 10:34 AM
PX15, what brand is that holster? It looks much better made than any I've seen pictures of online.

PX15
December 29, 2008, 11:19 AM
zxcvbob:

The holster shown in the first post was made by R.J. Hedley.. R.J. is considered by most of the folks on the www.seecamp.forum as the "guru" of pocket holsters, and is a forum member. He is semi-retired and honestly there is a standing line for his fine products..

It's possible to contact him and get in line, but in my experience expect a long wait.. Well worth the money, but hard to come by.

Luckily there are several other forum members who also are expert holstermakers (robtmedco, Jim Powell, and several more who's names eludes me at the moment.). You can go to the Seecamp forum, go to the "holster" section and one of those folks will be happy to fix you up pretty quickly, and the price is fair, the product guaranteed, and you'll wind up with a high quality holster at a reasonable price.

Just post an interest on that section, and I'm sure someone will be happy to make you a holster you can be proud of.

Additionally, www.Pocketholsters.com @ 1-800-424-9352 also makes what I personally consider a very good holster, and as you can see from the photo below it's very similar to the holster made by R.J.

I actually bought the "Pocketholster" to tide me over until R.J. could craft his magic for me, and it did a fine job. If you are in a hurry this might be the easiest way to get a good holster quickly..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_0115.jpg

Those of us who possess Hedley's are holster snobs and we think R.J.'s are as good as a holster comes, but those other folks at the forum make top quality stuff too...

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Claude Clay
December 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
been carring the holdster since it very 1st was available for both 32 & 380.
in tight jeans it prints the same as a wallet in front or back pockets. anything less than skin tight and it dissapears.

it is legal in CT without any taxes as the slide [action] is visible. thats why i got the all black gun & holdster so it would be visible :rolleyes:

the holdster reduces the recoil to bearly noticabe and their is no hurt on any part of my hand. my daughter says it is softer on her hand than the bursar though she groups better with the bigger gun :uhoh:
for me the holdster doubles my accuracy--2" slow fire at 21 feet; 4" rapid fire.

Boba Fett
December 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not talking the "wallet holster" that conceals the pistol inside and you shoot thru a hole in holster (which I believe is illegal)

Neither the Holdster or the Wallet Holster are that sort, according to the information on Holdster's site which I linked to.

MostlyHarmless
December 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
I myself would not pocket carry a P3AT without the trigger area completely covered.

http://www.stellarrigs.com/Stellar_Pocketholsters.html
Galco
Mika
Side Guard Holsters

There are others.

rcmodel
December 30, 2008, 12:21 PM
A pocket holster:
*Keeps dirt out of the gun.
*Keeps sweat off of the gun.
*Protects the gun if you drop it.
*Covers the trigger and makes an ND impossible.

*But most importantly, it keeps the gun in the exact same position standing upright all the time, so you don't have to fumble around with it when you need it right now,
in the Very Worst Way!

rcmodel

Tirod
December 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
Again, the ingenuity of man in getting around the law is amazing. "Outlaw" switchblades, we get Assisted Opening, thumbstuds, discs, holes, and waves.

Make the original wallet holster a $200 taxable item, well, just trim it down until the BATF says it no longer applies.

The real decision is whether you actually need the feature. I have grown quite fond of pocket clipped knives with oval hole thumb opening. I use them many times a day.

A CCW holster with opening for the trigger finger, not so much. I'd rather get it out of the holster completely to align with my other gun draw habits, not accomodate a unique grip and force additional practice.

If someone could patiently explain the major increase in efficiency during draw and use, maybe I would understand, but until then I'm setting it in the category with CCW badges and backup guns for my backup gun.

Still, I kinda like the idea, but that's the inner child speaking, I think. :evil:

1KPerDay
December 30, 2008, 12:50 PM
Do the holsters with the anti-print flap on one side still release the pistol on the draw? My main issue is the holster coming out of my pocket with the gun. About 50% of the time my desantis nemesis comes out with my j-frame. I've ordered a mika for that one but I need something for my new LCP.

zxcvbob
December 30, 2008, 12:50 PM
For $11, the belt/pocket clip that Kel-Tec sells looks interesting. But I'd like to see one in person. (also, the sharp checkering on the grip seems like it would be uncomfortable IWB)

Boba Fett
December 30, 2008, 05:20 PM
Do the holsters with the anti-print flap on one side still release the pistol on the draw? My main issue is the holster coming out of my pocket with the gun.

This was my issue as well.

For $11, the belt/pocket clip that Kel-Tec sells looks interesting.

