best 22 lr ammo

PDA

rimshot25tn
December 28, 2008, 10:31 PM
in your oppion what is the best 22 lr ammo to target shoot with, not comp. but just backyard with the guys so price would be considereda small issue

If you enjoyed reading about "best 22 lr ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bluetopper
December 28, 2008, 10:54 PM
I like Federal Auto Match..........but for plinking, anything but Remington.

hadmanysons
December 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
I personally buy the 550 value box of federal from Wally Wart and it does me just fine. And for a swaying price of 9 to 15 bucks its pretty good stuff. I get 1" groups at 50 yards and only had 1 mis-fire in oh....say.... 6 box's so far. In 3300 rounds, that's pretty good for the price.

22-rimfire
December 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
Wolf Match Target would be my choice without testing.

For general shooting, I would go with CCI mini-mags, CCI standard velocity LR's; or Federal Champion 510's sold in 50 ct boxes at Walmart.

Be aware, that 22's tend to have a preference for certain ammunition, but Wolf Match Target does tend to shoot better than most. It is not high level competition ammo. It would be best to buy Eley for that.

rimshot25tn
December 28, 2008, 11:10 PM
has anyone used agulia rounds the guy at the local shop said they shot fair didnt catch the price

22-rimfire
December 28, 2008, 11:15 PM
You shopping in Benton? They always seem to carry Agulia. I believe Big Daddy's does also.

They shoot okay. You need to test them with your firearm.

FlyinBryan
December 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
i also like the federal auto-match as far as best combination of quality and value.

in my customized 10/22 i like federal champion. it has a gm .920 target barrel and 1 hole groups are the norm. not as good with more expensive ammo like win super x.

in my browning pistol super x plated round nose does very well, and i was also very impressed with winchester wildcats.

for 325 to 500 count purchases i like federal auto match and winchester wildcats.

100 count purchases i like winchester super x.

i have not been able to get anything from cci to shoot well in my guns.

i will not buy bulk remington .22 ammo, its the worst in my guns.

SLCscottie
December 28, 2008, 11:51 PM
'Be aware, that 22's tend to have a preference for certain ammunition,'

Good information 22-Rim Thanks

Wildfire
December 29, 2008, 12:00 AM
Hey There:
While it would be very nice to just be able to say one brand over another , that is not very practicle.
I have never found a gun of any kind that shoots all ammo types well.
My Ruger 77VBZ will shoot Green tag sub sonics extremely well and will not shoot most of the others even on the good side.
The green tags in my gun produce 1/4" groups at 50 yards and 1" at 100 yards. They may not in your gun.
You will not get a good answer to this question other then [Keep trying] .
You will find one that shoots well .
Good Luck.

Wildfire
December 29, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hey There:
While it would be very nice to just be able to say one brand over another , that is not very practicle.
I have never found a gun of any kind that shoots all ammo types well.
My Ruger 77VBZ will shoot Green tag sub sonics extremely well and will not shoot most of the others even on the good side.
The green tags in my gun produce 1/4" groups at 50 yards and 1" at 100 yards. They may not in your gun.
You will find one that shoots well .
Good Luck.

FlyinBryan
December 29, 2008, 01:07 AM

ya, thats really true.

i dont really have a favorite 22 ammo.

what my target 22 likes, my others dont.

what my browning pistol likes, my rifles dont.

what my sporter auto likes, my others dont.

my .22s seem to be more ammo sensitive from gun to gun than my centerfires.

thankfully .22 ammo is cheap and can be experimented with, without breaking the bank.

mauiglide
December 29, 2008, 03:48 AM
I started shooting .22lr a few months ago after I got my Advantage Arms conversion kit for my Glock 19. I've been using CCI Mini Mags with this conversion kit and I've been getting okay results. Finally decided to get a dedicated .22lr pistol and settled on the Ruger Mark III Hunter. This pistol eats practically anything even the Winchester bulk pack HP but it likes CCI the best. Bought some Winchester HV ammo on sale the other week. I'm hoping it is not too hot to shoot through the Ruger. I'll see how it goes next open day at the range.

