Basic Swis Army Knife

PDA

PATH
December 26, 2002, 12:25 AM
I have found that my basic Swiss army knife does most of what I need to do in everyday use. What do you folks think of this venerable old standard.

If you enjoyed reading about "Basic Swis Army Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
762x51
December 26, 2002, 12:41 AM
I agree. Most of the daily knife chores can be accomplished with a good old SAK. I will say however, if you get the chance to play with any custom knives out there, you probably wont want to use your SAK anymore. ;)

Ron L
December 26, 2002, 12:47 AM
I carry one on my keychain every day. I'm constantly being asked for scissors or tweezers or a knife. It's amazing how many times each day I'm digging in the pocket for it for one reason or another.

sm
December 26, 2002, 12:50 AM
My current EDC is the small (toothpick, tweezer, spear and nail file) can fit on a key ring.

All I ever carried for years was the yellow trapper by Case

Afield carry the one I bet your referring to--general chores, bottle can opener--the trapper was for game and fowl.

Alot of knife for the money, handy quick and versatile.
I have kept one in vehicle for 25 yrs, heck 10 yrs ago I used it while on a scenic drive with mom...guess what mom HAD to have..guess whom still has and uses it...sibs thought I nuts...Mom corrected them...btw...she even used it today;)

ahenry
December 26, 2002, 01:24 AM
A good Swiss Army knife is hard to beat. That said, I do own more than just a few knives and I have yet to own one that does everything perfectly. A couple that come close, but no knife will do everything.

sam3
December 26, 2002, 01:32 AM
i don't leave home without one.

Captain Bligh
December 26, 2002, 01:37 PM
I have about three different SAKs. I like Victorinox. My favorite is the Executive but I also have several Classics. I always have a SAK in my pocket but sometimes I also carry a Spyderco Delica as my lil back-up knife.

RJ

mikemck
December 26, 2002, 06:19 PM
I prefer the Victorinox brand, but the Wife gave me a Wenger Tradesman for Christmas, and it's not bad, overall.
There are some subtle differences, but nothing too drastic.

I had asked for a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker, after I somehow lost my standard Tinker, but she could not find any locally and it was too late to order on-line.
Being that she does not have a "trained eye" like I do, she bought the Wenger and hoped for the best ;)

labgrade
December 26, 2002, 08:48 PM
I've a Classic (?) always in my pocket - the one that's about 2" long = scissors, blade, toothepick, tweezers, neal file, eiother the Huneter or Hunstman.

One has a bit more stuff, the other a lockblade & a bit bigger. Either will & have done elk.

Like my knives, but not a snob - except for the "lowly" SAW.

Oh, & make mine Victorinox. Wengers suck. ;)

Line Rider
December 26, 2002, 09:00 PM
I love my SA Ranger and Soilder.

Prodigalshooter
December 26, 2002, 09:11 PM
I feel undressed without a SAK in my pocket. I always have an Executive with me, but often add a larger model too. Although I have lots of knives, the SAK is much easier on the sheeple when you pull it out to cut something. One time a co-worker said, upon seeing the serrated Delica I was using, " wow, a Rambo knife!",
the sad part is that she wasn't being sarcastic:rolleyes:

Penman
December 26, 2002, 10:31 PM
Carry a Victorinox Officer's Model daily.

bad_dad_brad
December 26, 2002, 10:58 PM
I prefer the Wegner. Seems the springs are stronger and the blade is sharpened easier. The SAK manufacturers needs to make a small general purpose knife with a locking blade though. Ever have a blade come down on your fingers? Ouch.

Ron L
December 26, 2002, 11:42 PM
Victorinox makes a few models with locking blades, the Nomad and Hunter, for example. Wenger at least has the Ranger with a locking blade, but these are the mid-size knives. None of the smaller "pocket" or keychain knives that I saw had any locking device on them.

That's why I also carry a Spyderco as well as my SAK. My Spydercos see more cutting use then the SAK.

Navy joe
December 27, 2002, 12:58 AM
I carry a Tinker? I think everywhere. It's the smallest one that has both blades, scissors and magnifying glass which is what I considerSAK essentials. Victorinox only, never owned a Wenger. Just got fo christmas one of the lock blade models, I think the blade would break long before the lock would, very nice as close to an everything knife as I have seen. Unless of course you get a Swisstool...

trapshooter
December 27, 2002, 01:34 AM
Victorinox. I think it's the executive. Long blade, short blade, file, orange peeler (handy!), scissors, tweezer, toothpick. Can carry this in any mode of dress, from a tux to shorts. :cool:

ruger357
December 27, 2002, 08:58 AM
I also agree.

HS/LD
December 27, 2002, 02:50 PM
I carry a little Victornox with several blades etc.

HS/LD

Jim V
December 27, 2002, 04:44 PM
I always have a couple of knives on my person and one of those is my Tinker. I use it much more than I do the others.

STW
January 1, 2003, 01:10 AM
I require a SAK with sissors and a blade. I carried an executive model long enough for the red grip to get thin enough to see through. Then the grip fell off. Now I carry a boy scout version that replaces the cork screw with a phillips head screw driver. It's just a bit large for formal dress however (not that I let that stop me).

deputy tom
January 2, 2003, 02:38 AM
I've got a few Victorinox SAK's that I rotate for EDC.Great knives for not alot of money.tom.

