Muzzlebrakes....?

PDA

deerhunter61
December 30, 2008, 02:43 AM
I was wondering how many of you use muzzlebrakes on your rifles?

If you use them what calibers do you have them on?

How much did it reduce the recoil?

If you do not have one on a hard hitting rifle why not?

If you do would you have one placed on the same rifle again?

I own a 7Mag, 300Mag and a 280 mountain rifle that kicks every bit as hard as the first two.

How much did it cost you to have one installed?

Did any of you have accuracy issues with your rifle after you installed one on your rifle?

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzlebrakes....?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kingcreek
December 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
I have one on an M1a bush rifle. recoil wasn't bad to begin with but it changed the recoil considerably. also made it VERY LOUD.

stubbicatt
December 30, 2008, 11:14 AM
The last time I answered a thread like this, I was surprised to learn how many men feel that a brake is sissy. I don't know about that.

I have one on my PTR91, which is chambered in 308, and would say that it reduces perceived recoil some, but most importantly, the muzzle is more stable for quick followup shots. I bought it for that 3 gun game, but haven't shot that game in a long while. Most competitors in that game have brakes even on 223 rifles for the same reason.

I have not noticed any change in accuracy, but then this rifle is not known to be a tack driver anyways.

The brake I purchased from JPRifles dot com, I think it was $100. It was an easy install, as the muzzle was already threaded for a flash hider.

I don't see any particular need for the super magnum rifles myself, but if I had one of the rifles you mentioned, I would surely consider a muzzle brake as one of the first additions to the rifle.

HTH.

briansmithwins
December 30, 2008, 11:29 AM
A good brake will be loud as the gas that's redirected to control recoil and muzzle rise has to go somewhere. The shooter may not perceive that much of a noise increase but bystanders almost certainly will. Muzzle flash will also be increased.

The only brake I currently own is a AK74 brake that's on my 7.62x39 rifle. The brake was overbored to work with the larger 7.62 bullet vs. the 5.45 that it was designed for. The AK74 brake reduces recoil by about 1/3rd by my completly non-scientific calibrated shoulder. It also gets me faster followup shots as it reduces muzzle rise. BSW

AK74 brake exterior. Notice the 3 asymmetrical ports.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/IMG_1206.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/IMG_1207.jpg

AK74 brake interior. Notice the zig-zag gas slits. Those work with the flange on the front to reduce recoil.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/IMG_1208.jpg

supercopjason
December 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
I put a brake on anything that will cause flinch shooting a box of shells. The 300 ultra mag begins to hurt a bit at the end of a box so i will brake it.

I like to use fox river brakes and it drastically changes the recoil. On the 300 Ultra it tamed it down to about a 270. One of the companies i recommend is Gander mountain gunsmithing services for installing brakes.

From gandermountain the brake and installation costs 140 the muzzle cap is 50 then add 50 and get a nice recessed crown on the rifle as well.

Everything is your preference I dont look at someones gun and say anything but good (unless its a safety problem) because if they like the gun who am i to say its not good. If you like a brake then enjoy it if someone thinks its sissy let them enjoy the thought that they are more of a man.

MMCSRET
December 30, 2008, 12:43 PM
I have had 2. On 35 Whelen and 338-06. I don't own any semi-autos or belted magnums, but I like them on the two that I have.

deerhunter61
December 30, 2008, 01:19 PM
I am certainly not concerned with being viewed as a sissy.:) I am just to old to let something like that concern me...boy peer pressure exists even here? :D Surprise Surprise.

The main concern I have is with the effect the blow back has on my ears and those of anyone standing near. Even with ear protection I have been around some of these that still hurt my ears. That is the ONLY reason I have not had one of these put on my rifles so far.

I am really struggling with what to do here... The only reason I am considering it is due to degenerative disk disease in my neck and having seperated both shoulders multiple times I have simply become recoil sensitive to these rifles. The worst part is that all three shoot incredible. I have literally put three factory rounds into the same hole with my Browning BBR 7Mag. The remington BDL 300Mag shoots half inch groups at a hundred yards and the 280...well I have not shot it as much because I just bought it last year and once I realized how bad it kicks pretty much just put it up but I still have shot 3/4 inch groups at a hundred yards with it.

