Private Ammunition Transfers in NC

PDA

dbarile
December 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
I ask this question because after searching here and the web, I am still uncertain what the answer is.

If I and some other private individual want to exchange ammo. Is it legal? The particular scenario I'm thinking of is if party A decides they no longer wish to shoot 9mm and decides to trade it to party B for .380 ammo, are they breaking any laws?

For this question I am talking about residents of NC, not cross state line transfers.

I confess I can find not law specifically covering this scenario. I know you can by ammo online and have it shipped to your house in NC, but nothing about private sales or transfers.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Private Ammunition Transfers in NC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
December 28, 2008, 10:34 PM
Perfectly legal.

nalioth
December 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
Why must there be a law for everything?

kingpin008
December 28, 2008, 10:37 PM
There mustn't be. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing to ask in case there is.

dbarile
December 28, 2008, 10:39 PM
Why must there be a law for everything?

I agree. I'm operating under the idea that just because I can't find the law doesn't mean it doesn't exists. Sometimes it's best to ask first.

Other times it's best to apologize afterward.:)

mattdus
December 29, 2008, 12:34 AM
I dont know of any state that treats ammo as a restricted item

Grassman
December 29, 2008, 08:52 AM
I checked this one out also, it's illegal to fart on a calm day........they have laws for everything:neener:

possum
December 29, 2008, 10:01 AM
you will be good to go

expvideo
December 29, 2008, 10:07 AM
There is a law for everything. In WA state, you can purchase a license plate that shows a military branch and has your license number all on a US flag background. You purchase this from the state, and it is produced by the state. Displaying a flag with any writing over it is a Gross Misdemeanor (up to 1 year in jail) in WA state.

That means that you could be arrested for puting that license plate on your car. Pretty funny, IMO.

misANTHrope
December 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm not attempting to say anything about the OP in particular in this case, but I do have to say that questions like this are what concern me about our country. That is, when considering undertaking some action, the initial thought is "Hmm, I'd better check first and make sure this isn't illegal."

To me, that's a sad commentary. At some subconscious level, he assumption is that anything having to do with guns is probably regulated, until shown otherwise. Which in turn springs from our citizens having a backwards view of lawmaking in this country.

How many times have you heard someone say that a new law was passed allowing such-and-such? Laws aren't supposed to allow us to do things, they're supposed to restrict us in select circumstances.

*sigh*

I digress, but my point is that it sure would be nice if we could all assume that something as innocuous as selling some ammo to a friend was perfectly legal. But it's not just a failure of attitude- given the complexity and obscure nature of our laws, it's probably a rational fear that some random action might be illegal.

</rant>

treeman
December 29, 2008, 10:33 AM
I feel the same way. I've owned a handgun for many years now but I have recently decided to add some more firearms to my collection...I feel like I am walking on eggshells (hence all my questions on this board)...there are soo many things we CAN'T do, that it's hard to keep up...definitely feels more like a privilege than a RIGHT :banghead:

"I'm not attempting to say anything about the OP in particular in this case, but I do have to say that questions like this are what concern me about our country. That is, when considering undertaking some action, the initial thought is "Hmm, I'd better check first and make sure this isn't illegal."

To me, that's a sad commentary. At some subconscious level, he assumption is that anything having to do with guns is probably regulated, until shown otherwise. Which in turn springs from our citizens having a backwards view of lawmaking in this country.

How many times have you heard someone say that a new law was passed allowing such-and-such? Laws aren't supposed to allow us to do things, they're supposed to restrict us in select circumstances.

*sigh*

I digress, but my point is that it sure would be nice if we could all assume that something as innocuous as selling some ammo to a friend was perfectly legal. But it's not just a failure of attitude- given the complexity and obscure nature of our laws, it's probably a rational fear that some random action might be illegal.

</rant>"

If you enjoyed reading about "Private Ammunition Transfers in NC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!