Gun Movies You Wish They'd Make

PDA

Nightcrawler
January 15, 2003, 07:54 PM
Here's my big one: a historically accurate, "We Were Soldiers"-esque movie about Sergeant York. There hasn't been a good Great War movie in awhile, and the man DID win a Medal of Honor (good movie material, if you ask me).

Aside from generally better gun handling in general (I'd like to see more movie gunfights like those in Way of the Gun; realistic, but still very exciting) I'd like to see some more varieties of guns.

PISTOLS:

CZ-97B
CZ-52
Kahr 9mm or .40
Springfield XD
S&W 25-5
Taurus Tracker
Anything in .41 Magnum
More Revolvers in General

RIFLES:

Marlin .30-30 (our action hero could use one quite effectively)
FAL/L1A1
M14/M1A
M1 Garand (but NOT in a WWII movie; used in a modern context!)
VEPR

SHOTGUNS:

Benelli Nova
Neostead
Mossberg with Sidewinder Drum Conversion

Just some thoughts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Movies You Wish They'd Make" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
January 15, 2003, 08:09 PM
i wish they'd make a documentary based around the Knob Creek gatherings of TFL/THRers.

and maybe another predator movie, but set back in time during WWII, and the allied and axis could have a mutual enemy to fight against. but the predator should have lesser tech-weapons (no lasers or guided anything), and do more hand-to-hand combat. they could use the introduction of the Stg44 and Kalishnakovs as better ways to combat the predator.

El Tejon
January 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
Unintended Consequences!

I have plenty of ideas for the casting of Cindy Caswell.:D

Chris Rhines
January 15, 2003, 08:38 PM
UC would be better done as a TV miniseries rather than a theatrical release. It's just too damn long.

F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series is going to be seen on the big screen before too long. It has a few guns (and an anarchist hero... :D) I'm very hopeful.

I'd love to see Kings of the High Frontier as a movie. I'm afraid, though, that it would have the same problem as UC. Still, the scene where Lawrence Pourbelle is taking off in the Nomad, with a couple of hundred private private planes circling the runway to keep the Air Force F-16s off his back... That would be pretty powerful.

- Chris

4v50 Gary
January 15, 2003, 08:53 PM
Skunkabilly's blonde using her Minigun on Al Qaeda. Death from Above - and from a female. :evil:

NewShooter78
January 15, 2003, 09:10 PM
I've started reading Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy...seems like it would be a pretty cool movie.

BerettaNut92
January 15, 2003, 09:12 PM
A modern Unforgiven.

"You shot an unarmed man!"

"He shoulda moved to a state with shall-issue CCW."

Redlg155
January 15, 2003, 09:25 PM
Rainbox Six is an excellent book. I loved every bit of it!

All I want to see is a good gun movie with a couple of things..

1. Characters actually run out of ammunition. If your battle load is 210 rounds, it's kinda silly that you can keep fighting after you've burned up at least twice as much without bumming ammo or breaking open your pack for more.

2. They actually take weapons, food and ammunition from the dead freindlies and enemies. I never understood when the guys were crying about low ammo but there were scores of loaded enemy weapons scattered around them.

And my personal pet peeve...Ok, remember in XXX the movie? Well, he has this rifle and starts pulling the trigger but all you hear are click, click, click. Then the lady shoots the BG and tells him he has his safety still on. If his safety was on then why was his weapon clicking like a double action revolver?

Good SHooting
RED

spacemanspiff
January 15, 2003, 11:14 PM
oooo oooo oooo! stephen kings "Dark Tower: The Gunslinger". Roland would whoop boo-tay all over midworld.

Zundfolge
January 15, 2003, 11:17 PM
I've started reading Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy...seems like it would be a pretty cool movie.

By the time you get to the end of it you'll see why Hollyweird won't ever make a Rainbow Six movie (unless they replace the radical environmentalist badguys with Neo-Nazis like they did the Islamists in "Sum of all Fears" :rolleyes: )

swingset
January 15, 2003, 11:56 PM
A cool gun movie would be a modern "saving private ryan" realistic portrayal of Simo Häyhä, the most prolific sniper in history.

It'll have to be foreign made, because hollywood is incapable of a foreign tale without ****ing it up (U-571 comes to mind), but still it would be kewl!

http://my_gunsite.tripod.com/mygunsite/id25.html

Sactown
January 16, 2003, 12:01 AM
I'd like to see Starship Troopers made to Heinlein's book. Not that Hollyweird perversion of the novel. MI guys flying in their armor dropping nukes and blasting bugs. Jeez, I hope I don't start a bash thread on the ST movie, there's so much to bash about it.

