question about red around primer

PDA

firstg19
January 2, 2009, 01:13 PM
I just picked up a box of .223 PMC 55 grain rounds from cabelas. I noticed every load has red around the primer. I haven't checked yet, but I could have swore that when i read the book, "ABC's of Reloading", it said that if you noticed red, that it meant the primer pocket was too worn out and it was time to ditch the case. Now I'm confused, could someone enlighten me. also, sorry if this is a dumb question.

If you enjoyed reading about "question about red around primer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveno
January 2, 2009, 01:17 PM
it is a sealant against moisture. personally I don't think it is needed because the primer joint is really tight

The Bushmaster
January 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
Just sealent...Most European manufacturers and some U.S.(Winchester on ocassion) use a red sealent.

ReloaderFred
January 2, 2009, 02:23 PM
+1, it's primer pocket sealer. You'll run across it in a lot of military loadings.

Hope this helps.

Fred

dwave
January 2, 2009, 05:28 PM
I have 55gr .223PMC ammo too and it is sealant like everyone else has said.

rcmodel
January 2, 2009, 05:34 PM
Black soot indicates a primer leak due to excess pressure.

Red = Good
Black = Bad

rc

The Bushmaster
January 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
rcmodel...I've seen green, red and BLACK sealent on the primers. Especially European ammunition.

depoloni
January 2, 2009, 06:26 PM
Black SEALANT good, black SOOT not so good...

The latter will have left matching black on the bolt face. :)

rfwobbly
January 2, 2009, 06:55 PM
It's either sealant, or your new ammo is already mad at you.

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "question about red around primer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!