As far as selling them...it is simply not an option on the 7Mag or the 300 Mag. I have had those two rifles for 23 years and I simply have become too attached to them. Perhaps I will have some grandsons to pass them on to? My hope anyway.

Oh well....that is the story.

Cover Dog
December 30, 2008, 02:42 PM
deerhunter61...I will answer the questions I can...

If you use them what calibers do you have them on?

I have an Answer Muzzle Brake on a Winchester Custon Shop stainless Mdl. 70 in 358 STA. Shooting a 250 gr. bullet I push it to 3060fps and 5300lbs. ft. of energy. Needless to say when you pull the trigger you know the gun goes off.

How much did it reduce the recoil?

Don't know. I sent the gun for the brake installation as soon as the gun arrived from Winchester. Back then they said it would cut recoil almost in half if used with their recoil pad. 375 H&H to a 7mm, 30-06 to a .243. etc.

If you do would you have one placed on the same rifle again?

Yes

How much did it cost you to have one installed?

It's been about 8 years but I think it was about $280 and that included their special recoil pad installed also.

Did any of you have accuracy issues with your rifle after you installed one on your rifle?

Again I can't say since it was installed before I ever shot the gun. I can tell you that I get .5 moa with 250gr. Nosler Partitions and .850 moa with Swift-A-Frames in the same weight.

I always wear a Past recoil pad when doing range work with this gun. I don't care what others think of my manhood. If they want to be macho, I'll gladly load up the gun (remove the brake) and let them have a go at it.

ArmedBear
December 30, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've shot someone's .300 Weatherby Magnum rifle with a brake. I have the same rifle in .30-06.

From the bench, the .300 Wby with brake recoiled a good deal less than my .30-06 (150 grain cheap factory hunting loads) did without one, and ordinarily I wouldn't even try shooting a .300 Wby from the bench. Not my idea of fun.

The brakes really do work.:)

Envisaged
December 30, 2008, 04:50 PM
If you are shooting at a crowded range and the benches are close together - the people next to you will probably not like you. It is almost disrespectful IMHO.

Do they reduce recoil - good brakes will help considerably. Our local range officers generally frown on them unless it is on a rifle that *needs* it(.338 and up). They generally say if you can't handle the recoil - get a different rifle.

gvnwst
December 30, 2008, 05:24 PM
I have a brake on my AR, to reduce muzzle climb when target shooting. It deos reduce recoil a bit, but starting with the 5.56......there isn't much to reduce. Makes a big difference in muzzle jump though.

Txhillbilly
December 30, 2008, 05:30 PM
Deerhunter61,I have muzzlebrakes on my Ruger #1 300WM and also on one of my 30/06 rifles. It reduces the recoil on both of them to that of a 243.
I see you are in DFW,if you are wanting to get a muzzlebrake installed on your guns,contact Williamson Gunsmithing in Bedford,or Euless Guns in Euless and they can do a fine job installing one for you at a decent price.
They will make your rifle "Loud as Hell" for anyone setting near you at a gun range,and you will have to always wear hearing protection,yes even when hunting,when firing a gun with a muzzlebrake.

-v-
December 30, 2008, 05:32 PM
Any advantage that you can get is worth getting. The recoil junkies can go and shoot their TNT fueled cannons from the shoulder and then brag to each other of how many dislocated shoulders they've had this past week.

HOLY DIVER
December 30, 2008, 05:52 PM
breaks help i don't have one on my deer rifle for the simple reason i don't need it on a 7mm-08 recoil is not bad now those deer hunters that think it takes a 50BMG to take a whitetail down yea you might need a break!
not trying to highjack the thread but you guys gotta hear this.....i was in my local sporting good store the other day and a guy comes in starts talking to me tells me hez gonna start coyote hunting and hez there to buy a rifle...i said kool(in my mind i'm thinking this guy is gonna buy a 223 bolt gun kool)
no no no no he buys a remington 700 in 7mm mag
after he does the paper work he looks at me and says and i quote"this rifle is perfect huh"
i allmost choked on the coke i was drinking and i said "yep that will work great"

