Sportsman's Warehouse Finally Restocking?

PDA

Ky Larry
December 29, 2008, 07:18 PM
I went in my local SWH today and found a few items on the shelves in the reloading dept. They had 2 1lb bottles of Ramshot TAC powder, a box of Sierra 40 gr .223 Hornet bullets and some new .308 Win brass. I grabbed a pound of TAC, the bullets, and 50 new .308 cases. I know it's not much but it's a start. I called SWA's corporate headquarters and asked why the shelves were bare. A very nice lady said all their warehoses were full but nothing would be put on the shelves until after the first of the year. (Something about inventory taxes and new ownership.) I have a feeling our reloading component shortage is about as real as Santa and the Easter Bunny.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sportsman's Warehouse Finally Restocking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coltdriver
December 29, 2008, 08:27 PM
Do you understand that if you are a retailer (or you stock anything) you have to pay taxes on unsold inventory at the end of the year??

Its good business to let your on the shelf inventory dwindle down to as low as you can go and to re stock in January.

On top of that everyone is running lean these days so when they do restock I don't expect it to be big. I was in Sportsmans last week and I noticed what you did, the shelves were pretty much getting bare in many places.

I am seeing a lot more sell it out then restock as opposed to carrying a lot of inventory that moves slowly or slower.

I read that the "buyers remorse" factor is huge this year. Lot's of folks are returning their gifts to get cash back.

45ACPUSER
December 29, 2008, 10:19 PM
The shelves have been bare in metro for a while, and the excuse for powder this past spring was the WAR, yeah right...

kelbro
December 29, 2008, 10:20 PM
Cobwebs in the reloading section at my Sportsmans. Maybe the new owners will get them back in the game.

deerhunter61
December 29, 2008, 11:04 PM
I live in the Dallas area and the only one I am familar with is located in Austin Tx but I noticed the same thing a month and a half ago. They were real low on all of their reloading stuff. I really liked the store the first time I went in to it but since they really have not been keeping their stock up. Perhaps they were preparing for the end of the year a month and a half ago?:barf:

agd1953
December 29, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have gone into Sportmans several times in the last few months and have had money to spend but have not found a thing to spend it on. The reloading shelves are bare, cleaning kits bare, holsters bare, firamrms bare. Nothing at all except clothing. I have started to shop for reloading supplies online and will keep doing just that. Sportsmans either has lousy suppliers or they don't know what they need to stock. They have gone to S*** in the past few months.

wyocarp
December 29, 2008, 11:21 PM
Do you understand that if you are a retailer (or you stock anything) you have to pay taxes on unsold inventory at the end of the year??

What????

ants
December 29, 2008, 11:26 PM
That's why they advertise Year-End Clearance Sale Everything Must Go!
Then they do their inventory after the clearance sale.

jjohnson
December 29, 2008, 11:48 PM
Absolutely correct. If the fiscal year ends with the calendar year, stuff on the shelf means tax liabilities. Your alternative as a retailer is to pass the expense on to the purchaser :fire:

I am quite sure things will get better after the inaugeration. :barf:

It certainly IS a good point, though, that if you don't have what you advertize, and backorder often (oh, like maybe MIDWAY without mentioning any names :scrutiny:) the consumers will find you out and air your laundry on the internet.

Okay, I'm done venting :banghead: Sportsmens has always socked me with pretty stiff shipping fees which negate any savings (who does THAT remind you of)?

ReloaderFred
December 29, 2008, 11:49 PM
The Canadian Co-Operative, UFA Co-operative Limited, has purchased a controlling interest in Sportsman's Warehouse. I would imagine that there has been a "little period of adjustment" due to the purchase.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ReloaderFred
December 29, 2008, 11:55 PM
I am curious about this, though: Sportsmens has always socked me with pretty stiff shipping fees which negate any savings (who does THAT remind you of)?

