Decent goose hunt today

PDA

MCgunner
January 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
Booked a hunt south of town with a guy I used last year. We did better this year. Fun hunt. Fog holding with a pretty low ceiling meant the birds were low over the deeks, way it ought to be. The 10 gauge worked well, kills 'em rather dead out to 50 yards, but it's not magic past 50, found that out. It can tag 'em out to that, though with T shot, an improvement over my efforts with BB steel in 12 gauge 3". I'd been fine with the 12 today, though, most shots inside 35 yards. They were working well.

Not a limit, but a good mess if birds. I'm in the center.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh305/goose150/PICT0244.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Decent goose hunt today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shawnee
January 4, 2009, 05:30 PM
Congrats on a fine hunt, McG.!!!
I should have swung down your way and joined you instead of plowing through Dallas and down the I-35 raceway to New Braunfels.:(
What 10ga. do you have ?

:cool:

MCgunner
January 4, 2009, 05:56 PM
Just a little single shot H&R, but at one point, I actually had the barrel hot. LOL! My buddy bought a Browning BPS 10. Nice gun, I just didn't wanna sink that sorta money into a special purpose gun. I managed to shoot fewer rounds, too. Those blasted things are a buck a piece and he was unloading the gun on many occasions. LOL! Dustin, Larry's boy, was using a Mossberg 835 Ultimag.

Ya know, the recoil wasn't THAT bad. Couple of times over my strong side shoulder, I got it on my collar bone. That sorta hurt. But, if I mounted the gun right, the gun ain't that bad. Guys on the shotgun forum had me thinking I'd be in the hospital for a week. :rolleyes:

Shawnee
January 4, 2009, 09:10 PM
Heck - therecoil didn't even knock your hat off !

That's always a good day !:D

MCgunner
January 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
You were in New Braunsfels? That's only about 2 hours from here. Pretty up there and good beer. :D

Guide was telling me he hunted with some folks one week and a 10 year old kid was shooting a Remington SP10. He said on the last day, the boy was too sore to shoot. He asked the kid how much ammo he'd fired that week. NINE boxes! ROFLMAO! Some of the guys on the shotgun forum must be girly men. :D

Yeah, the SP10 is an auto and shoots softer, but I say again...10 years old.....10 gauge 3 1/2"....NINE BOXES.

Impressed me, anyway. :D

Shawnee
January 5, 2009, 07:28 AM
I am in New Braunfels (Canyon Lake, actually) until April 29th. Rented a great cabin with the Guadalupe river at my back doorstep. They stocked the Guad with Rainbow Trout three days ago.:D Except for weekends I practically own the Guad here. :D

:cool:

MCgunner
January 5, 2009, 08:28 AM
We used to have a condo share up there. It's pretty. Been on the lake a few times with a pontoon boat I had and riding river road on a motorcycle is sorta the thing to do. :D Real estate prices....well, don't ask if you can't afford it. LOL

MCgunner
January 5, 2009, 08:33 AM
delete double post

If you enjoyed reading about "Decent goose hunt today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!