Pistol Rest

PDA

NIB Shooter
September 25, 2003, 09:52 AM
Can anyone recommend a good rest that will work with revolvers and pistols?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Rest" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Graystar
September 25, 2003, 10:07 AM
I like my Outers Pistol Perch. Here are a couple of pictures of the pistol and rifle rest. I don't know if the prices are good. I forgot what I paid for mine.

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/outers.htm

BTW I removed the sheepskin and glued down a piece of felt I got from the fabric store. The felt still protects the finish but doesn't compress nearly as much as the sheepskin.

larryw
September 25, 2003, 11:07 AM
I don't like to use anything that supports the barrel of a pistol as even minor pressure can affect POI (point of impact). I use sandbags, range bag, rolled up towels, sweatshirt, etc. to support my forearms, wrists and butt of the grip. I shoot rested only when firing new ammo loads to see which ones group best.

When sighting in a pistol, I shoot it as I normally would and adjust the sights so the group is centered around POA (point of aim). Many do this because they shoot and sight a pistol differently when supported than when unsupported, resulting in shifts in POI (point of impact).

The supported firing will tell you what the gun is capable of, but for my money, final tuning is best done offhand (or however you'll be shooting the gun).

NIB Shooter
September 25, 2003, 11:37 AM
larryw

I was shooting my new 1911 this weekend from a rest. All Shots where high and to the right. When I shot offhand all shots were Dead Center..........!

If you enjoyed reading about "Pistol Rest" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!