To my knowledge, they don't offer internet sales, only in store flyers. The only thing I could find that they sell on their website is gift cards.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Bozo
December 29, 2008, 11:58 PM
The Sportsman Warehouse in my area has for the past year been off and on with stocking supplies in the gun department. When questioned even the employees do not know when a shipment will be coming in. They have been out of or low on reloading supplies for months. It doesn't have anything to do with the first of the year.

Right now, the shelves are bare, no powder, some rifle bullets, no pistol bullets at all, only some magnum primers or shotshell. Ammo?, forget it unless you are looking for CCI 22's.

Redneck with a 40
December 30, 2008, 12:33 AM
The local Sportsmans Warehouse here in Colorado Springs, a guy at the hunting counter told us they may not be getting anymore powder for a long time, just about sold out of everything. We did however, find an 8lb keg of Longshot.:D

ScottsGT
December 30, 2008, 12:52 AM
Columbia SC shelves bare too. I did find some small pistol primers tonight, and some case lube for my rifle reloading. Not much in the bullitts and powder though.
Hope the new owners allow sales of auto knives to us civilians now.

SASS#23149
December 30, 2008, 01:44 AM
I suspect that SW is in trouble,and is does not have the where withall to get restocked.
I understand about year end taxes and all,but if you have bare shelves,cusomers can't buy,and they may not come back the next time they need something.
I've been in retail long enough to spot a floundering company.
IMHO yours may vary,and that is fine.

Otto
December 30, 2008, 02:43 AM
I suspect that SW is in trouble,and is does not have the where withall to get restocked.
I understand about year end taxes and all,but if you have bare shelves,cusomers can't buy,and they may not come back the next time they need something.

You are correct.
Sportmans Warehouse doesn't have enough cash or credit to sufficiently stock the stores. Many vendors have quit extending them credit and now sell strictly COD. Their problems started over a year ago. Since then there have been layoffs, corporate resignations and several store closings. Last I heard, SW was bought out by a farmer's cooperative in Canada.

rhinoh
December 30, 2008, 05:03 AM
I was delighted when we got a Sportsmans Warehouse in SC. Then reality hit home. I've bought a number of weapons there and they do have good prices compared to other local choices. Other than that though they are at list price on pretty much everything unless it is on sale. They put out those sales flyers periodically then don't have the stuff on hand when I go to the store. My "delight" with them is over. I've heard from other sources, not on the net, they are in trouble. No surprise.

Eagle103
December 30, 2008, 09:36 AM
Wow. I didn't know Sportsman's WH was on the ropes too. Gander Mountain has been for some time already. Yesterday Cabelas stock took about a 25% drop and they're sitting at about 70% off their high. It seems that these kinds of stores are really getting hammered by the current economy. I don't believe the current run on guns, ammo, and reloading equipment helps them all that much either. A SW employee remarked to me a while ago that the shoe department makes more money for the store than the guns. I can't verify if it's true or not but you never see guns etc. selling for 70% off so you know the markup in shoes and clothing is probably where these stores are used to making their money.

SSN Vet
December 30, 2008, 10:58 AM

If you ever have any inclination to run your own business, I strongly suggest that you read up on the difference between cash accounting and accrual accounting.

Then you will understand that your statement is incorrect.

Strongbad
December 30, 2008, 07:51 PM
The S.W. here in central Texas has always been bad about re-stocking. Pretty much since it opened. However it's been worse for the last few months, then about two weeks ago they got a big truckload of stuff in and the shelves were back to about 90%, in one night. I asked the guy behind the counter what the hell was up and then he gave me the 411 on the merger with the Canadian outfit. Alberta something or other. It gives me hope that the issues we've all been seeing should be remedied soon. Atleast that's what the guy at the store was saying. I hope that's the case because having a S.W. about 4 miles from the house sure is handy.

winchester243
December 30, 2008, 08:32 PM
If you ever have any inclination to run your own business, I strongly suggest that you read up on the difference between cash accounting and accrual accounting.

Then you will understand that your statement is incorrect.

