Ftf? ***?

PDA

dev_null
January 15, 2003, 07:16 PM
That's Failure to Fire, not Feed...

Color me NOT pleased. Submitted for your consideration:

Bought a T/C Encore a month or so ago. Came with a .223 barrel. Shot several hundred rounds of .223 through it just fine. Found a deal on a LNIB .309 barrel, bought it and a Weaver 4x pistol (long relief) scope. I went to the range tonight with that and 30 rounds of milsurp .308. Note that I have not shot any of the ammo from this batch before.

Loaded the first round, cocked, aimed, squeezed. CLICK
***, thinks I, and cocked and squeezed again. CLICK

Waited a minute in case it was a hangfire, then pulled the round. Primer is dented, and to my inexperienced eye it does not look like a light strike.

Loaded a second round (same batch). CLICK
Wait, cock, squeeze. CLICK

grrr....

So, I'm guessing my next steps are to go back to the range with my FAL and that same ammo, and see what happens. I'll also buy a box of brand new factory .308 and try it in the T/C.

Ah, well, at least the Kimber still puts 40 of 50 rounds within 2" of the bullseye, even when I'm out of practice and p*ssed off!

-0-

If you enjoyed reading about "Ftf? ***?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Captal_de_Buch
January 15, 2003, 07:46 PM
Ah, well, at least the Kimber still puts 40 of 50 rounds within 2" of the bullseye, even when I'm out of practice and p*ssed off!

If you practice a lot and shoot the right ammo that Kimber should put them all in exactly same hole at 10 yards.

Sell the TC.. Buy AR15s and 1100's, then take them and the Kimber to 3 gun matches.. It's good your your soul.

Your humble 14th century mercenary and 3 gun addict.
Captal de Buch

:cool:

dev_null
January 15, 2003, 09:17 PM
Oh, it would... if my eyes were better, my hand steadier, I hadn't let 3 months go by since my last trip to the range, and I wasn't PO'd. ;)

Three gun? I'm already doing four gun... SASS (c'boy action shooting -- two pistolas, a rifle and a shotgun).

-0-

Lee F
January 15, 2003, 10:21 PM
I can't speak from experience on the Encore, but have seen first hand several Contenders that would not fire any round with mil-spec primers. Usually resolved with a stronger set of springs.

dev_null
January 16, 2003, 10:37 AM
Aha! Thanks, Lee.

I'll be buying some new factory .308 and trying that in the T/C. At the same time I'll try the milsurp in the FAL and see what happens. Hopefully I didn't buy 500 rounds of junk.

-0-

MarineTech
January 16, 2003, 11:36 AM
dev, I've seen Encores have the same problem with hard military primers. A friend here in Maine had the same problem with some surplus Portugese .308 that he bought and his Encore. The ammo would fire fine in his AR10 and M1A, but he couldn't get a single round to go off with the Encore. After that, he started buying S&B .308 for plinking with the Encore and the problem did not reappear. I think you'll find that many hunting rifles are going to have light strikes on surplus military ammo. Especially the older ammo.

dev_null
January 16, 2003, 11:40 AM
MT, what's puzzling me (or part of it anyway) is that it's a good hard strike on the primer, damn near punctured it, in fact!

Well, we'll see...

-0-

Onslaught
January 17, 2003, 10:39 AM
Is it safe to shoot NATO spec 7.62x51 in a .308 chambered weapon? The general consensus is that you can't fire 5.56 ammo in a .223 chambered weapon because pressures are higher. I have no idea if ".308" is the same way or not, I was just curious.

Either way, I wouldn't want to shoot any .308 through a pistol! :what:

Heck, I'm not even THAT crazy about firing my lightweight .308 bolt action rifle!

Hope you get it figured out.

KMKeller
January 17, 2003, 10:58 AM
I hate to do this, but I can't resist.

Found a deal on a LNIB .309 barrel, bought it and a Weaver 4x pistol (long relief) scope. I went to the range tonight with that and 30 rounds of milsurp .308.

Wrong ammo... although I've never heard of a .309.:neener:

All kidding aside, sound like bad ammo and I believe that MarineTech has the right of it.

MarineTech
January 17, 2003, 11:15 AM
Is it safe to shoot NATO spec 7.62x51 in a .308 chambered weapon?

It is with the Encores. Both the Encore pistols and rifles are built extremely strong to take the number of cartridges that they do. The Encore can fire the .300 WinMag just by changing the barrel (Barrel size and profile are the same from .308 to .300WM). I don't think the Encores going to bothered by a slightly hotter .308 load if it can handle the .300WM. There are even smaller ammunition manufacturers that make really hot ammo to take advantage of the strength of the Encores.

dev_null
January 17, 2003, 11:18 AM
KMK: You know what's really bad is that I originally typed ".306" and then tried to correct it. That's what I get for trying to multitask at work... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I bought some Winchester "white box" .308 and am hoping that that steep-@$$ driveway to the NRA range is free of snow by this afternoon.

-0-

dev_null
January 17, 2003, 05:09 PM
Ran a box of Winchester "white box" through it and it handled just fine. Got a bit of a wallop, too! :D

I had a round of Radway Green (not the same milsurp I tried the other night), tried that for research purposes (aka sh*ts & giggles)... Fired just fine, but it doesn't want to extract. I'm gonna have to take the barrel off -- I would anyway to clean it -- and push it out from the muzzle.

Lessons learned:

1. No milsurp 7.62 in the T/C.

2. A 4x scope is a tad too much on a handgun, even a T/C, especially since it's not like I'm out hunting elk with it. Might have to buy something smaller. (Anyone want to buy a LNIB Weaver 4x long eye relief?)

-0-

MarineTech
January 17, 2003, 09:14 PM
You're right dev, 4X is a bit much for an Encore. I'd make you an offer on it, but I just put the same scope on my Marlin Guide gun about 3 months ago. I've found that 2X magnification is just about right, or a good (low MOA dot) Red Dot site is great option too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ftf? ***?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!