gvnwst
December 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
Well, if you could translate a bit of that into english, i could laugh too:D:p
(grammar that is)

moooose102
December 30, 2008, 06:03 PM
i basicly have 2 rifles that have quiote a bit of recoil. one is a 300 win mag, the other is a 45/70. the 45/70, shooting modern high pressure loads, actually kicks worse than the 300 win mag. i had a muzzle brake installed on the 45/70 (marlin 1895 standard guide gun), it made a heck of a difference. the noise increase was not as bad as i had been lead to believe, at least out in the open woods. in an indoor/ or covered range, i am certain it would be quite loud. after i had the muzzle brake installed, i ended up buying a Limbsaver recoil pad. between the two of these, it makes shooting my 45/70 enjoyable, instead of punishing. of course, i am getting older, and comfort now is a premium. my 300 win mag, has a limbsaver on it, and for now, that is enough. the muzzle brake i had installed was a "GENTRY QUIET MUZZLE BRAKE" installed by Dick Williams gun shop in Saginaw Mi. it was around 200.00 installed and that included reinstalling the front sight. if you have a rifle that is beating you up, install a limbsaver first. if that does not do the trick, then have a muzzle brake installed.

HOLY DIVER
December 30, 2008, 06:25 PM
gvnwst i'll make sure never to use text terms again that way you can understand

dagger dog
December 30, 2008, 06:42 PM
Brakes may be loud and disrespective of the fellow shooting next to you, but here is a little input on that subject and it goes hand in hand with the sissy aspect of this thread.

As soon as the fellow on the next bench pulled out his SUPER KEWL Barrett 50 BMG cal. boltie, that WAS equipped with a muzzle brake, about half the firing line came over to watch, and after 5 rounds which I guess was all he could afford, he proceeded to pack it up. Leaving me near total deaf for the rest of my day testing new reloads.

I guess its not so sissy to have a muzzle brake, if you got a KEWL rifle, and if it is KEWL enough it's ok to take out a few eardrums.:cuss:

So SISSY and KEWL are all relative .
Also make sure you bring muffs and plugs to the range.:D

Shawnee
December 30, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hi deerhunter61...

Seems to me the primary issues are the degenerative disc and separated shoulder problems.... and the potential for hearng damage and rebellion from bystanders. The seriousness of the first two and their potential to get worse can be underestimated or ignored only by a fool.

It's not unreasonable to think that your choice is really between shooting your current rifles for a couple more years and then being done with shooting (and other things) altogether... or ... retiring (not selling) your current rifles in favor of something less robust and being able to continue shooting (and other things) for a couple more decades.

Personally, I would bet my reloading press that anyone who can shoot 1/2MOA with a .300 Winnie can probably do at least that well with a .24, .25, or .26 caliber, and they wouldn't need to waste any time feeling like a sissy because they weren't shooting something larger in diameter.

Local opinion may vary... but it's your physical welfare and that makes your opinion the only one that counts.

Good Luck !

:cool:

Strongbad
December 30, 2008, 07:28 PM
With the exception of my 50BMG, the only other rifle I've ever had a brake on was a 30/378 Weatherby and it came with the brake from the factory. The Wby Accubrake is very effective but the blast is tremendous and much more of the noise is directed towards the shooter and near by. That was probably the main reason why I had the gun rebarreled without a brake. For me the blast and noise was just too much. I'd rather learn to live with the recoil, so that's what I did. There are other ways to cut down on recoil too, don't forget. A good pad like a limbsaver. Mercury recoil reducers. The shape of the stock. etc. Things less permanent than porting a barrel or threading on a brake.

While I think it's a harsh statement (someone else said it, not me) I believe that I probably side with the "If you can't shoot it without a brake, you should probably be shooting a smaller gun" clan. Shoulder problems and 50BMG's excluded from that statement of course. :)

WardenWolf
December 30, 2008, 07:32 PM
A brake can't really hurt, and can only help. Lower recoil, less muzzle jump, and more accuracy in some cases. It's a very nice thing to have with some calibers like 7.62x54R and more powerful.