Some states assess a property tax/business inventory tax based on year end inventory levels. You are talking about income taxes.

But I doubt very, very much that the empty shelves at SW have anything to do with an inventory tax and everything to do with their poor credit.

Seafarer12
December 31, 2008, 12:53 AM
They have had issues with supply for awhile. They put in their order but never know what they are going to get. I was talking with a guy I know that works there and he was telling me they just sold out and the new holding company is investing a lot of money into the stores and supply is one of the areas they are going to improve. They want to compete with Academy. We will just have to see if any of it comes around. Even with crappy supply they are still the best reloading store around Austin.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11114815?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Remo-99
December 31, 2008, 07:09 AM
But I doubt very, very much that the empty shelves at SW have anything to do with an inventory tax and everything to do with their poor credit.

+1
Sure retailers try to run stock low at the end of a fiscal year, but 'bare shelves' and not having fast moving stock on hand (to have customers walk in wanting to spend money, only to walk out without spending a dime) whether for tax reasons or not, just isn't good business sense.

There seems to be a credit issue with their suppliers, whether due to a change of ownership or something else, I don't know.

rhinoh
December 31, 2008, 07:12 PM
Two links discussing Sporstmans Warehouse- the 2nd one is from the company that bought them, contained within that link are links to the new owners website UFA

http://chattanoogan.com/articles/article_139450.asp

http://www.newwest.net/city/article/ufas_ceo_explains_acquisition_of_sportsmans_warehouse/C94/L94/

Coltdriver
January 2, 2009, 11:22 PM
SSN Vet,

I was thinking that Thornton did the same thing that Denver does. You do pay taxes on year end inventory in Denver. I know because I ran a business there for many years. They don't care about your accounting method.

The reason Thornton (and the other stores too perhaps) may be reducing inventory is because they have been purchased. In Thornton there is an additional tax on the transfer of a company. The tax is based on the cash paid or the value of the inventory and assets according to the balance sheet at the time of the transfer.

Who knows? But what is plain is that of the items that move, they don't seem to be replacing them. Maybe its just driven by the panic over the coming administrations unknown intentions.

ranger335v
January 3, 2009, 04:02 PM
"I have a feeling our reloading component shortage is about as real as Santa and the Easter Bunny."

The "shortage" is real enough, but not from any manipulation of the retail outlets or the manufactors. They only planned for normal consumption and this time of year it tends to be pretty low. Our "Chicken Littles" got into a panic after BO won, they bought far more than normal and that prompted others to follow suit, buying more than they can use in many months. So, the store shelves were cleared.

Now that the retailers are past normal year end inventory problems, and all the taxes that includes, they will probably get things back on track soon enough.

elkhuntingfool
January 3, 2009, 04:06 PM
While I understand the tax issue on inventory at the end of the year - our SW hasn't had squat for reloading for months - so I am not going to buy into that one.

PedalBiker
January 13, 2009, 06:02 PM
The Loveland S.W. has been giving me the spiel since early summer. First they said they were waiting until hunting season, well, now hunting season is come and gone and the reloading section is pretty much cleaned out. Handguns are down to about 1/6 of usual, as are holsters. I didn't check ammo, I reload 90% of what I shoot and I stocked up on factory ammo way back when WWB 9mm was selling for $15/ 100.

It looks fishy to me. Maybe the new Canadian owners are just loath to sell gun stuff? I think they'll find out the hard way,though, that without the specialty stuff they're no match for Wal Mart. If they just try to keep the high volume mass appeal stuff they're history.

ReloaderFred
January 13, 2009, 10:09 PM
I don't understand how you can blame Sportsman's Warehouse for not having stock on the shelves, when every shooting sports retailer I've been in since the election has suffered the same fate. If the distributors don't have the product, the retailers can't get it, no matter how much capital they have. Right now, all the retailers I've talked to are begging suppliers for powder, primers, bullets, rifles, pistols and especially anything that resembles an AR. They just can't get it, and if they do get a little bit in, it's sold by the end of the day.

