AAAAARGH.. My precious H4350

PDA

Afy
January 1, 2009, 03:01 PM
Was changing powders in the DPS3 while talking to the wife.

Forgot to close the dump ramp... and lost half a pound of the super difficult to find and expensive H4350...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

And I was wondering what the loud swish was... powder scattering on the floor.

If you enjoyed reading about "AAAAARGH.. My precious H4350" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
January 1, 2009, 04:13 PM
Chalk it up to lesson learned, you'll never do that again. Sorry for the loss, just make good use of the rest.

NCsmitty

rfwobbly
January 1, 2009, 05:50 PM
Would you feel any better if the wife was distracted while talking to you and vacuumed up 1/2 pound of powder?

Not to worry. Christmas is coming.

lgbloader
January 1, 2009, 06:26 PM
AFY,

Sorry to hear that, Mate. If it makes you feel better, I've done that with My RCBS Chargemaster Combo... While I in the middle of giving my buddy a lesson on Hand Loading!!! I had just finished saying, "Keep a sharp eye in everything you do, because you never know when something can go wrong. If you don't, you may as well buy factory ammo!" and then I poured the powder into the hopper and then out the side and onto the bench because I forgot to close the dump ramp!!!!!

Walkalong
January 1, 2009, 06:34 PM
That is like the time I told the lady "Don't worry, as long as I don't touch that wire, and ground myself at the same time, I'll be OK.....about 20 seconds later.....:o

Youch....

Afy
January 2, 2009, 12:18 PM
I know it wont happen again.

Hell of a way to loose the powder. But hey at least no one was hurt....

USSR
January 2, 2009, 01:19 PM
That is like the time I told the lady "Don't worry, as long as I don't touch that wire, and ground myself at the same time, I'll be OK.....about 20 seconds later.....

Anthony,

I guess that accounts for your electrifying personality.:)

Don

taliv
January 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
heh, ussr

bummer, afy. i love h4350. it works great in my 6mmXC but i still don't understand why you dislike VV

dwave
January 2, 2009, 01:39 PM
You kind off sound like Golem from Lord of the Rings:

MY PRECIOUS!

jhansman
January 2, 2009, 06:31 PM
Yep, some mistakes only get made once, and if you're lucky (and you are), you live to tell about it.

Walkalong
January 2, 2009, 07:08 PM
Yep, some mistakes only get made onceI wish I could tell you I have had the S*** shocked out of me only once. 277 is a B****. ;)

Dumping powder is a little less dangerous. Heartbreaking, but not dangerous. :)

chrisgo
January 3, 2009, 01:28 AM
Found a heck of a deal, I bought 3 unopened 1lb cans of 4350 today for $8 each. Probably 10 years old but still good as new. Guy had 3 cans of 4198 and 1can of 4227 for same price but I did not need them.

ArchAngelCD
January 3, 2009, 03:54 AM
chrisgo,
He's not going to find a deal anywhere near as good where he lives. They just don't sell Hodgdon powders much in France. Afy is so upset because he was lucky just to find that powder to begin with. (not to mention how much he paid for it!!!)

Sorry to hear you lost half your powder Afy. I know how much that hurt!

Afy
January 3, 2009, 07:09 AM
Taliv,

I do not dislike VV powders. Just want to see what H4350 and H4831SC can do.
Am upset about the powder because it was super expensive, and had to be imported specially, that required jumping through a ton of hoops.
I wish I could get powder at $8 a lb. :):)

Dwave... my wife says the same thing. Because I spent two days staring at the can... before deciding which load to start at. Am going to be trying out 40.7 gr (Zak's recipie), with 139 scenars today.
The most popular recipie I have found seems to be 42.5 gr which QL states at being at extremely high pressure.

qajaq59
January 3, 2009, 09:08 AM
Ahhhh, Mr. Murphy rides again. It doesn't take much of a distraction to mess us up when we're loading.

dwave
January 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
Dwave... my wife says the same thing.

When I read the title I couldn't help it. :)

I also use H4350, thankfully I am able to get it locally. I use it in two rifles: 7.5 Swiss and 7.62x54r.

Afy
January 4, 2009, 10:27 AM
Well both loads were sub MOA. However shooting at an open air range with sub zero temperatures can be trying. :( Should've worn gloves.

Both sets of groups came in at between .5 inches and .7 inches.
The best one would've been about .3 had I not pulled shot number 3. Which opened it out to about .9 inches.
Also fired off about 20 shots with 40.6 of VV N550 at the start.

Realised that it takes about 10 shots for the barrel to settle down... after a deep clean. I.e Robala Solo Mil, Black Powder Residue remover, Hoppes #9 and brass brush. All in all about 40 patches...

Another observation H4350 is dirtier than the VV line of powders.
Camera is with my FIL... otherwise would've posted pictures.
Next trip to the range... 14th of Feb :(:(:(:(

~z
January 4, 2009, 10:44 AM
"I know it wont happen again."
Yea right! I have done the same thing 3 times now, however, mine just spills on the bench and I can scoop it up and load it. Maybe if it cost me more I would learn.
~z

Strongbad
January 5, 2009, 02:14 AM
"I know it wont happen again."
Yea right! I have done the same thing 3 times now, however, mine just spills on the bench and I can scoop it up and load it. Maybe if it cost me more I would learn.
~z

lol, when I read the first post I said the same thing in my head. Luckily I've gotten obsessive about checking the door now and I haven't "learned" in quite a while.

The Deer Hunter
January 5, 2009, 11:03 AM
Spilling powder is inevitable. When I first started re loading, someone told me that it was not a matter of if I spilled powder all over the place, but when.

ArchAngelCD
January 6, 2009, 05:29 AM
Afy,
Many of the Hodgdon powders will be a little dirty until you get up near the Max charges and pressures. When you are up near the top they become very clean. (like most powders do) I use a lot of H4350 in my 30-06 rounds and it cleans up near the top end in that caliber too.

Afy
January 6, 2009, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the tip... will check it out when I do more loads next month.

If you enjoyed reading about "AAAAARGH.. My precious H4350" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!