Pokyman
December 30, 2008, 10:05 PM
I have installed muzzlebrakes on practically every common hunting round you can think of. Without question the brake tames recoil. The larger the case capacity of the cartridge being used, the more the recoil is reduced. 300 RUM, 300 Win mag. will recoil about like a 270. 270 will kick about like a 243, 243 about like a 22-250, 22-250 about like a 17 REM..
On the big capacity cartridges, approximately 40% reduction.
I once put a muzzle brake on a 22-250. I was more than a little puzzled as to why this person wanted a brake on a 22-250. His reply was so he could see his hits, because he hunted by himself and could not see if he was hitting varmints or not. At that time I did not believe a brake would tame a rifle that much. I went and tested the rifle myself. When the rifle fired, sure enough, you could see the bullet strike. About all that happened was the cross hairs of the scope wiggled a little bit.
I have heard that there are brands of muzzlebrakes that advertise they are not as loud as other brakes. As of yet, I have not found a brand of brake that was not loud.
I have found that a brake causes a rifle to lose accuracy nor heard of anyone saying that a brake will adversely affect accuracy.

Pokyman
December 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
Last sentence of my message should read I have not found that a brake caused a rifle to lose accuracy nor heard of anyone saying that a brake will adversely affect accuracy.

.38 Special
December 30, 2008, 10:33 PM
If you do not have one on a hard hitting rifle why not?

I find the additional volume at least as detrimental to my shooting as the recoil problem it was intended to solve.

I have heard -- but cannot prove -- that brakes can be so loud that even commonly available ear protection cannot make it "safe".

atvalaska
December 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
get the muzzle brake + a "cap" that u can screw on AFTER u finish at the range! hunting u "never feel the recoil"...i 2 have a 22-250 w/ a brake as i like to see their faces when 4200 fps of 40 gr molys greet them :) brench rest shooters all over the place trust stan jackson of alaska to do them rite! tls fbks ak

j.crippler
December 31, 2008, 02:19 AM
I had a King Armory KA-1830 installed on my lightweight Savage 110 in 7mm Mag. Made the gun a LOT more pleasant to shoot. Big calibers or light rifles are good guns to put a brake on, they'll bruise your shoulder pretty quickly otherwise.

Dr.Rob
December 31, 2008, 04:28 AM
Factory adjustable brake on my Savage 116fask doesn't make much difference in accuracy or recoil. Does make it noisier, harder to clean but also protects the muzzle crown during cleaning.

I usually just leave it closed.

Those multiport AK 74 brakes really do reduce muzzle climb, but also make a 223/5.56mm AK really loud.

deerhunter61
December 31, 2008, 06:15 PM
I suppose you are trying to be funny? Hope you do not quit your day job.

December 31, 2008, 06:29 PM
Do they make muzzle brakes for bull barrels? I've seen a few that were too skinny to meet up to the barrel completely and looked hideous.

.38 Special
December 31, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'm guessing deerhunter61 has either a big Adam's apple or a huge belly.

<Edited to mention that this post is in jest. I thought that was obvious, but I'd forgotten how seriously some people take themselves.>

deerhunter61
December 31, 2008, 09:24 PM
.38 Special

"I'm guessing deerhunter61 has either a big Adam's apple or a huge belly".

First of all I am not sure what you are trying to say but if I read this correct you are wrong on both counts and frankly I do not appreciate the insult. I do not think I have aimed any your way and it is simply uncalled for.

So in the future if you are going to take pot shots I would appreciate it if you would avoid the threads I start.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 31, 2008, 11:14 PM
All my rifles have a (theoretical at least) purpose. Those purposes, if and when shooting is called for, don't involve me using hearing protection (hunting, self-defense). Except for the strictly target rifles which are few and far between - but those are all pussycats - .243 win and under. Therefore, I have no muzzle brakes. I don't need a "loudener" on my rifle if it's under .338 lapua in recoil level.

elktrout
December 31, 2008, 11:53 PM
A lot of opinions exist on the brake issue, as seen by the replies here. They do work. They are loud. From an aesthetics standpoint, they are not attractive; but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But, if you take one hunting, you should take along hearing protection of some sort. If you shoot one without protection, you will never forget it.