It's a supply and demand situation right now. I saw it coming and started stocking up last January, not this one. My stuff isn't for sale and won't be, either.

We've all seen this before if we've been in this game any time at all. The new kids on the block don't understand it, but it will level out over time, and I'm sure that Sportsman's Warehouse is going to get caught up, but it's going to take time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BENELLIMONTE
January 13, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ditto for the Boise/Meridian store.Not much of reloading supplies to speak of. Not very many customers either. :uhoh:

slush
January 14, 2009, 12:42 PM
We in Tallahassee FL are still out of stock too. I keep swinging by hoping a truck will come in soon. :(

Gryffydd
January 14, 2009, 01:21 PM
I was in the Lacey, WA SWH yesterday and the shelves were completely bare. I was talking to the guys behind the counter and one of them mentioned that corporate had handed a $3+ million check to Hodgdon, and Hodgdon couldn't ship the order. As in, Hodgdon wouldn't ship on credit, and then when they got the cash they still couldn't ship the order right away. Maybe that means we'll see something in the coming weeks.

Obviously I have no idea if he was right or not, I'm just passing along what I heard.

66GTO
January 14, 2009, 07:51 PM
We in Tallahassee FL are still out of stock too. I keep swinging by hoping a truck will come in soon.

I was in Tallahassee visiting relatives New Years weekend and stopped in SW. I needed a #9 shell holder. They had every shell holder size except what I needed. Some shelves were rather thinly stocked in the reloading area, but I don't know what they were missing since it was my first time in the store. When I asked the clerk about the shell holder he said they would have a truckload of stock coming in the next week. It sounds as though the truck never arrived :uhoh:

Gryffydd
January 14, 2009, 08:11 PM
@66GTO
From what I saw it seems they are doing better on equipment/parts than they are on components and consumables.

rhinoh
January 15, 2009, 06:14 PM
Stopped in the Columbia SC SW today- no restocking apparent at all, almost zero powder, a few primers, guns and bullets and holsters very low...

slush
January 15, 2009, 09:09 PM
66GTO

I was in Tallahassee visiting relatives New Years weekend and stopped in SW. I needed a #9 shell holder. They had every shell holder size except what I needed. Some shelves were rather thinly stocked in the reloading area, but I don't know what they were missing since it was my first time in the store. When I asked the clerk about the shell holder he said they would have a truckload of stock coming in the next week. It sounds as though the truck never arrived

Yep, never showed up. The had a couple boxes of TAC powder and my dad bought them all before I could get my hands on them. Hoping that truck shows up soon!

Lucky Strike
January 15, 2009, 09:50 PM
they had a bunch of bags of Winchester .223 brass tonight but it was too expensive for me ($23 per 100)

ScottsGT
January 16, 2009, 09:56 AM
Stopped in the Columbia SC SW today- no restocking apparent at all, almost zero powder, a few primers, guns and bullets and holsters very low...

Thanks Rhinoh. You saved me the trouble of another trip over to Piney Grove Rd. Hopefully there will be some supplies at the gunshow this weekend?

Gryffydd
January 19, 2009, 01:52 PM
The Lacey, WA SWH gets their shipments every Thursday at about noon. They don't have the pallets broken down until about 4-5PM.
I called them at 4:30 last Thursday and all they had gotten was some AA powder. No Hodgdon, no Alliant, no IMR, no Winchester.

I ended up just ordering a bunch from Cabelas.com. They had Hodgdon in stock and on sale. 3 pounds of H110 and 2 pounds of Titegroup and with the Hazmat, shipping, and taxes it came to just under $25/lb. At least I'll have something to load with.

sqlbullet
January 19, 2009, 03:48 PM
According to the guy I spoke to at the SLC location on Saturday, their issues have been mostly related to their ability to pay for new stock. They were recently acquired by another company, had a cash infusion, and now are waiting 2-3 weeks before goods re-fill their supply line. I guess we will see how true that is about Valentines day...