Zundfolge
January 16, 2003, 12:38 AM
/me buys Sactown a beer

http://www.glocktalk.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif

Sactown
January 16, 2003, 01:00 AM
...and you don't even want to get me started on what Hollyweird did to Dune.

hansolo
January 16, 2003, 01:33 AM
"Battleground!" Oscar for Original Screenplay, 1949....
Written by my Dad, Robert Pirosh(he fought in Battle of the Bulge):rolleyes:

sixgun_symphony
January 16, 2003, 03:16 AM
I would like to see a new Western/Action movie about Billy Dixon at the battle of Adobe Walls.

dude
January 16, 2003, 03:43 AM
The Gunslinger series by Stephen King (but I don't think a 24 hour moive would go over well)

and a decent version of Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger...........one that actually follows the book, instead of Indiana Jones joins the CIA

btw- you have seen and enjoied more Stephen King Movies than you know

NewShooter78
January 16, 2003, 07:32 AM
Sactown...
Did you see the movie that the SciFi channel made for Dune. I relly like this one way better than the original movie. They are supposed to be coming out with another instalment soon. I can't remember the title, maybe its Sons of Dune?

ReadyontheRight
January 16, 2003, 10:19 AM
NewShooter78 -- I agree that the SciFi version of Dune was excellent. The new one is "Children of Dune" -- coming out this Spring.

I'd like to see a movie made of a Stephen Hunter book. Preferably "Time to Hunt". Or a movie about Carlos Hathcock, the US Marine upon whom Hunter modeled Bob Lee Swagger.

"Time to Hunt" captures a lot of the feelings of the 60s from both military and protester points of view -- which got really muddled together late in the war. This book captures this better than any I've read. It even has evil CIA types -- which Hollywood loves -- and a lot of action.

MK11
January 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
Supposedly they were going to make Stephen Hunter's "Point of Impact" with Tommy Lee Jones but decided a sniper protagonist was too touchy, so they canned it.

ReadyontheRight
January 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
My wife and I have always thought Tom Clancy's "Without Remorse" would make a great movie.

Who do you all think would be a good actor for the young John Clark? I always pictued Ed Harris when reading the book -- regular-looking guy who can quickly turn into a steely-eyed bad-*** (a-la Enemy at the Gates), but he's too old for a 20-something John Clark.

ReadyontheRight
January 16, 2003, 10:40 AM
Supposedly they were going to make Stephen Hunter's "Point of Impact" with Tommy Lee Jones but decided a sniper protagonist was too touchy, so they canned it.

Bummer about "Point of Impact" falling through. Us gunnys would love the all-sniper plot, but I think "Time to Hunt" would reach a larger audience.

Smoke
January 16, 2003, 10:49 AM
I liked Rainbow SIx as well but I think Without Remorse would make a better movie.

MarineTech
January 16, 2003, 11:10 AM
I'd have to give a nod to No Remorse also. That's a book just screaming for a movie.

I'd also nominate any of the Elvis Cole detective novells by Robert Crais. All of them are excellent reading. I just hope they'd come up with a decent actor for Joe Pike.

Fed168
January 16, 2003, 01:03 PM
I would like to see films on the Swagger triology. Heck, even the books about his father.

MP-44
January 16, 2003, 01:26 PM
I would like to see Harry Turtledove's World War series made into a mini series.

buzz_knox
January 16, 2003, 02:32 PM
Stephen Hunter's Pale Horse Coming would be an excellent movie, as would his other books.

Without Remorse would be a great movie but I doubt if it would get made. Gun wielding vigilante who gets away with it? Nope. Not PC enough.

Nightcrawler
January 16, 2003, 04:26 PM
Gun wielding vigilante who gets away with it? Nope. Not PC enough.

I don't know. They made FOUR Death Wish movies with Charles Bronson. Not exactly A-list flicks, but they did well enough to keep making sequels...

bad_dad_brad
January 16, 2003, 08:56 PM
How about John Ross' "Unintended Consequenses." That tome could be a mini-series. Never happen.

Schuey2002
January 25, 2003, 07:10 AM
A new Dirty Harry flick. Or Heat 2 with a new cast of baddies vs. Al Pacino..

But, I'd settle for Aliens vs. Predator .. :D

NIGHTWATCH
January 25, 2003, 10:28 AM
Something close to "The Patriot". Except with a detailed analogy of the abuse of law that preceded the attempt to disarm the colonials, up til the first shot fired in resistance. With all the gore and brutality of the british empire, and the obvious choice we faced in its presence.