Some negatives about brakes carried in the field may include:

1. If shooting prone, the blast may kick up dirt and debris into your face, depending on the angle of the holes in the brake and the ground around you.

2. If you have a screw on type brake, it might come loose and fall off your gun. It has happened.

3. If you have to shoot quickly, you may not have time to put in/on your hearing protection. It will hurt accordingly.

A positive:

In open spaces of the west, a muzzle braked gun report is spread out so much that animals cannot always detect its origin. Some hunters have reported that animals will just stand around after the shot. Not a big deal, but it may allow a second shot if the first one was a miss.

I know. We never miss. At least not that we will admit.

NC-Mike
January 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
If you are shooting at a crowded range and the benches are close together - the people next to you will probably not like you. It is almost disrespectful IMHO.

Do they reduce recoil - good brakes will help considerably. Our local range officers generally frown on them unless it is on a rifle that *needs* it(.338 and up). They generally say if you can't handle the recoil - get a different rifle.

At my range, the guy with loudest gun often gets a pat on the back. :)

I wouldn't fret about anyone getting disturbed at a rifle range cause my gun has a brake on it. Rifle ranges are expected to be loud. :neener:

Acera
January 1, 2009, 01:59 PM
.308 asked:
Do they make muzzle brakes for bull barrels?

Yes, it depends on where you go. I had the brake for my Acera custom made to match the contour of the barrel, and it is hard to tell where the joint is. It has a thin barrel, but the smith would have made it match any barrel profile I had on the rifle.

The brake on my bull barreled PSS looks like something off a tank cannon, but it is very effective.

I have not taken the brake off my .50BMG bolt gun yet, too scared :) But I will get over that some day and check out the difference, I think it will be significant.

The Briley brake I have on the .458 is contoured matched to the heavy barrel, and makes that gun more pleasant to shoot.

Yeah I am a fan of the brake. But I do try to find benches that are not close to other shooters, and warn those that come to shoot close to me of the noise, as a courtesy.

BruceB
January 1, 2009, 02:42 PM
I was offered a near-new (six rounds fired) Savage left-hand .338 "sight unseen" one day, and told the gent I'd take it. Turned out that it has the on-off muzzle brake.

The brake makes a HUGE difference when shooting from the bench, reducing the .338/225/2850 recoil to about the level of a .270 WCF. A few dozen cast-bullet loads "froze" the brake in the "on" position, and it has resisted heroic efforts to move it ever since. The noise factor doesn't really matter, because I use my electronic muffs when hunting and when just shooting for fun.

This is certainly the most-comfortable .338 I ever hope to fire, and it's wickedly accurate to boot. I'll vote for the brake, but you WILL need good hearing protection.

GregGry
January 1, 2009, 05:44 PM
the loudest rifle i have ever heard was a short barreled ar15 in .308. I was standing atleast 35 feet away and i had double hearing protection on. It sounded louder then when I fired 12ga 3.5 out of my shotgun in a indoor concrete lined range. i could barely hear The shooter next to me who had a nice ar15 with no brake. I have heard all sorts of big caliber rounds before, but nothing was even close to that .308. It had a really strange muzzle brake that looked like someones idea of what a brake shold be. It was around 3 to 4 inches long, with ports that opened the side of the brake up right at the muzzle. there were no ports in the top of the brake.

groundhog34
January 1, 2009, 09:21 PM
good quality muzzle breaks cost about $200.00 installed it is IMPORTANT to have the work done by a quality gunsmith. The rifle will be a moderate amount louder but recoil is reduce by: 300 Weatherby mag to 30.06, 7 mag to 243, 338 Win mag to 30.06. the do not reduce accuriticy because the bullet never touches the break. Get one do't listen to all of the macho men here they are not you.

hotlead
January 1, 2009, 09:44 PM
I like the idea of a BOSS/CR. Sounds like something fun to tinker with. Elktrout, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the looks of brakes on rifles.

kershner13
January 1, 2009, 11:30 PM
I put a brake on my .308 and it made the gun sound like a .50bmg going off... that being said it took the recoil down to a .243. so you have to decide if you want to see the bullet hit, or be able to hear for the next hour..... i had my barrel threaded and brake installed with a cap for storage for $185. I have a NEF Survivor, with an aftermarket barrel that is 26" and is a heavy barrell. I did however notice that my bullet drops off faster after about 300 yards. it definitly lost some velocity after the brake. hope this helps alittle.