72IH
January 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
SSNVet may be right. If you are over 1million in income you must report on a cash basis. Therefore you must report all inventory at year end.

elkhuntingfool
January 19, 2009, 11:07 PM
okay - for comparison - went to Cableas - they have EVERYTHING and SW has nothing. Same state - just about 15 miles apart. There is no ammo or reloading shortage - just at SW.

thirdeye
January 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
Exactly the same story at the Wyoming store, some shelves are bare. I'm holding some gift cards from Christmas :( waiting for the inventory to get stocked back up....

tlen
January 22, 2009, 04:57 PM
My local SW hasn't restocked and there are a lot more empty shelves since the end of December. The counter guy says since the Canadian outfit took them over orders have been slow and apparently a look and see evolution. I sure hope my store doesn't close as there isn't anything else for reasonable reloading supplies for ~60 miles.

desoto
March 13, 2009, 09:56 AM
Stopped by my local Sportsmans Warehouse located in Woodbury, MN yesterday and was greeted by a large green "Store Closing" banner. I was told that all stores in Minnesota are closing. The clerk didn't know the extent beyond Minnesota, but I would assume there are more.

Eagle103
March 13, 2009, 11:00 AM
I just read about that in the Red Star Tribune Desoto. Wow. A tough market but it says they've been losing money for a coulple of years already. At least they're only selling the store I go to in Fargo to the Canadian Coop and not closing it. We'll see how that goes.

SASS#23149
March 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
If you go to the SW home site,they list the stores that are closing and those that have been sold to Canadians.
My daughter in law's store is on the 'safe' list,as is the Porltand,oregon store.
At meetings,the story is they WILL be resotcking soon,and heavy.Sure hope so.

1911 TERRY
March 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
It was announced in yesterdays Portland newspaper that Sportsman Warehouse sold all its stores in Idaho, Washington, Oregon (except Medford), and Western Montana to a Canadian company. They also stated they will no longer honor Sportsman gift cards. I had $100.00 worth of there cards, and I'll now only be able to use them at there Medford, Oregon store. What a bummer. I don't think I'll be doing much shopping at the new owners stores in the future.

Otto
March 13, 2009, 03:55 PM
It was announced in yesterdays Portland newspaper that Sportsman Warehouse sold all its stores in Idaho, Washington, Oregon (except Medford), and Western Montana to a Canadian company.

Old news. The Canadian buy-out was posted in this thread nearly 3 months ago.
Nothing has changed, no components then and no components now.

Dynamite Rabbit
March 13, 2009, 03:59 PM
This is different. The deal with the Canadian company fell through, so they're not buying the whole chain. What's left of Sportsman's Warehouse is still hurting for cash, thus the store closures.

"The deteriorating economy has drastically altered plans for a Canadian co-operative to buy 80 percent of Sportsman's Warehouse, a Midvale-based outdoors company.
Instead, Sportsman's Warehouse is closing 23 stores in 17 states and selling 15 other stores in the northern United States to UFA Co-operative Ltd., based in Calgary."

Salt Lake Tribune article (http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11891901)

Otto
March 13, 2009, 04:04 PM
This is different. The deal with the Canadian company fell through, so they're not buying the whole chain. What's left of Sportsman's Warehouse is still hurting for cash, thus the store closures
No one said the Canadian co-op was buying everyone of their stores.
Furthermore, Sportsman's cash and credit problems were reported here 3 months ago as well.

hlq
March 13, 2009, 04:10 PM
Has anybody been to the store in CO Springs lately? I was thinking of making a trip up from down south but don't want to waste the gas if there still as bare as the last time I was there.

ReloaderFred
March 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
Here is the quote from the Sportsman's Warehouse website:

News
March 10, 2009

Stuart Utgaard, the Chairman and CEO of Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings, today announced that the company is taking two major actions to improve liquidity.

1. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt.