I was reading a chapter in Larry Pratts (GOA director) book "On the firing line". In it there was one account of a southern plantation that was overrun by british troops. The owners were beheaded. And a pregnant womans womb was cut open and the baby hung from a tree, with the words enscribed beside it "Give no birth to rebels". This is the kind of tyranny that our founding fathers witnessed firsthand and what motivated the kind of courage we read about but fail to truly relate to. I would like to see a movie that cuts us to the core. Not the glossed over, PC versions caught in the span of 2 hours.

sixgun_symphony
January 27, 2003, 03:05 AM
More Westerns!

More early Western Frontier too! (mountain men)

Justin
January 27, 2003, 03:16 AM
...and you don't even want to get me started on what Hollyweird did to Dune. David Lynch was so upset with how the studio suits edited (read that 'cut prolifically') his version of 'Dune' that he took his name off of it, and attached to it the moniker used by any director who wants to disavow a film he directed: Alan Smithee.But, I'd settle for Aliens vs. Predator .. This movie actually went so far as to begin early pre-production a few years ago.
Until Sigourney Weaver quashed the whole thing.:cuss:

BamBam-31
January 27, 2003, 05:04 AM
The Princess Bride, Pt. II. ;) :D

modifiedbrowning
January 27, 2003, 10:35 AM
Buckaroo Banzai vs The World Crime League!!:neener:

mjustice
January 27, 2003, 10:36 AM
Without Remorse would be a great movie, as long as they find someone other than Will DaFoe to play Clark.

UC would be an amazing movie if done properly. But it would have to be a miniseries because you could not tell the story in 90 minutes or two hours.

I love to see a documentary about lawful use of CCW. Maybe they could play it on PBS here in NYC. Then again, maybe pigs can fly...

MJ

Cosmoline
January 27, 2003, 05:08 PM
Second the nomination for more .30/30 Winchesters. For one of the most popular rifles of all time in North America, you rarely see them. "Streets of Fire" featured one, IIRC. But that's a pretty obscure action movie.

Ian
January 27, 2003, 05:27 PM
"Without Remorse" could be a really, really good movie. Better still would be a properly done movie version of "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Or how about F Paul Wilson's "An Enemy of the State"?

We could also use a good movie about he writing and ratification of the Constitution - Federalists vs anti-Federalists, and exploring the deep philosophical differences between Jefferson and Hamilton, plus the roles of Madison, Washington, and others.

spacemanspiff
January 27, 2003, 05:37 PM
actually justin, as of last summer, plans for alien vs predator were still on board.

news item from 8-6-02 (http://www.darkworlds.com/dw/home_eua.html?inner_frame=show_article_eua.html&NodeID=6024&track_num=1043706833_32211_917233886)

MrAcheson
January 27, 2003, 05:44 PM
Dunno, the guy playing Mr Clark in Sum of all Fears did a good job. He had about the right look as well, but he was probably too old.

bogie
January 27, 2003, 05:50 PM
I'd like to see Harry Callahan retire.

And become a "civilian."

Be _real_ interesting to see what happens...

Heh...

Schuey2002
January 27, 2003, 06:00 PM
Justin dashes my hopes. :o
Until Sigourney Weaver quashed the whole thing
Then, Spacemanspiff comes to the rescue.:D
...as of last summer, plans for alien vs predator were still on board.

Dave R
January 27, 2003, 06:23 PM
About half of the horror movies ever made would make fine firearms flicks. If the writers would give the victims firearms.

I'm thinking, cross "Signs" with Tremors' Burt Gummer, and you could have something pretty good.

Or "Night of the Living Dead", with a well-armed populace, might wind up being "Night of the Dead".

hansolo
January 27, 2003, 06:45 PM
How about one for the kids:

"Harry Potter and the Magic Browning Hi-Power"

:neener:

Peter Gun
January 27, 2003, 08:05 PM
Now that special effects technology is up to it, I would love to see Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" as a movie. It would be expensive and probably 4 hours long, but could be amazing. If that ones too politically obsolete, how about "Sword Point" by Harold Coyle, or the other book of his that revists the same scenario w/out the Russians. Both of those books give the most realistic view of unlimited modern warfare. I think this would be valuable education for the masses. I've been getting very tired of debating morons about Iraq who think that their conventional army would last more than an hour against our war machine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Movies You Wish They'd Make" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!