And were I carrying it with my shirt untucked, I think I might go for that too.

If someone could patiently explain the major increase in efficiency during draw and use, maybe I would understand, but until then I'm setting it in the category with CCW badges and backup guns for my backup gun.

The main reasons I like the Holdster is because it completely eliminates any print AND I don't have to worry about getting it out of the holster. It is just all one piece.

A pocket holster:
*Keeps dirt out of the gun.
*Keeps sweat off of the gun.
*Protects the gun if you drop it.
*Covers the trigger and makes an ND impossible.

But most importantly, it keeps the gun in the exact same position standing upright all the time, so you don't have to fumble around with it when you need it right now,

I would agree with you if someone were to say, carry it in their pocket with nothing else...just plain gun rolling around in the pockets.

However, the Holdster will act like my wallet in my front pocket: it stays upright, orientated the same way all day until I take it out.

As for your other points:
*I'm not sure how a regular holster is going to prevent dirt from getting in/on your gun in your pocket. If you're getting that much stuff in your pockets, I don't think anything short of sealing your gun in a plastic baggie will help you. I can see that it might help keep lint off/out of the gun. However, I don't know about the rest of you all, but my pockets don't have a lot of lint in them. And I plan on shooting the gun a few times a month and cleaning it each time, so any lint will be done away with every two weeks at most.
*Not really a problem since I don't really sweat much and almost never sweat in my pockets.
*What are you doing dropping your gun!? Just kidding. I have never dropped any of my guns...ever. And I plan not to.
*For carrying the P-3AT in my pocket in a Holdster, I'm not really worried about pulling the trigger by accident. I'll practice with it until I am comfortable. If I feel like there is any reasonable chance it could go off, I'll switch methods.

Ultimately, my goals in order of importance are:
1) Eliminate Print in my front pocket
2) Keep upright orientation
3) Easy draw/don't bring the holster or my pocket with the gun.
4) Increase ease of firing

The Holdster seems like it fits, according to those who've use it, with all of these.

After going to the range with the P-3AT today, I have to say I like it, it is more accurate at 7' IMO than the old Bersa 380 I had (but maybe I was just not as good a shot then ;)), but it is like shooting with coarse sandpaper in your hands ~_~

I'm really looking forward to trying it with the Holdster.

1KPerDay
December 30, 2008, 07:17 PM
How's the recoil compared to the bersa?

Boba Fett
December 31, 2008, 12:19 AM
How's the recoil compared to the bersa?

Well...that's a whole other matter. Because it is so small, it is kind of hard to judge. From what I remember of the Bersa, the recoil wasn't all that bad on it.

Now it isn't that the recoil of the P-3AT is "bad" as it is painful...primarily because of the size and grip (the etching really rubs your palm..but at least it doesn't fly out of my hand either). After shooting 100 rounds through it today, the "webbed" area between my thumb and hand is missing a bit of skin from the wear/rubbing of the small beaver tail area, and the inside of my palm feels like I rubbed coarse sandpaper on it.

But this isn't supposed to be a fun range pistol either. And I don't plan on putting 100 rounds through it every time I go to the range. This 100 rounds was just to break it in as the manual says to do.

I'd say the recoil caused about a 2-3 inch rise of my hand, if that. The recoil itself wasn't bad at all. It felt very controllable for such a small pistol.

Like I said, it seems like the P-3AT is very accurate, but I'm sure if I tried the Bersa again I'd be even more accurate simply because there is more gun and better sights and I've had a lot more experience since I owned that Bersa. But then the P-3AT and Bersa 380 are really in two different categories IMO: pocket carry and non-pocket carry.

And just an added range report on the P-3AT, I put 100 rounds through it today with no FTF or jams or any issues whatsoever. The only problem I had was my fault when I limp wristed the second shot with it. I compensated and it didn't happen again.

tlen
December 31, 2008, 12:40 AM
I just use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, size #1 , and have modified it to carry a spare magazine. http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/unclemikes.htm

Boba Fett
January 1, 2009, 03:59 PM
Got my Holdster in!

Is nice:cool:

Haven't shot with it yet, but I have to say, it completely eliminates any possible print, it makes it very easy to carry in my front pocket or back pocket and draw, it maintains perfect orientation, and it even helps prevent the magazine from accidentally being dropped.

Even though I haven't shot it yet, I can already tell it will be a lot nicer on the hands.

I've also painted my sights with some acrylic model paint...much much nicer than the practically nonexistent black on black invisible sights that come on the P-3AT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Holdster or Wallet Holster for my P3AT?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!