Regular Joe
December 29, 2008, 05:50 AM
Even as finicky as it is, the Rem. Golden bullets are the ones I shoot most. All 3 of my 10/.22's like them fine, and so far, they're the most accurate ammo I've tried. Better than automatch, altho automatch functions much better.
The Rem. ammo doesn't jam, but there are occasional duds, and no squibs.
Blazer jams in both of my CRR's, and when it jams with my Butler Creek bbl, there is always a spent case sitting sideways in the breech.
I figure that it's actually a good thing to deal with jams in casual shooting, because you get proficient at identifying what's wrong, and clearing it quickly.
I've tried Aguila Super-max. Very reliable and uniform, but not very accurate. Velocitors function perfectly, and accuracy ain't bad, but I don't like the price.
Testing different ammo comes to be part of the fun of shooting the .22's.
Don't worry too much about your Ruger handling ammo like the Winchester and Yellow jacket. They're actually not much hotter than regular HV. Take care with ammo that really is hotter, like Stingers, Velocitors, Super max, and the new 1,470 f/s 40 gr. load from Aguila.
If you have to keep your pistol around for defense, keep it loaded with the most reliable ammo, vs. the most powerful, as there isn't much real difference between them in terminal performance.
See for yourself:
http://www.brassfetcher.com/22LR.html

KBintheSLC
December 29, 2008, 02:14 PM
has anyone used agulia rounds the guy at the local shop said they shot fair didnt catch the price

I have tried the 60g Aguila Sub-Sonic Snipers and they worked well in my Ruger MKIII/Sig 226 Conversion/10-22.
You cant go wrong with CCI MiniMags/Velocitors/Stingers. I also have had good results with Blazer Brass 40g 525 round bulk packs as well as Winchester 333 round bulk packs of 36g High Velo HP.

rimshot25tn
December 29, 2008, 04:27 PM
thaks for the help i like the cci 36g i tried several today the others shot well also except for the winchesters they were bulk ammo but they really did suck about 3 of any20 i shot souded like a 22 mag or a 22 short and about 2 of every 20 or so would not shoot didnt matter how many times i turned it around and also to 22 rimfire ?i was at big daddys in al.

Hostile Amish
December 29, 2008, 04:36 PM
Winchester Power Points are very good, so are Federal bulk .22's. For the best in accuracy, pick CCI Subsonic or Lapua Subsonic, however.

Marlin 45 carbine
December 29, 2008, 04:43 PM
I haven't had any luck with Remington or PMC. most everything else does from OK to excellent.

gotime242
December 29, 2008, 04:44 PM
I love cci minimags for plinking.

Wolf Target for 100 yards.

Average Joe
December 29, 2008, 08:39 PM
I use the Federal bulk packs, they are good for backyard shooting.

XTerminator
December 29, 2008, 10:20 PM
Whatever happened to PMC .22 ammo?
I used to really like their Target, Zapper, and Sidewinder. The price was usually pretty good, too.

Steve

JImbothefiveth
December 29, 2008, 10:27 PM
I use the federal bulk pack, I believe they are called "champions". $15.00 for 525 rounds, and they are copper plated, so I get less lead on my hands.

However, i usually shoot standing, so they may not be accurate enough for sitting, or using a rest.

mljdeckard
December 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
My .22s are an old Nylon-66 knockoff, and a 1911 conversion kit. I use Stingers and Velocitors almost exclusively, because neither of them really cycle reliably with much else.

I should take that back. The .22 kit cycles much better with say, wildcats than it did when it did when it was new. I plan on building a dedicated 1911 frame for it with lighter springs, and I'll bet it will be much more forgiving.

jhansman
December 29, 2008, 10:50 PM
My current favorite for bulk is Fed. Auto Match (AM22), but for target matches I use SK Match.

Redneck with a 40
December 29, 2008, 10:56 PM
Federal bulk from Wally World shoots great in my Ruger 22/45.:)

gglass
December 29, 2008, 11:31 PM
Federal 550 count... Thank you Sam Walton.

22-rimfire
December 29, 2008, 11:37 PM
You will notice that the responses basically talk about general accuracy and function of the pistol or rifle. None really address precision shooting other than in a general sense.

It boils down to choosing ammunition that shoots good-better-best in your gun and you won't really know that until you buy an assortment of 22LR ammunition and shoot.

I pretty much fall back on my original post as far as "good" accuracy, and typically "better" accuracy with the Wolf Match Target ammo. Many don't see much difference in accuracy with Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra which is more expensive. The high priced stuff will likely shoot more consistantly. It depends on your firearm, on you the shooter, environmental conditions, and the ammo.