• Aurora, CO
• Coon Rapids, MN
• DePere, WI
• Henderson, NV
• Lafayette, IN
• Las Cruces, NM
• Las Vegas, NV
• Legacy, TX
• Memphis, TN
• Nampa, ID
• New Berlin, WI
• Oklahoma City, OK
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Pocatello, ID
• Roanoke, VA
• Rogers, AR
• Round Rock, TX
• St. Cloud, MN
• Sioux Falls, SD
• Southaven, MS
• Visalia, CA
• Wichita, KS
• Woodbury, MN • Bend, OR
• Bozeman, MT
• Burlington, WA
• Coeur d’Alene, ID
• Fargo, ND
• Federal Way, WA
• Helena, MT
• Kennewick, WA
• Lacey, WA
• Missoula, MT
• Portland, OR
• Salem, OR
• Silverdale, WA
• Spokane, WA
• Vancouver, WA

15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-op.

• Bend, OR
• Bozeman, MT
• Burlington, WA
• Coeur d’Alene, ID
• Fargo, ND
• Federal Way, WA
• Helena, MT
• Kennewick, WA
• Lacey, WA
• Missoula, MT
• Portland, OR
• Salem, OR
• Silverdale, WA
• Spokane, WA
• Vancouver, WA

It is hoped that these actions will enable the firm to go forward as a viable entity with approximately 2,300 employees. Sportsman's Warehouse is a leading outdoor retailer of sporting goods headquartered in Midvale, Utah.

Hope this helps.

Fred

X-Rap
March 14, 2009, 12:37 AM
[/QUOTEchain. What's left of Sportsman's Warehouse is still hurting for cash, thus the store closures

No one said the Canadian co-op was buying everyone of their stores.
Furthermore, Sportsman's cash and credit problems were reported here 3 months ago as well.

][QUOTE]
The Canadian closing had passed multiple times, thus the loss of credit and stock of items that are in high demand (guns and ammo) The stores that are going to UFA are for payment for the earnest money given for the initial buy out. The other stores that are to be sold are in poorer locations or don't have the margains that Utgaard and his people deem required to get back in black.

420Stainless
March 14, 2009, 10:44 AM
Bummer. Both locations near me are closing. Too bad they weren't prepared with inventory for the election induced panic. Maybe they could have made enough cash to stay afloat.

Me and my son are going to miss having them around.:(

Redneck with a 40
March 14, 2009, 01:00 PM
I've given up on them, I buy all of my supplies at gun show's. Fortunately, we have four of them per year out here.:D

Pine Cone
March 15, 2009, 02:17 AM
My local paper had an article today that confirms ReloaderFred's post assuming that you remove the 15 sell to UFA stores from the bottom of his 23/38 close stores list.

Lucky for me the Washington stores will stay open. Prices are better than Cabela's and my local store staff has some good folks that work there. I would hate to see them lose there jobs because of something the corporate folks did.

Still like my two local & locally owned stores, but Sportsman's has the best local rifle selection.

1SOW
March 15, 2009, 02:41 AM
Mine is going under here in San Antonio. The Legacy store

The Canadian company bought the NW US stores.
The original company is trying to make a go of it in the 4 Salt Lake City area stores.
The rest are hung in the wind.

My brother-in-law said the original SLC stores are in the same depleted stock condition as all the others.

I did get a pound of VIT powder last week. They had two more on hand.
No pistol or rifle cartridges , no small or large pistol primers, very little cleaning supplies and empty shelves.

ranger335v
March 15, 2009, 09:46 PM
"... the coming administrations unknown intentions.."

Off topic but I believe the coming adminsistration's intentions against us ARE known, just unstated as yet. But they WILL get to us after they take a moments pause from the current orgy of spending.

45ACPUSER
March 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
They over expanded! Their owner blew it in more ways then one! Now thanks to them being 350 M in the hole, they are affecting their creditor's ability to do biz.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sportsman's Warehouse Finally Restocking?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!