General and specific ????'S

PDA

RB98SS
December 30, 2008, 04:08 PM
I've posted a few questions regarding using lead in 44 and 357 and have received some great feedback which I appreciate immensely. It has however, made me wonder if I'm making the right decisions in regards to components.

I've been loading 44 mag for a while now and have been using 200gr RNFP bullets from Penn. They seem to work well with some leading but nothing that I would call excessive.

Much of the feedback I get pertaining to the 44 and 357 lead bullet selections I've made suggest that If I use a non bevel base bullet I would lessen that build up. I want to use magnum powders with the bullets I choose and the ones I have are rated up to 1600fps according to the manufacturer. I don't want to push them that hard but somewhere in the area of 1200fps I would think.

So here is my general question. Is there a real advantage to using a non bevel based bullet in these two calibers? Most of the available bullets from many manufacturers have the bevel base.

My more specific question is how do you guys like LiL Gun in 44 and 357?

Thanks again, Gary

If you enjoyed reading about "General and specific ????'S" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 30, 2008, 04:21 PM
The theory is that a bevel base bullet simply cannot seal the bore as it should for some distance, until it becomes a full diameter bearing surface.

What is left hanging out in the breeze, (or hot powder gas as it were) is exposed to melting, and allowing gas to drive or wedge between it and the bore causing gas cutting.
And otherwise do unspeakable things.

It is a fact that flat-base bullets will not lead as easy as bevel-base.

But it is also a fact that everyone with a Magna Casting Machine only makes bevel-base bullets because they fall out of the molds better.

I guess all I can say is try them and see, or start casting yourself.

rcmodel

ReloaderFred
December 30, 2008, 05:35 PM
While Magma does offer flat base molds, few commercial casters buy them. Most production reloaders like the bevelled base because it facilitates feeding into the case when loading.

I prefer bullets with flat bases myself. For one thing, it gives a little longer bearing surface. Another is the gases aren't swirling around the bevel. I also seem to get less leading with them, but that's not really an issue for me anyway.

As for Hodgdon's Lil'Gun, I use it in heavy (175-185 grain) bullet loads in .357 Magnum Carbines. For that purpose, it's the cat's meow. I haven't tried it in my .44 Magnums yet, but plan to in the future.

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "General and specific ????'S" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!