45crittergitter
January 9, 2009, 08:08 PM
I've never needed one, but my rifles only go up to a 9# .416. Maybe you need one on bigger guns if they're too light.

Acera
January 9, 2009, 11:15 PM
I did however notice that my bullet drops off faster after about 300 yards. it definitly lost some velocity after the brake.

Could someone explain how this is possible? Since the bullet does not touch the brake, what makes it slow faster. Inquiring mind wants to know.

GregGry did the brake look like the top one in this picture? That is kind of what I had in mind from your description. These are Vandenbergs out of Clear Lake Texas. Real good brake, I have one on a .300 Win Mag.

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr301/300Acera/Rifle5.jpg?t=1231557217

Here is another brake, from the BOHICA website. This thing tames the .50 BMG down to a manageable level.

http://www.bohicaarms.com/gallery/pics/IMG_1757.jpg

GregGry
January 10, 2009, 12:03 AM
It looked something like that, except the holes that are forward of the first set (closest to the barrel) weren't there. I sort of buggered up my previous post. What I ment to say was:

It had two holes that were at the beginning of the brake, near the muzzle end of the barrel. then the 3 to 4 or so remaining inches had no holes.

I have never seen a brake like the one the guy had on his rifle. It didn't seem to do anything since the recoil seemed to be way more then it should be, and it was insanely loud.

benEzra
January 10, 2009, 12:32 AM
The main concern I have is with the effect the blow back has on my ears and those of anyone standing near. Even with ear protection I have been around some of these that still hurt my ears. That is the ONLY reason I have not had one of these put on my rifles so far.
Have you tried shooting with both good foam plugs + good earmuffs? That may bring the perceived volume down to a more reasonable level and allow you to use the brake.

Brian41
January 10, 2009, 12:48 AM
put one on my sks when i added a tapco t6 stock to reduce muzzle climb and recoil increase due to the lighter stock.

deerhunter61
January 19, 2009, 09:20 AM
Well based on the info you all have provided I think I am going to try a couple of different things. I think I am going to put a good recoil pad on one and see what that does to reduce the felt recoil. If that does enough I am going to have this done to my other two rifles. If it does not do enough I am going to have a muzzlebrake put on one of the other rifles and see what it does to help.

Thanks for all you advice.

If anyone else has any more info....

mljdeckard
March 20, 2009, 01:16 AM
Bryan, that's weird, I just put the same kit on my Yugo, I thought recoil was about the same, and noise seemed to go down somewhat, I guess because the pressure is split in so many directions.

SwampWolf
March 20, 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know why the adjustable (you can turn it on or off) brake Savage provides isn't more popular. One of those few cases where you "can have your cake and it it too." Like elktrout though, I think all brakes are a lot less than pretty.

Because the Savage brake can be turned off or on, it's an interesting rifle to experiment with to see if the brake has any effect on the ballistics and shooting characteristics of a particular rifle. I've shot my Savage 116 SE, chambered in .338 Winchester Magnum with the brake set in both positions and have found no differences in point of impacts or accuracy in either. I have never chronographed the rifle so there may well be a difference, however small, in the velocity between the two positions.

deerhunter61
March 21, 2009, 06:47 AM
SwampWolf,

Does the Savage brake work as effectively as traditional brakes as far as reducing recoil?

Medusa
March 21, 2009, 08:51 AM
I remember the occasion when I shot the .338LM TRG-42 with brake. Inside the van. With the brake inside the van too. The owner said he thought the windows would blow off, I felt like I was punched in the face. Confined spaces, big calibres and muzzlebrakes do not mix very well.

But it wasn't nearly as bad as shooting a light-fifty in indoors range, with a wall 3 feet right side to the muzzle.