You can buy the target grade ammo over in LaVergne TN at Shooters Supply as well as buying mail order from Midway and so forth.

Whatever happened to PMC .22 ammo?

PMC went defunct in the US. They sold their factory here. They are again loading ammo in Korea, but no 22 ammo. Aquila loaded the PMC 22 ammo for US distribution. Some of the PMC 22 ammo shot real good. Scoremaster was probably the best.

dbarile
December 30, 2008, 12:22 AM
I'll add my name to the bunch that says you'll have to try a few out.

I'm in the middle of finding which ones cycle best in my Ruger Mark III

Federal Champions seem to work best now

Winchester X and Thunderbolts seem to have more feed problems.

The nice thing is that the single shot rifle finishes up all the ammo the pistol doesn't like.

LAK
December 30, 2008, 06:26 AM
Whatever shoots most accurately with consistancy in your gun.

----------------------------

http://gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

basicblur
December 30, 2008, 08:51 AM
This pops up a lot, but I'd never seen a poll so I posted one. Poll results show what I'd already gathered by reading numerous threads, but I wanted some numbers to back up what I thought I knew/read.

I was curious, because I bought a Mosquito and P22-my poll was basically aimed at bulk ammo, as I assume Mini-Mags are going to be more reliable. SIG recommends 'em for break-in with the Mosquito and tossed a $10 coupon in the box for Mini-Mag purchase.

AFA accuracy, you might glean some results from the comments, but every gun seems to like something different.
I was concentraing more on function in autoloaders with bulk ammo.
http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=401071

kiawahman
December 30, 2008, 07:38 PM
Remington Golden Bullets in .22lr hp are the worst ammo I've ever wasted my money on, and I see I'm not alone in that opinion.

There were so many underpowered and dud rounds that it totally took the fun out of shooting this afternoon. We struggled through about 150 rounds out of a box of 550 and threw the rest away. This was NOT the fault of our firearms.

Go Federal.

Go Winchester.

Anything but Remington.

Furncliff
December 30, 2008, 09:04 PM
If you find no need to undertake a test of dif. ammo's to see which your guns like best, then some good choices for regular stuff are:

Federal something... lots of choices here, 550 - match auto - Champion
CCI (made by Federal)
American Eagle (made by Federal).

BP44
December 30, 2008, 09:08 PM
All of my plinkers love cci minimags:)

Dwight45
December 31, 2008, 12:09 AM
You have to experiment to see what works best in your particular guns.

shotgunjoel
December 31, 2008, 12:18 AM
I really like Remington Thunderbolts in my Savage Mk II BTVS and my grandpa's J.C. Higgins 31. I've gotten 5 shot groups well under a dime out of the Savage.

Regular Joe
December 31, 2008, 12:56 AM
So today, I tried 3 different types of .22 ammo again.
Federal automatch in the bull barrel 10/.22 is the new accuracy king, and no problems of any kind. It's just a little hard to find in Las Vegas.
Winchester 333 hits just a little left of that zero, but it isn't noticeable within 50 yds. or so. With my scoped CRR, it would jam every 20 rnds. or so. The other CRR doesn't mind it. The 333 is quite a lot less accurate than the Rem. golden bullet for me. Down range results are similar though, because there is some powder charge variation in the Rem. stuff. I fired about 280 rnds. of the 333, and it remained "close enough" to be fun until I ran out of it. I won't be buying any more.
The Rem. golden bullet in the Walmart 550 pack still wins overall for me. Of the 250 or so rounds I fired today, there were no misfires. Otherwise, even with the variable charges, it's still the most consistent performer in all of my 10/.22's.
There are some types of .22 ammo that I will not buy:
Winchester bulk.
Federal Champion bulk.
CCI blazers.
Aguila super max.
That list could go on, but it's due in part to having found 3 types that work well for the shooting I do.
The Rem. golden bullets are my big stock.
Federal automatch is great when I need an accurate round nose.
CCI Velocitors are good if I want to squeeze the last bit of power from a 10/.22.
All 3 hit to very close to the same zero for me. Having found that, now I need to find some other "secondary hobby" within my normal shooting!

fireman 9731
December 31, 2008, 12:59 AM
hmmmmm....

