4473 , record keeping etc. ????

PDA

Gunfighter123
January 2, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hello and Happy New Year All,
Well , I searched for a ansewer but after 20+ pages --- I couldn't find it ---- SO --- How long does a Non-FFL holder have to keep a written record of who they bought/sold a firearm to.
I've lived in Illinois most of my life and have had a IL. gun card {FOID} for over 30 years.
About 10 years ago --- the IL. gun card stated that you must keep a record of any sale/buying of a firearm for FIVE years. Then in the last ten yrs. or so --- the IL. FOID card states you must keep records for TEN years.
So I ask ------- IF and a big IF ---- I sold/bought a firearm in Illinois over TEN years ago --- it is LEGAL for me to not keep a record of who I bought/sold it to ?????

What about Federal laws ???? How long must a non-FFL keep a record of a firearm ??? What would/could occure IF and again, a BIG IF, a LE agency asked me about a firearm that was in my name BUT that I already sold it {after 5/10 years} and I could NOT tell them WHO I sold/bought it from ?????

Thanks for the information ---- GF123

If you enjoyed reading about "4473 , record keeping etc. ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
January 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
What about Federal laws ???? How long must a non-FFL keep a record of a firearm ???

No such federal requirement.

Gunfighter123
January 2, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hi GG,

Thanks for the quick reply -- what about where you live in Pa ??
Does each state have a law on how long you must keep records??
Thanks Pard --- GF123

wildbilll
January 2, 2009, 04:01 PM
Interesting that the penalty for non-compliance is a misdemeanor. Statute of limitations clock runs out in a couple of years.

General Geoff
January 2, 2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the quick reply -- what about where you live in Pa ??
Does each state have a law on how long you must keep records??
Thanks Pard --- GF123

There is no such law in Pennsylvania (though handguns must be transferred through an FFL). I'd venture to guess that most states have no such record keeping requirements for purchases/exchanges of firearms between private individuals.

If you enjoyed reading about "4473 , record keeping etc. ????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!