Some noob reloading questions...

PDA

fearme
December 29, 2008, 06:36 PM
Just getting started reloading with a Hornady LNL w/ casefeeder, although the casefeeder isn't on yet.

1) When reloading .45ACP how exact does the bullet seating depth need to be? I'm loading up 4.8 grains of Titegroup under 230g Hornady XTP jacketed hollowpoints spec'd as 1.230" OAL. I'm having a Hell of a time keeping it 1.230. The range seems to go from 1.222 to 1.231

2) My first batch of 20 rounds of 4.6 grains Titegroup chrono'd anywhere from 700fps up to 760 but seemed to cluster around 720 which is a little lower than what the book has. Wondering if my OAL variation had something to do with that spread... Is that kind of FPS spread ok? The stuff seemed more accurate than factory ammo although I was more concerned not shooting my chrony...

3) How to pull loaded bullets? I've got one of those cheap hammer pullers. Is it ok to put a primed/loaded bullet in there? That probably sounds stupid but I wanted to be sure. If I go to reload those pieces and want to use a new primer can I punch the live primer out with my standard decap/sizer die?

4) If I do set off 100 primers in my tube what kind of force do they have? My bench is in my basement below my living room. Standard 3/4" plywood with oak planks above... Any paranoid need to add a thin sheet of steel to the ceiling above the press?

Thanks

-Fear

If you enjoyed reading about "Some noob reloading questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dean Williams
December 29, 2008, 07:08 PM
Those primers are not going to go through 3/4" plywood. If you did happen to set them off, which is not likely, they are probably going to go all over the place. I'm sure you know, but eye protection is really important.

I've pulled hundreds bullets from loaded rounds with a hammer type puller. Use the collets as they are supposed to be, per directions. Don't use any other method to hold the cartridge case but the supplied collets.
Do not try to pull bullets if the case has a high primer. This is parroting the usual warning concerning these type pullers.
Follow the directions and they will be safe. I think they work best if you do not try to remove a bullet with one hard hit. Four or five lighter strokes are better.

You will often, (usually) get lower velocities than loading handbook figures. It's nothing to worry about, and it's very common. Your OAL variation may have a little to do with the spread, but probably very little. It's not uncommon to have a spread like this. There are a lot of minor variables that add up to these figures. Slight differences in powder charge, slightly different bullet seating, differences in bullet crimp from load to load, and things like that. It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

By the way, I don't have a book with your powder/bullet combo, so I don't mean this to be taken to say that I know your load to be safe. I don't think that's what you are asking, but just want to be clear.

Chief-7700
December 29, 2008, 07:14 PM
Well, I'll take a stab at your questions.
1. I let my Gase Gauge and Mag tell me the OAL. Check your lock ring on your seater.
2. Will be buying a Crony soon so I will pass on this question.
3. Yes they do work! Hint put a 2x4 on the floor and hit that with the bullet puller. Why reuse primers? I don't decap live primers....
4.YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE Be carful and respect primers and you should not have any problems. However I do not know how the Hornady machine handles primers since I use a different reloading machine.
Chief

If you enjoyed reading about "Some noob reloading questions..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!