Just back from the Range

PDA

PecosRiverM
January 2, 2009, 06:32 PM
I was at the range today playing with my new toys:)

I clocked my rounds at: (7mm Rem. Mag.)

3099 - 3182 for Remington Core - Lokt's
3149 - 3251 For Winchster Power Points

Looking at Hodgdon's web site (my books are at Dad's) max loads give between 2859 - 3081 f/s.

I know factories use different powder than we do. I'm tring to hit 3160 - 3180 as that seems to be my sweet spot.

How do I do this without going over the max load?:confused:

*I was using factory 150 gr loads*

If you enjoyed reading about "Just back from the Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCsmitty
January 2, 2009, 07:59 PM
Your numbers for factory 150's seem to meet or exceed the printed average from the factory ballistic charts. At least the ones that I have.
Proper procedure for reloading is to start low and work up to your rifle's maximum without exceeding published Maximum from the Hodgdon site or your manual.
Maybe your rifle has a "fast barrel" and will give you what you want at safe pressure levels, and that includes accuracy.
Watch for the usual high pressure signs such as sticky or hard bolt lift and flattened primers or cratering in the primer.
Be safe and do not exceed published Max.

NCsmitty

PecosRiverM
January 3, 2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks smitty.

After having some time (sleep) to think about it. Is there some other reason the chrony might give faster than normal readings (consistently)?

I was shooting two rifles:
Remington Model 700 .308
Remington Model 700 7mm Mag

Chrony was set about 18' from bench (max cord lenght).

The reading from the .308 were:
2774 - 2822 Remington Core-Lokt
2834 - 2880 Winchester Power Point

with 150gr loads.

ArchAngelCD
January 6, 2009, 05:06 AM
I'm wondering what you mean when you said 3160 to 3180 fps is the sweet spot. How can you know the sweet spot of that rifle with your reload until you test a range of charges with those components and find what the most accurate combination is. (that's what I call the sweet spot) I load a lot of 30-06 rounds and I've found my most accurate rounds aren't those that are the highest velocity rounds. Most of the times they are close to the highest but not all the way up. I'm sure a lot of reloaders find this to be true.

NCsmitty
January 6, 2009, 08:45 AM
After having some time (sleep) to think about it. Is there some other reason the chrony might give faster than normal readings (consistently)?

My initial thoughts were that maybe your Chrony was just reading high, but your 308 numbers are well within normal parameters. So it may well be that you do have a good 7MM REmag rifle and it may respond well to handloads in the same manner.
As far as the "sweet spot", it really is the balance that you achieve with a particular bullet and load, that gives you the best accuracy at a reasonably high velocity.
Accuracy is priority #1 and velocity ranks #2. Rarely, you can achieve both, but most often it will be a compromise.

NCsmitty

PecosRiverM
January 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm wondering what you mean when you said 3160 to 3180 fps is the sweet spot.

I guess to my thinking (wrong I bet) since that was my best grouping. It would be a place to work around with reloads. I know I need to Start at the mim. and work up.

Accuracy is priority #1 and velocity ranks #2.

This is true..I'd rather put 5 in the same hole than 5 running 4000f/s.

ArchAngelCD
January 7, 2009, 04:06 AM
PecosRiverM,
I wasn't jumping on you, I was just not sure what you meant.

A certain velocity from accurate factory ammo doesn't tell you what velocity you should try and achieve from your reloads unless you are using the same components they use. You will find when you reload your accuracy will probably be better than theirs but only after you put in the time.

If the charge range is say 46gr to 49gr load up some rounds increasing each batch by .5gr. When you get a very accurate load you can go up and down .1 or .2gr and see if you can increase the accuracy even more. Also, OAL will effect the accuracy too. After you find the most accurate powder and charge play with the OAL. By the time you're done you might end up with a sub-MOA load if you and the rifle barrel are up to it!!! Just remember, that will be the accurate load for that rifle using those components. Change the rifle or a major component and you start all over again.

Double check everything you do and have fun testing all the rounds you will make. That's the fun part, shooting all the rounds!

PecosRiverM
January 7, 2009, 05:18 AM
ArchAngelCD
I know you were just being helpful. I bought the factory ammo to sight in the scope. I just thought I could also save powder by finding what speed the rifle liked the best.

My reloading setup is at my Dad's house (260 miles away). So I tinker alittle between trips to his house.

Between my Dad's teaching and this board I'm learning alot about reloading.

ArchAngelCD
January 8, 2009, 03:41 AM
Ouch, without having the reloading equipment close at hand it will be hard to work on different loads. Good luck finding the best combination for your gun...

PecosRiverM
January 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
I know... I might have to break down and buy another setup for here. Just can't make myself get 2 of everything yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just back from the Range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!