I have to say that im a fan of the remington golden bullet... It seems like a good all around ammo for my 22s.... readily available and fairly cheap... good for plinking.

my 10-22 really doesnt like Federal...

but I will agree that CCI is pretty good... a little pricy but very high quality... lots of options... Their Hydra-shock or vital-shock(I cant remember exactly) fragmenting hollowpoints really do a great job on small critters. and their subsonic ammo is pretty good.

My Henry will shoot anything you put in it... the Federal and American Eagle seem a little dirty though.... I dunno... as far as plinking goes I really dont care...

I have chroned Remington, Federal, Winchester and CCI... everything but the CCI will vary in velocity form 1200-800 FPS... CCI is very consistent though.

If price wasn't a factor and CCI came in bulk packs, I would grab the CCI every time.

adam h
December 31, 2008, 01:15 AM
I have a Henry US survival rifle, Henry's version of the AR-7 - the one that breaks down and stores in it's stock and floats. Anyway, it jammed every few rounds so I tried a bunch of different ammo. Surprisingly the Remington Thunderbolt was the most reliable in that gun. Since I started shooting the thunderbolts, I've never had another jam (probably 100 or so rounds). I also have a 10/22 and it has never ever jammed no matter what I run through it.

Rimmer
December 31, 2008, 09:18 AM
rimshot25tn
best 22 lr ammo

in your oppion what is the best 22 lr ammo to target shoot with, not comp. but just backyard with the guys so price would be considereda small issue

As mentioned, buy a few box's of everything you can find and shoot them. Clean your barrel after each box to give the next test brand a fair chance.
Keep the target at 50yds and your barrel will tell you which one it favors.

Just an FYI, I always test ammo from a bench off of sandbags. If it's factory ammo, regardless of 22 or centerfire. It's the right thing to do. :D

hksw
December 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
As noted by others, it'll depend on your specific gun.

For me, at the price range you are implying, Wolf Match Target works very well for all of my rimfires.

For a little more, Wolf Match Extra and SK Match seem to be more consistant for me. For high end, RWS R-50 works well for me (Lapua has gotten out of my price range).

kiawahman
January 4, 2009, 10:09 PM
We fired Federal CPHP 36 grain rounds from a bulk pack today and they performed perfectly. No duds, and only a couple rounds that may have been underpowered, but then again it may have just sounded that way as the winds were fierce, and all groupings were tight.

This are totally different results from the Remington Golden Bullets we used last week, which are total trash in my book.

ChemicalArts
January 4, 2009, 11:11 PM
My favorite for my Buckmark is the Federal copper plated in the box of 550.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/zoom/zoompop.asp?i=106958_ts.JPG&h=&w=&bgc=&ui=&mc=&cf=&nv=&c=&adid=282495

david636
January 5, 2009, 08:11 AM
+1 on Remington Golden Bullets being very bad.

kiawahman
January 5, 2009, 09:21 AM
+1 on Remington Golden Bullets being very bad.

Yup, you could just about throw a handful in a camp fire and it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

natescout
January 5, 2009, 12:07 PM
My 10/22 shoots well with CCI STINGERS and MINI-MAGS , also groups well with Wolf match target . I like the Federal bulk pack at wally world (cuz its cheap) but my 10/22 doesn't like it so much.

luvtohunt26
January 5, 2009, 07:20 PM
i have shot a couple of these agulia rounds in my .22 and they were barely louder than the trigger is all agulia amunition this quiet for .22 lr or is there a special type and where can i get them cause i love to snipe squirels while in the deer stand

T191032
January 5, 2009, 07:52 PM
Yea, tried Agulia. Subsonic Hollow Point is good stuff. Their Match Rifle and Target Match just didn't fare well in the rifle I was trying it in (incompatible) as all gun barrels will show their own like/dislikes.

I recommend Winchester's X-Pert (white box, 1120fps) for manually operated .22s. I have not tried the "HV" version that is supposed to be around 1280 fps yet, though.

Lot of this type info and more can be searched over at RimfireCentral.com. The "what .22 ammo is best" Question has been asked so much, it is not worth asking, just search the terms and read for days on end.

rimshot25tn
January 5, 2009, 08:03 PM
my dad has been shooting the agulias in his cz 452 and they sound like shorts but he says they are accurate ,he doesnt shoot more than 50 yards i have found that my cz loves the federal champions just as good if not better than the cci mini mags,agulia

If you enjoyed reading about "best 22 lr ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!