HeadCleaver
January 8, 2003, 11:54 AM
I am partial to Victorinox. When in the field I like to keep the SAK Explorer handy. I bought 2 SAK Boyscout Adventurers for my sons for Christmas.

hso
January 8, 2003, 08:22 PM
Knife manufacturers all "wish" that they had this knife in their stable. More of them are sold than any other knife heard of in the world and with good reason. They represent great value, good quality, and good service to the owner.

I 'spose that's why I have 3.

Kahr carrier
January 8, 2003, 09:44 PM
There great I like the Champion Model myself:D

SteelyDan
January 9, 2003, 02:15 AM
There was a show on the History Channel (?) tonight on edged weapons. I was only half paying attention, but I think they said Victorinox sells 26 million knives a year. Holy smokes!

hso
January 9, 2003, 09:18 AM
Yep, and if you add the Wegners in there you get a truely astounding number. The problem with the THC show was that it neglected over half of the knife contributions, and almost all of the american contributions, made in cutlery.

igor
January 23, 2003, 07:17 AM
I had the very basic Wenger model thru most of my childhood - did everything needed. Noticing the EDC need for a general tool, I tried the Gerber tool for a while. Broke the pliers, no good. Got replacement, still loose locking, no good.

Got the Victorinox Swisstool. Very good and useful, I don't leave home without it. Closed it measures perfect for most tekko technique and packs enough weight for it too.

Joe Demko
January 23, 2003, 10:33 AM
Have a Swisstool, an Executive, an Executive-sized one whose name I forget that about a jillion tools in it, a locking model w/ a saw and corkscrew that is my primary hunting knife (can be used to open both the deer and and the celebratory bottle), and their single "tactical" model (similar to the other lockblades except the 1/2 serrated blade can be opened one-handed). Also have the Wenger equivalent of the Executive around here somewhere. Have lost or given away countless more various SAKs. They are, IMO, far more useful and cost effective than most all of the various taktikewl knives on the market.

jmbg29
January 23, 2003, 09:08 PM
I put my Ranger on top of the TV whenever McGuyver is on...so it can recharge. :D

BNWGS80
January 26, 2003, 11:49 AM
I have a SAK in every room and in every bag. I was carrying the tinker most of the time in my pocket. Since Christmas I have been carrying the cybertool. The reason is the interchangeable screwdriver bits. I work in a hospital as a bio tech. I now just carry most of the time the cyber, small wire cutters , small crescent, and long needle nose pliers, and sfe2 in my scrub pockets.A small roll of tape slides over the SAK.

I just need to find a good source for more bits for it.

Cheers,

ts

Lone Star
January 27, 2003, 09:54 AM
I have roughly a dozen SAK's in various models, using whichever is suited to the task at hand. A SwissChamp goes in my briefcase; usually an Executive, Spartan, or Soldier in my pants. Most are Vic's, but I have a few Wengers, which are now better than they used to be.

Victorinox's USA reps, Swiss Army Brands, will replace the handle scale that wore through or came off of one member's knife posted above. Probably at no charge.

The custom knife (or good factory-made sheath knife, like Puma or Fallkniven) doesn't REPLACE the SAK; it augments it. One does what the other isn't well suited for.

Beat feet over to www.knifeforums.com They have many posts on SAK's in the Survival Forum, and a whole forum devoted to the Secret Order of the SAK.

Lone Star

labgrade
January 27, 2003, 08:02 PM
"The custom knife (or good factory-made sheath knife, like Puma or Fallkniven) doesn't REPLACE the SAK; it augments it. One does what the other isn't well suited for."

There ya go.

Crimper-D
January 29, 2003, 01:24 AM
Carry either a Tinker or a Fisherman SAK daily. got a couple if the little penknives that occasionally ride a vestpocket.
Had a sidelock 'Centurian' = 4 3/8" unopened, so slightly longer blade than the Tinker & single blade with the usual tools. The Trailmaster is a lockblade too - has a saw blade as well as the spearpoint. Lost the Centurian, got another orderd:D

Still Learning
January 30, 2003, 08:04 PM
Even carry it with Benchmade (AFCK) folder. My best SAK story: Once when checking the cattle I came across my brother who was deer hunting on the far corner of the pasture. He had killed a little buck and was looking more than a little embarrassed. "I forgot my knife." We field dressed the 90 something pound whitetail with the SAK. Not ideal for the job but was up to it.

Malone LaVeigh
February 1, 2003, 04:41 PM
I was given a Gerber tool last year and have largely put the Tinker aside for it. I do miss the saw blade, though. And the scissors on the SAK are better than the Gerber.

I carried a SAK for years as a stagehand and the saw blade came in handy a lot. We would often have to trim a 1X4 in a hurry. By the time someone on the crew got to the toolbox and came back with a saw or a cordless, I'd usually have the thing finished.

If you enjoyed reading about "Basic Swis Army Knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!