JWarren
March 21, 2009, 09:09 AM

I had a lot of trouble finding a brake for my LR-308 with .920 Bull Barrel. However, I just had a machinist thread and install the JP Enterprises "Ben Cooley" Tactical Brake on mine. It claims that the O.D. is .925.

Installed on my barrel, it practically looks seamless. There IS a small ridge from the .920 barrel to the .925 brake, but you can't see it.

I've no idea how it will change the recoil of the firearm. In my opinion, a 308 really doesn't need a brake-- like MOST 30 caliber or below rifles. I like muzzle attachments for the primary reason of protecting the crown of my firearms.

I remember the occasion when I shot the .338LM TRG-42 with brake. Inside the van. With the brake inside the van too.

That's not something you hear every day....

:)

-- John

moooose102
March 21, 2009, 09:54 AM
i have one on my marlin 1895g. i had a Gentry "quiet muzzle brake" installed. the idea behind it is the ports are drilled at an angle facing away from the shooter, thus directing the gasses, and noise forward. i only shoot in the woods, so i can not comment on what it would be like shooting it under a canopy. but out in the woods, it does not seem to be a lot louder that it was before i had the brake installed. as for recoil reduction, YES, it does work! if you have a rifle that kicks to hard, i would FIRST have a GOOD recoil pad installed. if that does not do the trick, then do the muzzle brake. as for people thinking i am a sissy for having a muzzle brake installed, i am not worried about it. if they want to beat their brains out, go for it. personally, pain is not my freind. i have way to much of it every day.

H2O MAN
March 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
M14 US Coast Guard / Navy Muzzle Brake from SEI. Click on the image for a demonstration video.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/M14_USCG_Muzzle_Brake.lg.jpg (http://www.smithenterprise.com/spec/SEI_M14_USCG_MB-1.mpg)

Acera
March 21, 2009, 11:46 AM

A good, competent gunsmith with experience in making them, will make one to match the size, contour and color of your barrel exactly if you like. Only a thin seam should be visible where the two meet. Now it takes time and effort, a lot of them find it easier to get one off the rack and make it work, telling the customer that is the way it is.

It all about who you use, and how they view their business.

onehitwonder
March 21, 2009, 03:44 PM
magna brake can install there brake on any firearm as long as the bbl is big enough. very small thin bbl's can become an issue. then they can port them. Any reduction in recoil can make someone more accurate.
I have a Remington 300win mag Rocky Mountain elk federation special with a magna brake, recoils like a 22-250 but a must for ear protection. I have a browning a bolt 300wsm with the boss set up. Recoils like a 243 and a must for ear protection. Magna brake reports like 45% reduction, boss and Savage systems about 30% I think. My cousin has a Remington sendero in 300win mag with a magna brake. recoils like a 223

jon8777
March 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
Anyone use a Miculek break?

SwampWolf
March 21, 2009, 08:07 PM
Quote:
I remember the occasion when I shot the .338LM TRG-42 with brake. Inside the van. With the brake inside the van too.

Actually, I don't think you'd hear much at all after a couple of those...

SwampWolf
March 21, 2009, 08:17 PM
SwampWolf,

Does the Savage brake work as effectively as traditional brakes as far as reducing recoil?

The Savage brake certainly curbs the recoil of the .338 Magnum on my rifle as compared with the "no brake" setting. As to how it compares to other ("traditional") brakes is hard to say. Recoil perception can be such a subjective question and its singular as well as cumulative effect might well differ from person to person. But, my guess is that the Savage brake is very much the equivalent of more "traditional" brakes.

Medusa
March 22, 2009, 03:04 PM
Actually, I don't think you'd hear much at all after a couple of those...

Well, actually, I was wearing muffs. And it was a part of educating myself in the area of asymmetric/unconventional warfare. It was quite fun though.

WardenWolf
March 22, 2009, 03:48 PM
I swear by muzzle brakes on some designs. My PSL has one pinned on, and it, combined with other things, makes it very pleasant to shoot. I'm installing one in my Saiga .223 to prevent it from bump firing (I use it as a hunting rifle. Having it double tap whenever you ease onto the trigger is a bad thing). I'd like one for my M91/30, but only if I could find one that installs without requiring I permanently alter the gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzlebrakes....?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!