Trail Boss in 44-40

PDA

harro
January 3, 2009, 04:52 AM
G'day

I'm a new guy with a question you may be able to help with.
The information I have says that a maximum load of 6.5 grains of trail Boss ,with a 200 grain lead projectile ,should produce 825 fps out of a 6 inch barrelled pistol.Now I plan to shoot with a Winchester model 94 rifle. I can't seem to find any information about muzzle velocity in rifles. Can anyone tell me what the approx speed with this load will be . In other words how does this powder perform in a longer barrel

Thankyou

harro

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail Boss in 44-40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
January 3, 2009, 08:22 AM
They seldom deliver the advertised velocity determined in minimum bore and chamber test barrels. I got the following in real guns:

.44-40 Starline brass, 200 gr RNFP, Winchester LP primer, 6.5 grains Trail Boss

Cimarron SA 7.5" barrel ---- 753 fps
Winchester 92 24" barrel -- 1007 fps

Peter M. Eick
January 3, 2009, 09:28 AM
Your load is what I use. 6.5 grns with a 200 grn Lasercast flat point lead bullet. It feels like about 1000 fps out of my henry but I have not had the chrono out to try it out.

It is a good load in my gun.

Harve Curry
January 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
An all time favorite powder to consider is Alliant's UNIQUE for the 44-40. Used to be made by Hercules. There is plenty of reloading data online and in books for the 44-40 and Unique. It can be very accurate in the 44-40 and burns clean at the velocities you mentioned, 850 to 1200 FPS.You will get alot more shots per pound and is less expensive then Trailboss. In the Win 94 you have you don't have to worry about a weak firearm action.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trail Boss in 44-40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!